View Diary: BREAKING - Gov. McDonnell separates from AG, issues order against discrimination (242 comments)

•  Iowa went coed in 1855 (8+ / 0-)

Cornell University in 1870.

I'm stunned that a flagship public university went coed as recently as posters here say Virginia did.

•  Unfortunately, yes (8+ / 1-)

and kicked out Edger Allen Poe for playing craps

Not to mention that duel on the Lawn when the student shot and killed the professor

But we still don't piss on our hands in the restroom like those cretins at Virginia Tech

"Where they burn books, they will ultimately also burn people." - Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1821

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 03:12:23 PM PST

•  Heh (5+ / 0-)

looks like someone is from Virginia Tech

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:00:24 PM PST

•  Troll rated for unnecessary slur on VA Tech (4+ / 0-)

I suppose you're just smarting because we keep creaming your ass in football every year.  The "cretins" at VA Tech were admitting women going back to the 1920s btw.

•  C'mon, it's a joke (6+ / 0-)

I went to JMU...now both of you pile on me LOL

You deserve this frame. It was built for a dummy and it looks good on you. -- Jim Rockford

by GrouchoKossak on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:05:57 PM PST

•  I should troll rate you 'cause JMU rejected me (3+ / 0-)

Hysterically funny but JMU's admission policy had a quota system to limit the number of students from NOVA private schools so they rejected me while VA Tech, UVA and other fine schools sent me big fat acceptance envelopes back in the day.

•  You're probably lucky (3+ / 0-)
              Navy Vet Terp, ferallike, geomoo

I remember Groucho saying that he wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would actually have him as a member - I'm sure it went for colleges too

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:18:46 PM PST

•  Ha! (4+ / 0-)

The wonderful thing about JMU back when I was there (and I've no idea if this is still true) is that there was a Tyson chicken plant just outside of Harrisonburg...and when the wind blew down the valley in the right direction...ugh!

by GrouchoKossak on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:27:13 PM PST

•  Its still there and I swear you can smell it from (4+ / 0-)

I 81.
                  Oh and do I get to jump on you, too? I went to VA Tech from 82-84, GMU from 1999-2002 and I'm currently on hold from my PhD in Clinical Psych at UVA (taking care of my father).

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:35:19 PM PST

•  Jesus (5+ / 0-)

You had to bring Mason into this, didn't you? I can take crap from the UVA and Tech people, but I'll be damned if I'll stand for any shit from a Mason grad ;)

by GrouchoKossak on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:44:08 PM PST

•  PS and OT (2+ / 0-)
                    ferallike, geomoo

Since I haven't seen a comment from you recently.  New info to pass on since you were so willing to help me last summer.

On Feb. 24th, the Board of Veterans Appeals awarded me service-connection for PTSD after 8 long years - I won!  Severe Depressive Disorder and Anxiety Disorder remanded to to Regional Office to clarify if they are secondary to or separate from the PTSD.

So that thing you and your kind husband thought about helping me with last summer - it looks like the people who should have been taking care of it in the first place finally are.  My rating will now go way up from the current 60%.

But thank you for your concern and kind offers.  I think I'm going to be ok now

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:44:22 PM PST

•  I started to hunt you down across the pond (1+ / 0-)
                      Jeffersonian Democrat

because I was so damned worried about you but you were so very adamant about not wanting us to do it, I was afraid it would have been taken as an insult. I'm glad you didn't take it that way. ;^}

I am so f***ing glad to find this out. I cannot impart to you how much my heart swells to hear this! You were living so close to the edge and that infuriated the Husband and I so G** D*** much that you had been left out there with nothing. This is the best news we've heard in months, literally. Hubby sends his congrats too and a big pat on the back for making it through the process. As a fellow govie, he says to tell you he can only surmise the hell you went through!

You still need to keep in touch with me and let me know how you're doing. One of these days, you've got to tell us how this all came about insofar as much as you can with out killing us afterward. ;^P

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 05:24:29 PM PST

•  Lol, no I took it very well (0+ / 0-)

Just too embarrassed to accept.  My pride would have probably dissipated if I lost my living arrangements and ended up homeless which was a possibility for awhile.  But not being a permanent resident, no access to the social safety net and pretty much stranded with no family to speak of to help from the US.  Thank G-d it didn't come to that.

I'm sure you and hubby could have tracked me down as I kept contact with the consulate.

