View Diary: Follow the Lead in Arkansas - Continue the 50 State Strategy (25 comments)

•  OH-Sen (2+ / 0-)
    v2aggie2, alpolitics

I have not heard any reasons not to support Lee Fisher, the other prominent Democrat in the race, while Brunner cannot seem to raise money.  The Republican will have enormous amounts of money.  Why should I support her?

I know you said you haven't heard much about the race, but I'm hoping someone can answer that.

"Intolerance is something which belongs to the religions we have rejected." - J.J. Rousseau

by James Allen on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 06:54:42 PM PST

•  difference between Brunner and Fisher (3+ / 0-)

in Brunner's words

What do you think is the big difference between you and Lee Fisher?

What seems to be happening in the race is that I'll make a very clear statement on a position that may be controversial, and then he'll usually catch up and speak in a more bland way about that issue.  For instance, the Stupak-Pitts amendment that was adopted in order to get the health-bill reform passed out of the House of Representatives: I came out very strongly on it, and later [Fisher] finally made a statement about it.

On gay marriage, he started out saying he could be convinced, and once I came out strongly for it, he was for it. On the Employee Free Choice Act, I came out strongly for it, and finally, at a state-party dinner, he said in one simple sentence that he supports it.

...What's the next generation of industry that can revive the Ohio economy, and what kind of skills will Ohioans need to take advantage of that?

Ohio stands to gain greatly from bringing the public and private sector together to develop clean-energy jobs

•  I'd rather hear someone else other than her. (1+ / 0-)
        alpolitics

She's kind of biased and that's campaign rhetoric.  And Ohio isn't Vermont; I'm willing to not have the most aggressive progressive candidate if it means we can win the seat.  I haven't heard anything about Fisher that has disturbed me enough to pick sides.

by James Allen on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 07:04:34 PM PST

•  good points (1+ / 0-)
          James Allen

It's not one I'm pushing that hard.

•  brunner is one of the good ones (2+ / 0-)
          Ckntfld, Casual Wednesday

she had to clean up Ohio's elections in the wake of ken blackwell.  she's basically OH's equivalent of Halter, i.e., challenging the establishment candidate.

and since i'm already in here, may i also mention the NC and IA races:

Elaine Marshall

Roxanne Conlin

People are upset Obama hasn't solved all the problems yet. C'mon, he's only been in office one year...the man went to Harvard, not Hogwarts. - Wanda Sykes

by Cedwyn on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 07:09:11 PM PST

•  Doesn't answer my question. (1+ / 0-)
            v2aggie2

I know some of you are gung-ho for Brunner, but with her anemic fund raising I don't see how she can win the general election.  Why is Fisher, who has raised significantly more money, so bad that we should support someone less likely to actually win the general election?

I see no reason for me to get involved in this race.

by James Allen on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 07:16:01 PM PST

•  backwards (3+ / 0-)
              Ckntfld, v2aggie2, Casual Wednesday

brunner is the only one with a chance to beat portman; she has a recent record of demonstrable success as SoS.  fisher has only losses in recent history.  why he's the establishment choice is baffling, but if we can get brunner through the primary, she'll have all that official backing and will kick portman's ass.

fisher's a limp noodle; while he may have more money, his ground game is teh suck. apparently, he was having to pay signature gatherers like mccain had to...hahaha.

remember how "inevitable" the clinton machine was?  brunner can do this.

by Cedwyn on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 07:20:42 PM PST

•  I don't see it. (1+ / 0-)
                v2aggie2

The Democratic nominee doesn't need money parity with the Republican, but they will need an enormous amount.  The battle that resulted in Jeff Merkley in the senate was $48 million dollars altogether, in a much smaller state than Ohio (in terms of population and media markets).  This will cost a great deal of money, even with a grassroots campaign, and I don't see her raising that so far.

by James Allen on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 07:24:36 PM PST

•  but when she wins the primary (1+ / 0-)
                  Casual Wednesday

she'll have party money and backing.  it's a completely different ballgame then.  right now, that support is going to fisher and brunner is still holding her own.

by Cedwyn on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 08:00:43 PM PST

•  You can't make that assumption. (0+ / 0-)

In Oregon in 2002 Bill Bradbury ran against Gordon Smith and couldn't raise enough money to get significant national party support.  In 2008 Jeff Merkley, the establishment candidate who was criticized for being boring, too moderate and cautious, and not having what it takes to beat Smith, narrowly overcame the insurgent candidate in the primary who had the support of many progressives and went on to beat Smith in the general.

Sometimes nominees don't get much establishment support.  Sometimes boring establishment candidate can win.

by James Allen on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 08:28:24 PM PST

•  I would say Brunner would make more of a impact (0+ / 0-)

Both candidates can win, but Brunner seems like she'd be more dynamic and make more of a difference in the Senate. Fisher is like Michael Bennett from Colorado. He all but screams "colorless backbencher."

•  Ahem: (1+ / 0-)
      CornSyrupAwareness

Nobody put it better than Casual Wednesday:

Jennifer Brunner supports:
         Health Care Reform
         Global Warming Legislation
         Protecting US workers from outsourcing
         Second Amendment Rights while recognizing some people (read: felons) should not have guns
         Marriage Equality
         Reproductive Rights

Plus, she's a Kossack

Link

If you're gonna play the game, boy, you better learn to play it right.

by Casual Wednesday on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 08:17:42 PM PST

•  I've heard enough about her, as I said. (2+ / 0-)

I want to hear why Fisher is so bad.  He seems more electable, why is he so bad that it's not worth being more electable?

by James Allen on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 08:21:47 PM PST

•  Some others above have (3+ / 0-)

given some critiques that I don't disagree with. He seems like the run of the mill, establishment Democrat with little to offer the Netroots.

I looked up the contributions for the Ohio candidates. I did this because you can judge a candidate by the company he/she keeps.

ActBlue is the biggest for both Brunner and Fisher, but she has twice his AB money for that reporting period. (It's now about three to one.) But if you look further down the list, he is getting $10,000+ from banks, energy companies, and what I presume are lawfirms.

Brunner's only other corporate contribution over $10,000 is from Chavez Properties. The only thing I could find about them is their plans to build an office complex in Cincinnati in 2002.

However, if you look at this list, you will find Fisher's main contributor is lawyers with Democratic/Liberal 6th, while that is Brunner's top contributor.

Finally, I looked up Fisher's site and compared the issues I listed. They are not all that far apart. He even wants to end the filibuster. So we need a breaking point one way or the other. Jennifer came here to DKos and asked for our vote and our money. Fisher has not.

When it gets down to it, Progressive Dems can probably vote for either in the general election without too much nose holding. Still, I would prefer to see Brunner with the chance to take the Senate seat.

If you're gonna play the game, boy, you better learn to play it right.

by Casual Wednesday on Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 08:46:37 PM PST

• Economy (19)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Riots (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site