View Diary: Help Connie Saltonstall Defeat Stupak (319 comments)

•  And a republican would be worse than Stupak (3+ / 0-)
    libnewsie, gustynpip, Stranded Wind

how exactly?  A moderate Republican that was not a religious fanatic cult member would be a vast improvement.

Dick Cheney proves that the difference between stupid and evil is about 15 IQ points.

by Ken in Tex on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 06:24:51 AM PST

•  How many moderate Republican officeholders (1+ / 0-)
      wader

from this district you know?

•  OK, anyone not a member of (10+ / 0-)

"The Family" would be an improvement.

by Ken in Tex on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 06:27:36 AM PST

•  If he/she can get elected (0+ / 0-)

Do some research. Most of the elected Democrats from this district are pro-life, pro-gun and so on. And 100% of Republican officeholders too. Doesn't that mean that majority of people in the district support such policy?

•  Hey boy. Don't tell me to do any research. (14+ / 0-)

I've been a busy worker bee and volunteer in the Democratic Party for 30 year, and know a ton about the mathamatics of election policy.  Polls are one good measure of how a district thinks, but things change and people's view points change.  The people in this district won't stay that stupid forever.  Eventually they will begin to grow as humans and develop more modern views on things.  And people might answer a poll that they support guns rights and some level of abortion restrictions, but not agree with Stupak's extreme views on these issues.  They might also dislike Stupak for hurting the entire Democratic Party to cater to his minority religious views.

The only way to tell how the people in his district really feel about him can only be acomplished by a robust primary challenge.  Ever now and then people sill surprise the conventional wisdom.  That's the secret behind the very successful 50 state strategy.  And it is, of course, my money to waste.

by Ken in Tex on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 06:45:24 AM PST

•  Please, boy, don't tell me about (1+ / 0-)
              ronlib

"successful 50 states strategy" when you speak about Elections-2010. I am doing my electoral research for more then 30 years and i am laughing loudly when i hear about that THIS year...

•  Wow. (4+ / 0-)

You sounded a bit like Michael Steele there for a minute...  Or maybe Rove...

by Ken in Tex on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 06:56:48 AM PST

•  Good. (0+ / 0-)

Though i am neither. "50 states stragegy" was a good phrase in 2006 and 2008 when it was all-out Democratic offensive, but not in 2010 (and, most likely, not in 2012), when it will be an extremely difficult Democratic defence. If Democrats will lose no more then 5 seats in Senate and 25-30 in the House this yeat - i will call them very lucky...

•  With unemployment at 9.7% (5+ / 0-)

the only reason the party in power would not loose twice that many seats is because a fairly large number of people still blame Bush for the current recession.  But the recession does not have anything to do with the 50 state strategy.

The strategy of spreading your resourses around to many races rather than concentrating them in a few, is a good strategy in offense as well as defense.

by Ken in Tex on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 07:08:48 AM PST

•  Yeah. (0+ / 0-)

Give a few dollars to all candidates who claim that they will win (instead of giving to those who can REALLY win) and lose everything. Excellent approach.. (notice a "subtle irony" here?)))))

•  I don't notice any "subtle irony". I just notice (6+ / 0-)

a very defeated and defensive attitude that doesn't seem to be selling terribly strongly here.

You might do better going to the diary listing only Stupak's good votes and suggesting we shouldn't primary him.  Might sell better there.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 07:35:24 AM PST

•  Sir, i don't need advise from anybody. (0+ / 0-)

Even less - from you. Hold them for better situations, please...

•  Need to change your patronizing "sir" to a (4+ / 0-)
                            patronizing "ma'am".  You might want to consider whether your return advise isn't better suited to yourself.  You're on here giving everyone advise as to whether they should support Stupak when he's selling out the party.  I don't think any of us need that advise from you.  Yet you're willing to continue giving it in the nastiest possible way.  So expect to get a little unwanted advice back.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 08:03:56 AM PST

•  I don't give anyone any advise (0+ / 0-)

But i don't give advises either. I simply expressed MY view. If there would not be a "gang of wild-eyed ultraliberal fanatics", who wanted my "blood" (and immediately) - i wouldn't write anything else. But as things stand - i simply greatly amuse myself seeing a bunch of "wolves' trying to "bite" me..))))

•  You really think our responses to you are (3+ / 0-)
                            LostInTexas, Ken in Tex, elwior
                            anything more than our form of entertainment?  No one really gives a shit what you're opinion is on the subject - especially since you can't vote and I strongly suspect won't be putting any of your time or money into anyone.  So I assure you we could care less about your blood.  We simply find it amusing as well.

That does remind me, however, that I can not afford to amuse myself with you anymore.  I need to get to work and earn money to donate to Connie.
                            So while I'll read the rest of your responses to me, since I am finding them quite amusing, I have to give it up and won't be responding anymore.  Don't want Connie to lose out on donations because I amused myself.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 08:17:21 AM PST

•  Good luck to you (0+ / 0-)

Earn your money and waste them. Your right. At the same time i will amuse myself as I want, without asking your permission)))

•  Yes (6+ / 0-)

Keep the cultists in Arkham!!

