View Diary: Soj's Old Tyme FAQ and Jamboree (70 comments)

•  I think info on how to limit (3.50)
    img width is helpful as well [img src="http:// gif " width="250"] change [ ] to <> and remove the spaces in the sample url Also, no hotlinking to small blogs, sites, organizations other than your own. There are free photo viewing sites - use on of these. Hotlinking from small sites can be very costly and is a form of stealing.

Today's comment: Confessions of rad-liberal

visit dailydraftdispatch.org

by Liberation Learning on Sun Jan 09, 2005 at 12:00:40 PM PST

•  I'm also thinking (3.50)
      that meta-diarists should all be taught the ASCII character code so that you don't have to do what you just did (that whole "replace [ and ] with < and >") or what soj did ("remove the spaces").

The sequence ampersand-l-t-semicolon or &lt; produces a "less-than" symbol, which begins all the tags.  Replacing the first left angle in any demonstration tag with that sequence (&lt;) gives you <, and that's enough to fool the browser so as not to turn it into a real link.

These people looked deep within my soul and assigned me a number based on the order in which I joined. -- Homer Simpson

by folkbum on Sun Jan 09, 2005 at 12:07:16 PM PST

•  In defense of photos (3.83)

I use a lot of photos in my diaries.  Here's the most recent:

Soj is correct that images can greatly add to bandwidth -- because some images are very large in terms of file size. But they don't have to.

I pop each photo into Photoshop, and reduce the size of the image as much as I can without losing the detail.  This reduces the file size too.

Then I host each photo at ImageShack.us -- a great service that I see a lot of people here use.

Also:  ImageShack provides the correct IMG TAG for you to use.  So you can just copy, and paste, their tag.  Also, ImageShack measures the size of the image for you so all that is included in the IMG tag.

If you don't have Photoshop, you can download many other programs, including PaintShopPro.

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sun Jan 09, 2005 at 12:44:29 PM PST

•  Also remember (3.71)
        that when "hotlinking" the person you are stealing the image from has total control of that file and can switch the image at will to something inappropriate.  I believe this happened here not too long ago.

Today, I discovered some winger stealing an image off my blog and I switched the url to one of those "Fox News: Keeping you stupid 24/7" icons, which are now displayed in the comments section across wingdom.

Don't be duped by mean people like me across the aisle.

•  your photo use is the best I've seen (none)
        really add to the text
      •  I think soj's main point on the photos (none)
        was to keep them below the fold. This gives people on dial-up the opportunity to not open them if their computer is too slow.  If they are above the fold and show up in the diary section it can be agonizing.

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

by SeattleLiberal on Sun Jan 09, 2005 at 03:53:01 PM PST

•  Although yours is small enough (none)
          That it is probably O.K.

by SeattleLiberal on Sun Jan 09, 2005 at 03:54:24 PM PST

•  Thanks for clarifying ... (none)

that was my point. That they don't need to be large if one just runs them through an image app.

My computer is kind of old and there are many threads -- especially where people plop huge image files in the comments section -- that I just can't open.  It's a bummer.

Susan in Port Angeles (my cat)

by SusanHu on Sun Jan 09, 2005 at 04:08:02 PM PST

•  You should explain why (none)
      Small blogs, pictures and the like are often either subject to caps on how much information they can serve up in a day, or their owners have to pay for bandwidth used, or both. Linking to these sites is usually a no-no, because it either costs people money, or renders their site unavailable, or both. This is called the Slashdot Effect, because it was first noticed in connection with the geek blog Slashdot. While you can't slashdot large sites like the Washington Post, it's fairly easy to do with small-time operators. Just don't do it.

You might also want to mention Imageshack, found at http://www.imageshack.us . It's a free image hosting service, so that when you find that perfect puppy picture for Cheers and Jeers, you can put it up and not destroy someone else's website. Just click the link above; usage of the site is self-explanatory. Don't worry about it getting slashdotted. It's meant to be used with eBay and similar large auction sites. It can take the traffic.

I've figured out how to know what the Republicans are up to. Just listen to what they accuse the Democrats of doing. -- Me

by Our Man In Redmond on Sun Jan 09, 2005 at 03:59:10 PM PST