View Diary: Saturday Night Loser's Club, Vol. CXCIX: Oscars Denied Edition (162 comments)

•  And backwards: (5+ / 0-)

Donat had lost the year before to Spencer Tracy in Boystown, although he should have been nominated/won in 1935 for The 39 Steps, where he does a better Clark Gable than Clark Gable ever did.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 04:47:54 PM PST

•  I was never a big fan (5+ / 0-)

of Clark Gable or Spencer Tracy.

Ronald Coleman, Claude Rains, Frederick March, Bogart - I'll watch just about any movie they're in.
      And just about any movie directed by Hitchock.

Cary Grant - The best of them all. Funny funny funny.

•  Have you seen The 39 Steps? (5+ / 0-)

Donat just chomps into that screenplay like no one else.  It's hard to pinpoint a best moment for him: improvising a political speech while wearing handcuffs? pretending to be suave while cracking in front of the spy who's about to shoot him? making up stories about his lifelong criminality to his unamused captive?  I love him in that movie.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 05:00:56 PM PST

•  I'm sort of the same way about.... (2+ / 0-)
        pico, New Horizon

....Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston, to cite two political polar opposites among the Hollywood set.  Good-looking male leads of authority, of course, but not particularly awesome actors, at least IMHO.

Of Hitchcock's 53 or so main features, I've seen something like 30, I think, including some of the early stuff (e.g. Blackmail).

"It's only in books that the officers of the detective force are superior to the weakness of making a mistake." (Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone)

by chingchongchinaman on Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 09:01:44 PM PST

•  Good points - (2+ / 0-)
          chingchongchinaman, pico

Peck and Heston were never very inspiring actors. I would add Clint Eastwood to that list as well, except that I really enjoyed his performance in Unforgiven, which I thought was a very very good picture. But other than that, I've never cared for any of his work. I always found him to be boring. With the full knowledge of course that I am in the minority on this one.

Hitchcock was the first director whose work I was familiar with at a young age. The only other big name out of Hollywood I remember as a kid was Walt Disney. Hitchcock was pretty well known in my mother's generation of course, yet as kids, he kind of became our director because of The Birds and Psycho, and then his tv program. He just loved to scare the daylights out of us kids. lol

•  Another big name (2+ / 0-)
            chingchongchinaman, pico

whose acting I didn't like was Henry Fonda. No personality whatsoever.

•  He had an aw-shucks cluelessness (2+ / 0-)
              chingchongchinaman, New Horizon

that was well-served by certain roles.  I can't think of anyone else as Tom Joad.  And the indescribably weird Young Mr. Lincoln.  There are reams written about this bizarre, almost gothic sequence:

Otherwise, you're right, he's not someone I think of when I think "great".  Even if I've liked a lot of his films (12 Angry Men, etc.)

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 09:30:39 PM PST

•  12 Angry Men (2+ / 0-)
                chingchongchinaman, pico

I did like that movie. Great cast.

Van Heflin is an actor who gave it all in every one of his roles. I had read that the studios thought he had the talent to be a terrific leading man, but they didn't think he was good looking enough, so they kept him in character roles, which in the end served him well.

Alan Ladd I liked. And I thought Audie Murphy was a damn good actor.

•  interestingly, Halliwell's Film Encyclopedia.... (1+ / 0-)
                pico

....describes Henry Fonda, with a honorary "rosette" next to his name, as one of Halliwell's chosen cinema greats, more or less like this:

"For being a 40-year paradox: a self-effacing star."

The film that Halliwell chose as showing HF at his best was 12 Angry Men.  I saw that in high school, after we'd read the play.

by chingchongchinaman on Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 10:06:29 PM PST

•  little-known Henry Fonda film you might.... (2+ / 0-)
              pico, New Horizon

.....find marginally worth your time, The Male Animal (1942), a college comedy which isn't a great film, far from it, but HF is enjoyable in it.

by chingchongchinaman on Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 10:04:19 PM PST