View Diary: The public option is NOT like SCHIP and COBRA (50 comments)

•  I think Dean is saying that (12+ / 0-)

the public option is not dead if we don't get it this go-round, although he also seems to be saying that he thinks it can also be included in this go-round.  With the latter, I disagree.

•  He's saying both. n/t (2+ / 0-)
      more liberal than you, JesseCW

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 02:58:22 PM PST

•  That what Lynn Woolsey said today too (4+ / 0-)

She said it will have to be fixed after passing it.

I'd listen to Lynn. Something happened. Two days ago, she held a very different position. She's not a wobbler. She's not a sell-out. And she's no coward. Something must have come to her attention. She sounds optimistic that we'll continue fighting for a public option of some sort.

She prefers single payer, and has been talking about it for about 8 or so years, if I recall correctly.

Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice. - MLK

by mahakali overdrive on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 03:01:51 PM PST

•  I said before (15+ / 0-)

and I'll say again: jam the damn Medicare expansion into a defense spending bill and make Lieberman and the Republicans vote against it.

•  If she thinks the Senate will fix it later... (3+ / 0-)
        TheUnknown285, JesseCW, Jyrinx

...she's being played for a dupe.

"Grow up Democrats. Face the music. Do it alone. You're the majority." -- Rachel Maddow

by cybrestrike on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 03:13:08 PM PST

•  She thinks there is no other way to pass (6+ / 0-)

any bill. That is what she says.

Rep. Woolsey represents a 75% Blue district, which is considered one of the most Progressive in the country. It is literally known for being a bastion of hippiedom and sort of put the "hippie stamp" on the map along with a few other spots in the country. We have a very enthused group of Progressives here. And Lynn's won 8 election cycles here without much contest. She's proved herself time and again, being arrested for protesting over Darfur, working with radicals and supporting radical causes (federally, but also locally... I could rattle off a dozen handily). And she's considered the "first welfare mom ever in Congress." Her approval rating remains very high here amongst Progressives, and she regularly comes out and talks to use pleebs. She's protested for Civil Rights with the unwashed masses here many times. I don't believe for one moment that she's being taken for a dupe. I also think she very much has the best interests of all Progressives in mind.

HCR has been HER number one issue for like eight years (or more) since she's been pushing hard for single-payer. I take her at her word for this since, while I've occasionally disagreed with her, I've never seen her misrepresent Progressive interests.

Just saying there are few around whose records are more substantial.

by mahakali overdrive on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 03:25:41 PM PST

•  Regardless.. they can't make it affordable (1+ / 0-)
            cybrestrike
            they can only rearrange who pays..

And people can't afford it, but since they have the least clout..

...Train Wreck...

Single Payer is SO much of a 'no brainer' that it reveals our CURRENT politicians as having no brains!

by Andiamo on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 08:26:21 PM PST

•  Yeah. I wonder what might have happened. (2+ / 0-)
        bay of arizona, erush1345

It couldn't be that examples have been made, first massa and now a full-court "fuck kucinich" message being driven home by every media organ the white house has the power to influence.

But then...you think joining groups dedicated to harrasing the opposition into silence is a noble act, at least from the screen shots I saw.

'cause you know that you can't change shit by ridin' the fence... The Coup

by JesseCW on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 03:44:52 PM PST

•  Great, please explain (3+ / 0-)
          deaniac83, OIL GUY, soothsayer99

In detail. Please don't leave out a single detail, at that. I would be highly disappointed if I found out you didn't actually know what you are purporting.

Please, by all means, go ahead and present your case. I welcome hearing it. No need to be furtive about it at all.

Really, it sounds like a pretty big deal. Don't you think? A whole group dedicated to harassing the opposition into silence? Tell me more...

by mahakali overdrive on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 03:59:39 PM PST

•  He doesn't need to explain. (1+ / 0-)
            Nightprowlkitty

It was already presented in great detail.

Move Your Money The truth is too big to fail. Justice is too big to fail. Peace is too big to fail.

by Burned on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:52:46 PM PST

•  I have requested an explanation (2+ / 0-)
              deaniac83, soothsayer99

from this poster, who made a claim involving me, directly, about what sounds like a riveting situation which he states he understands entirely...

I would find it interesting to hear about my cover involvement with such a nefarious sounding group.

Or, of course, if you have anything to add, my dear, your fascinating insights would also be of great importance. I'm sure you would certainly agree that anything you could add to this conversation would be of the highest interest.

Warning: I foresee a bit of a thread-jack here, judging from past conversations with you, so I would behoove you, in deference to the diarist, to please keep your reply as succinct and on point as possible, preferably in one comment since that should be more than ample for you to state your watertight case. And kindly, without calling for "backup" from your friends. Best to always speak for yourself, don't you think?

Now, I'm all ears. Please delight me with these tales of political espionage. I haven't been involved in a proper scandal for years. I hope it's at least a good one.

by mahakali overdrive on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 05:04:59 PM PST

•  Oh my, is that *crickets* from the first poster (2+ / 0-)
              deaniac83, soothsayer99

... well, perhaps he had nothing to add. Pity really. I was ready to phone Jesse Ventura and tell him what was "really going on."

by mahakali overdrive on Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 05:06:08 PM PST