Funny thing, though, the consulate officer in Leipzig didn't understand German.  That's when I speculated she was one of Hubby's colleagues assigned here but with a different specialty.  Simply because it didn't make sense that a career state official didn't have the basic language skills unless she was given a crap job.  And since State runs the show, I imagine the junior colleagues of Hubby always get the crap jobs that state doesn't want (typical government territorial behavior) and then have to go out and do their real jobs at night: two jobs, one paycheck, and no sleep.  Let me know if my analysis was correct.  On second thought don't, I have no need to know and therefore don't want to.  She was extremely helpful in any case and reflects great credit upon her no matter who she worked for.  But it would have been easy to track me down.

In any case, I just got back from an academic conference in Dresden last weekend that my department sent me and my advisor on and got to learn a lot of neat stuff on Anglo-Saxon literature, law, and archeology.  A lot less stressful and much more fun than national security studies - and it doesn't hurt anybody.

So things are getting better and life becoming much more enjoyable.

Thanks to you for your caring and to Hubby I say "De Oppresso Liber" - after all, we both owe our roots to the OSS

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 05:50:27 PM PST

•  I actually tried to go through the State (1+ / 0-)
                          Jeffersonian Democrat

Dept with your name and they told me that unless I had more info, they were unable to help me. I think they thought I was trying to stalk you from across the pond, lol. Hubby tried at work and hit the "need to know" wall. So I tried the primitive way: I called my friend Reiner and asked him if his sisters (one lives in Potsdam and one in Stuttgart) could hunt you down and they couldn't find zip. So you're not that easy to find after all!

Hubby said anyone over there who can't speak the language should never have been stationed there. It's one thing to send someone over who speaks with an Amurikan accent (and that is just unacceptable anyway you look at it but happens) but no one goes TDY without knowing the language as it's pointless and very dangerous in a clandestine sort of way.

They are supposed to be getting rid of contractors in the NCS (DO) and elsewhere but that will take time as you know so they are just keeping in place the current contractors.

Please send me an email and keep in touch, RG. Just because you're not on a ledge anymore doesn't mean we shouldn't keep up with you. What is your PhD going to be in? Besides I desperately need help with refreshing my German as I'm seriously wasting the 2 years of study I had in it. And we're family anyway, you know? Seriously.

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 06:29:34 PM PST

•  Wow, so you guys hit bureaucracy too, even (1+ / 0-)
                            ferallike

with additional access.  Ok, then, I am at: rzg6f at virginia dot edu and live at Am Herrenberge 11, Appt. 212, 07745 Jena

Yep, I'm living in the former DDR where we don't know if our professors were former Stasi informers or not.  My wasn't, he's Swiss, but now I ask if he was Goldman Sachs or USB.  And I am no longer sure what is worse: a banker or a Stasi informer.

Strange, maybe she was a contractor after all.  They have shut down a few consulates in the last couple of years because of budget.  Düsseldorf is one and Bremen and Liepzig are by appointment.

I was basing my thinking off of my own experience.  They took several of us NCOs out of 7th Special Forces Group (Spanish speakers) and had us form a cadre in the new 3rd Special Forces Group dealing with sub-saharan Africa (which kinda sucked when it came to TDY, Per Diem, and the really weird diseases you could catch just by walking through a river-I mean, you really don't want to know about that African microbe that can swim up your urethra).  But they sent us to Portuguese for only 3 months because they would save money as opposed to DLI but thought that we could converse like native when we were done.

So I assumed it would happen elsewhere as well.  I thought that this officer may have studied Swedish but was assigned here due to vacancy and expected to pick it up because German was "Germanic".  That's sort of what I was thinking and would be typical of government incompetence and ignorance.  But really glad to here that Hubby's place has more sense - I wish Special Operations Command did.

I do hope they get rid of the contractors.  When I first went into the military, I knew an old Air America guy who told me: "The Company is bold with their own, they are even bolder with others" and followed up with "never hesitate" which actually was good advice and why I am still here writing this.

My PhD is in something completely useless: the dragon-slayer motif in Germanic Saga and contemporary culture.  Which is why I am trying to bust my a** in picking up Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse at the moment.  But I enjoy it even if I'll never get rich off of it.  Hopefully, I will live happily ever after teaching medieval Heroic Epics to students.  We'll see if that comes to fruition.

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 07:06:16 PM PST

•  Your PhD is not something useless. (1+ / 0-)
                            Jeffersonian Democrat

It sounds extremely interesting as I've been amateurishly studying British history to understand a bit about my genealogy. About 10 years ago, my mother and I found a great deal of information about our genealogy.  My genealogy on one side goes back 33 generations to 1040 AD with a gentleman by the name of Drogo De Monte-Acuto (the family name is Montague) and 23 generations to Katherine de Grandison.

