View Diary: Michele Bachmann update-photos from her kill the health care bill rally (57 comments)

•  I'd love for you to expand on that (3+ / 0-)
    kitebro, Bill Prendergast, nocynicism

... perhaps in the form of a diary, even. My sense is that the right wing blogosphere is much more energized and focused on the November midterms than are those on the left/progressive side.

On the left we have in-fighting and arguments while on the right they seem to have much more focus and they have successfully framed many parts of the current situation in their favor - whether it be the bank bailout, the economy, TARP or HCR. For examples on the liberal side, just look at the pages and blogs on DKos on HCR reform and who's labeled a "hero" or a "cop-out" on any given day or in any given diary/rant.

IMO, the progressive leaders (including the blogosphere) REALLY are going to need to end the circular firing squads, rally and come together in advance of the November election cycle. And then we need to rally & energize the electorate, or there could very well be a hemorrhaging of seats in both houses of Congress.

So I would really love to see you expand on that thesis and on how it can best be leveraged to maximum effect come November.

"Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the most shocking and inhumane." -- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

by frisco on Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 04:25:59 PM PDT

•  well said... one thing they have that (1+ / 0-)
      kitebro

we don't--is a hierarchy leading an angry national mob.

And it's a good thing that we don't have that, because that's an indicator of proto-fascism. But yes--it can weaken an already split majority, to have an opposition that's organized into proto-fascist voting blocs in particular districts. Well said.

•  I read recently on this site (1+ / 0-)
      Bill Prendergast

that black people are planning on voting this November in unexpected numbers. I believe that they are likely to be energized by the overt racism to be found at teabagger rallies. For once minorities feel that they have a horse in this race. They have been following politics much more closely since we've had our first black President. And they find this bigotry to be something that must be dealt with at the polling places.
          That is why I feel that these rallies will come back to bite these people on the ass. Not to mention how repulsed so many decent Republicans (and yes, there are some) are by these mouth breathers.
        As for the rest of the Dems coming together, I've been arguing with quite a few people on this site about that very thing. But around this time in 2008, we were at each others throats, as well. I suspect that we will unite well before the elections. Just as we did in '08. But we will lose some seats. This economy is creating anger among republicans and complacency among Dems. That's my take on it, anyway.

There has only been a Dem in the Whitehouse for 13 of the past 41 years for a reason. Divide and be conquered.

by kitebro on Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 06:54:34 PM PDT

•  Having lived through the ridiculous complacency (1+ / 0-)
        Bill Prendergast

... of the horrendous, fatuous and presumptuous Martha Coakley campaign for Ted Kennedy's seat here in MA, that is one thing I am deathly afraid of. Dems sitting back at home, frustrated that they "can't haz ponies" from Obama's presidency, at least not right away; and allowing the "angry mob" to take over. If that happens, it could be more than "we will lose some seats". We could lose both majorities and then the rest of Obama's term looks extremely weakened, perhaps mortally so.

by frisco on Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 09:47:48 PM PDT

•  regular theme of mine and part of (1+ / 0-)
          frisco

the reason for these Bachmann updates.

I am indeed wringing my hands about the nature of the kind of Republicans who are available to take over in event of a Dem fail at the polls this fall.

That hand wringing diminishes when I get good news on the economy, the unemployment figures, or the progress of the HCR bill (our side has to pass something substantial, or these nuts get empowered.)

The hand wringing comes back when I see people here assuming that because only 2000 showed up to support Bachmann--that's all there is of these voters.

There's millions of them. Unless and until the Dems consolidate credibility with a stable majority via achievement recognized by the pro media: the opportunists influencing these no-information voters have a shot at real power. They can pick up enough seats to stop any real progressive reform, and that's only the beginning.

•  I live in MA, too. (0+ / 0-)

by kitebro on Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 03:57:13 AM PDT

•  Then you're well-versed in the pains of Coakley (2+ / 0-)
            kitebro, Bill Prendergast

and the lessons we should take from it re: complacency.

I also need to say that your signature is most apropos for this discussion!

by frisco on Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 07:43:40 AM PDT

•  I am doing what I can (2+ / 0-)
              frisco, Bill Prendergast

to move us ahead. All of this "I'll sit this one out" crap is driving me nuts. We need to GOTV!

by kitebro on Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 09:25:11 AM PDT