View Diary: Sex (161 comments)

•  *Tristan Taormino*??!!! (6+ / 0-)

Good God.

Who in the world sees Tristan Taormino as somehow representative of transpeople?

Frankly, I've never seen Tristan as representative of anyone or anything except her own attention-seeking self.  But I have to admit, I would've expected a liberal academic community to "get it" a little better than that by now.  Guess I'd have been wrong, huh?

Great diary, Robyn, and a very important subject.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 05:19:38 PM PST

•  I have to admit that I didn't know who she was... (5+ / 0-)
      triciawyse, kyril, Marja E, pantherq, Aji

...until earlier today, but then I have never ever listened to Howard Stern.

So all I know, I read on the Interweb.

•  Don't feel bad, I didn't know until I used (4+ / 0-)
        rserven, kyril, pantherq, Aji

teh Google to find out...

Economic: -7.62 Social: -5.74
        Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

by triciawyse on Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 05:24:01 PM PST

•  Which, to me, raises another question: (4+ / 0-)
          triciawyse, crose, kyril, annieli

If she's not that well known, why couldn't the person organizing the program do just a little extra research and find some folks who were members of the trans community?

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 05:34:36 PM PST

•  There is even a transwoman... (6+ / 0-)
            Heiuan, triciawyse, kyril, annieli, hpchicago, Aji

...running for office in Colorado, I believe...or was.

By the way, re: your .sig, my former sister-in-law is an Aleut basketweaver.

•  I love (3+ / 0-)
            rserven, kyril, Aji

Wing's site, Aji. Wings looks like my Dad. But then my Dad could "pass" as Greek, Italian, Native American, Irish...

I lived in New Mexico for three years--anthropology student at UNM. I worked in Old Town selling native arts for two different stores. I learned a lot about jewelry making that way, and then filled in the gaps when I came back to Wyoming. I still miss the smell of pinyon smoke and roasting chiles.

Taos is just...Taos. sigh...

Mal: "...So then the Shepherd says to the Companion, "Well, a good goat'll do that."

by crose on Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 11:52:23 PM PST

•  Thank you, crose! (3+ / 0-)
              rserven, crose, kyril

I'll pass along the compliment when I talk to him this morning (I'm out of town right now).  All the silverwork and photography are his; I just maintain the Web site and write the content.

Your dad must have been a good-looking man, then (not that I'm biased or anything). :-)  What was his ancestry?  My family's Ojibwe, but there's black Irish on my mother's side (and some African American and some German in the family tree, too).  Wings, OTOH, is 100% Tiwa - he can trace his ancestry, undiluted, back about a millennium, which is really rare anymore.

The Taos area is special.  We live on tribal land that's been in his family forever, with the mountain practically in our living room.  I miss our people's own lands, but this has become home to me now - and at the moment, I miss it terribly, because I've been away for three weeks.  Going home next week, just for a week, but I can't wait!

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 07:51:20 AM PST

•  Oh, my Dad (2+ / 0-)
                rserven, Aji

was a good looking man! He was English and Scottish on one side and Irish and some such on the other. Great head of black hair, dark brown eyes ringed with blue, distinguished and all that. He wasn't tall, but he was a looker.

I assume that you and Wings are together, then? ;8>)] Nice work! he does nice work too--his pieces resemble mine, simple, all about the stone.

I wish I had collected more Taos pottery. I have two of Alma Concha's mudhead figures from when she lived at Taos. One is barely an inch tall. But I really missed out by not buying some mica pots. I still love that texture.

That is some mountain to have in the living room.

Have a great home visit.

by crose on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 12:46:05 AM PST

•  "He wasn't tall, but he was a looker." (2+ / 0-)
                  rserven, crose

Same with Wings.  He's actually an inch or so shorter than I am - but who cares? :-)  And, yes, indeedy, we are together - for several years now.

Do you have a Web site where I can see pix of your pieces?  I always like to know of good people to refer folks to - we sometimes have customers who are looking for something specific that doesn't necessarily need to be Native-made, so I "collect" other artists' Web sites for referrals.

We also carry some art by other Native artists, including a number of potters.  Angie Yazzie and Henrietta Gomez (who have pieces in the bottom of the "Collectibles" gallery on the Web site) do unbelievably beautiful work - but they're also incredibly expensive.  But we also have a some pieces by a few other potters - Lawrence Lujan, Anthony Duran of Picuris Pueblo, a couple of others.  And I think we've got one or two of Buck Romero's little seed pots left.  If you're ever in the market, let me know and I'll send you photos of what we have at that time.  [We'll also give you a good price, but we won't pressure you to buy anything, ever.  Goes against our philosophy. :-)]

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 07:35:41 AM PST

•  I wish I did (3+ / 0-)
                    rserven, kyril, Aji

have some online images of my work. My portfolio is so old that all the images are in slide format, and I haven't taken images of any of the newer stuff. That doesn't mean I can't do it though and zip a few off to you. I haven't done any jewelry for three years--jeweler's block--but I have some pieces that are unsold and in storage I could photograph for you. I used to be in the Wyoming Arts Council's slide bank but I haven't updated in so long I'm probably in limbo.

I am familiar with Lawrence Lujan's work. I think it's great that Picuris is still making great potters.

Besides activism, what kind of art do you do, aji?

by crose on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 11:28:23 PM PST

•  I don't, to speak of. (2+ / 0-)
                      rserven, kyril

I dabble with paints a little.  The writing is my thing (and I make a few medicine items).  But Wings is the artistic genius in this family. :-)

You should get some photos of your newer stuff, too - but if you ever feel like sending me the pix you do have, the contact form on the Web site goes straight to my inbox.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Mon Mar 08, 2010 at 05:00:28 AM PST

•  [Chuckle] if you ask me . . . (3+ / 0-)
        triciawyse, rserven, kyril

you haven't missed anything.  I never listen to Stern, either; I only knew who she is because toward the end of the period when I lived in NYC, she had a column in the Village Voice.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 05:30:42 PM PST