I will finish this in an email, if you're interested, so as to not to hijack teacherken's diary with irrelevant and useless stuff. :P

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 10:45:24 PM PST

•  Actually went to Harrisonburg often (2+ / 0-)
                  ferallike, GrouchoKossak

It was the nearest VA outpatient clinic from Charlottesville.  I could go in the other direction in the same relative amount of time to Richmond, but that was the VA hospital with much longer waits.

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 05:01:49 PM PST

•  And possibly crappier (1+ / 0-)
                    Jeffersonian Democrat

equipment too. I took my grandmother's friend, Muriel to the Richmond VA Hospital ER in 2002. She was in the Marine Corp Women's Reserve in WWII. She had had cataract surgery and had severe eye pressure one day post op. Every piece of equipment they used on her either wasn't working or literally broken in pieces. They eventually got an Opthamologist in there to treat her and he took her to his office in the hospital where only half the exam equipment was broken!

I walked out of there with her thinking what a sad state the VA Hospitals were in with nothing working in of all places, the Emergency Room.

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 05:42:15 PM PST

•  except he wanted to join (0+ / 0-)

the Beverly Hills Club so his daughter could swim.  They rejected him because he was Jewish.  He then noted his daughter was only half Jewish and asked if it would be okay if she went into the pool but promised only to go into water up to her waist.

do we still have a Republic and a Constitution if our elected officials will not stand up for them on our behalf?

by teacherken on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 10:57:16 AM PST

•  Well, I'm from a hick town (2+ / 0-)

So I imagine JMU let me in to fulfill their Podunk quota. LOL Of course, they have twice as many students there now as they did back in my day.

by GrouchoKossak on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:25:25 PM PST

•  Really, you really believe that was HRable? (8+ / 0-)

It actually came from a joke at the Corner in Charlottesville from, wait for it, a guy from Virginia Tech.

Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo stick, you've been around here a little longer than to really believe that.

Goes like this:

Two guys in a restroom, one from UVA and one from Virginia Tech.  The UVA guy finishes and goes to leave, the VT guy says "you know, at Tech they teach us to wash our hands after we use the restroom"

The UVA guy replies: "At Mr. Jefferson's University they teach us not to piss on our hands in the first place"

If you think that is bad, having been enlisted in the Army and serving as a Naval officer, wait til I get to the Army/Navy game.  I got it going on both sides

I think I've just about seen the epitome of ridiculousness here at dKos when we are now hide rating college rivalries.

This isn't even HR abuse, it's too fucking ludicrous to even reach that level.

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:10:12 PM PST

•  That joke has made the rounds (1+ / 0-)
            Jeffersonian Democrat

I've heard it told about Alabama and Auburn, as well.

by GrouchoKossak on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:18:31 PM PST

•  It was a troll rating as farce (5+ / 0-)

But really now, I think the oh so superior airs that ooze out of UVA grads when it comes to VA Tech speaks to the inner fear that Hokies get a better education....

I actually chose VA Tech over UVA as a young pup because I felt more at home with the egalitarian atmosphere at VA Tech versus the Ivy League aspirations.  Never regretted it for one minute.

•  Ok, I get it now (4+ / 0-)
              akeitz, ferallike, geomoo, GrouchoKossak

I thought you were serious.  And that joke is just as cutting on the ridiculousness of UVA snobbery as it is on VT "cretins"

But I was honestly embarrassed, I thought I should do something really obscene to earn one of your donuts.  My comment was a little substandard.  I mean if I get a donut, I really want to earn it with something spectacularly trollish - that just seemed to be a liuttle mediocre, I can do much better!

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:27:45 PM PST

•  the jokes are all they have now (3+ / 0-)

It always annoyed me that Virginia had the best bumper stickers.  My favorite was "all dirt roads lead to Virginia Tech."  Although in my view it was a one-sided battle with Tech pretty much ignoring UVa.  Same thing with VMI, historically there was a big rivalry between the two schools which was generally forgotten at tech sometime in the '70s.

•  Had to look that up (2+ / 0-)

I would say that Tech became serious about being coed in 1964, when ROTC was no longer mandatory for men and they severed their relationship with Radford.

Tech started admitting black students in the early '50s.  However, tech still had a giant confederate flag hanging above the basketball court in the early '80s when I went there.  They also had one of the last all-white basketball teams in the nation.  That lasted well into the '70s.