•  Actually, the repub that ran against him in (1+ / 0-)
        Ken in Tex

the last election was pretty decent.  I have no idea how he'd vote, but if the same guy ran next time, I'd much, much rather see him in there than Stupak.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 07:33:02 AM PST

•  Casperson? (1+ / 0-)
          Prima

Pro-life, pro-gun and more conservative on economy then Stupak.

•  At least he'd be a pro-live, pro-gun rethug, not (2+ / 0-)
            Ken in Tex, NoVa Boy

a pro-life, pro-gun Dem.  I'd rather have a real repug, where I know what to expect, than a fake Dem who's willing to sell the party out to force his own religious viewpoints on the entire country.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 07:37:04 AM PST

•  An i will (1+ / 0-)
              Prima

gladly take Democrat who votes with me on economic issues over Republican who will not. Especially - from such district. I don't give a damn about "ideological purity", in fact - i abhor it (in BOTH parties). I am a pragmatist...

•  Excuse me while I say... (1+ / 0-)
              claude

Are you shitting me?  Casperson is a tool and twice on Sunday is the only way I can say that you have no idea what kind of brain dribble a comment like that is.

Look.  There are those of us who are from this district or still have family ties...and Casperson may be the devil you know, but he's not the lesser of two evils.  Seriously.

•  So you still have family ties here and that (1+ / 0-)
                Ken in Tex
                somehow gives you great insight?  Somehow I think I'll base my opinions on what I've seen and heard first hand, not through my family ties.  Thanks anyway, though.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 08:06:13 AM PST

•  I don't give a fig what you supposedly know. (0+ / 0-)

You're not from there.  I probably have a better chance of winning the primary over Saltonstall because I went to Rapid River Tri Township (go Rockets!), lived in Stonington and Escanaba and my family tree in the surrounding area is a veritable twisted tree of first and beyond cousins with French Canadian last names.

But hey, you'd know better than us. /sarcasm

•  Yes, I am from here. Have been all my life, (1+ / 0-)
                    Ken in Tex
                    except for schooling and a few years early in my career.  And my family has lived here for at least 3 generations before me, with another 2 generations coming after me still living here.  You want to count relatives only, I can pretty much guarantee I'll outcount you.  However you want the competition to be, let's go.  That, I guess, will be the deciding factor in whether Connie should primary Stupak.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 08:20:50 AM PST

•  Are you involved in the... (0+ / 0-)

...Delta County Dems?

And just to end the pissing contest, if you have that many family members going back and forward, than we're probably related.  My mother's maiden name was Charon. Her mother's maiden name was Swille.  You still want to say you have more family ties in Delta County than me?

•  Yes I do. On my mothers side alone, (0+ / 0-)

there were ten kids on her level.  Her father's side alone had another 11.  Her mother's had a large number as well.  My parents had 7.  Each one at each level had around the same, with an occassional one here or there either dying young or having smaller families.  So yes, even though I never claimed I was from Delta County, only that I was from Stupak's district, I probably still have more relatives than you just in Delta, and then a whole lot more in other counties.

But nice effort to save face.  Change from the district to Delta county in order to have a chance at winning.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 09:03:03 AM PST

•  You're hilarious. (0+ / 0-)

Seriously.  You don't have more relatives just based on those numbers.  Throw out a family name if you're so confident.  The reality is that pretty much all the French Canadian ancestory in the entire UP is related through marriage and blood.  From the "Soo" to Iron Mountain, Marquette to Menominee but I'm sure you'll throw out a Finnish last name from Houghton/Hancock and try.

But I'm done with this dick wagging anyhow...especially since I don't have a tripod by benefit of not having a Y chromosome. And it's irrelevant.

•  I don't throw out anything that is going (0+ / 0-)
                            to assist in identifying me.  I've provided more information on this site already than I think is wise, and I'm certainly not going to provide you with names, particularly over such a silly issue.  The relevant fact is you don't live here and don't know the people of the area intimately, regardless of how large a portion of the population you might be related to.

I have no idea what your last line means.  But whatever.  Guess Connie might have to make her decision on whether to run without a definitive answer as to which of us has the most relatives.  All I know is that mine are far too many to count.  Although we did have a family reunion this past summer of just one grandfather's descendents, and there were more than 200 people there.  And we had one some years back of one of my greatgrandfathers, and there were hundreds at that.  Either one of those would have been just a sprinkling of all my relatives.  You have no idea what holidays are like.  Ugh.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 09:19:59 AM PST

•  Oh, and I doubt we're related, except perhaps by (0+ / 0-)

marriage.  The names are the wrong nationality.  Mine is all one until the next generation finally brought some different blood in.

by gustynpip on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 09:04:47 AM PST

•  I'm not sure? (1+ / 0-)
                gustynpip

Is he a member of "The Family" or any other dangerous, extremist, fanatic, religous cult that advocates the death penalty for gays?  If not, then he sounds a lot better than Stupak to me.

by Ken in Tex on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 08:22:53 AM PST

•  Yeah, lets gets someone in there to vote against (1+ / 0-)
              claude

defending the Great Lakes, or any other number of issues that are important to Michigan that stupak is 100% reliable on.

I have no issues with challenging him; but this "a republican would be better" shit is insulting to anyone in this state.

•  Well, no, not at all. (2+ / 0-)
                gustynpip, NoVa Boy

A Republican that is not a member in a cult that advocates killing my friends is better than Stupak any day.

by Ken in Tex on Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 08:26:00 AM PST