View Diary: Boehner last week: Driehaus (D-OH) could be a "dead man" (194 comments)

•  This is a no-no, but I'll say it anyway (17+ / 0-)

The Republicans are starting to act like Nazi Brownshirts, during the last days of the Weimar Republic, circa 1930-32.  The Brownshirts too were fond of death threats against Social Democratic Reichstag members, and throwing bricks shattering the glass of Social Democratic party offices.

"We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals, now we know that it is bad economics." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jan. 20, 1937

by Navy Vet Terp on Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 04:17:04 PM PDT

•  not quite. More like KKK and official enablers. (9+ / 0-)

You have exactly 10 seconds to change that look of disgusting pity into one of enormous respect!

by Cartoon Peril on Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 04:18:02 PM PDT

•  Both. They're not all that different (7+ / 0-)

in tactics or temperment.

•  And I've always found that the (3+ / 0-)

best way to deal with stupid bullies, esp. not very bright ones that march around in public with signs and allow themselves to be filmed for the national news, is to confront them, and let them know that you are not going to be intimidated.

I'm a 65 year old woman, and not in particularly good shape, but if I thought some asswipe in my neighborhood had cut my gas line or thrown a brick thru my window, I'd be looking for them myself and I'd call the cops when I found them. Spit on me and I'll likely spit back and/or file assault charges. These nutjobs need to find out that their local wing nut GOPer Congressman isn't going to come bail them out when they get arrested for trespass, assault, or weapons violations. Whining on Chris Matthews just makes you look weak. The less press coverage these people get, the better.

So my request to Democratic leaders would be: Don't demand an apology (why do you want some pro forma apology?), keep your cries of disdain and horror to yourself. Thats what these people long to hear.  Ignore the teabagger creeps or call the cops, or confront them yourself.  But please stop sounding like terrified victims.

•  Funny enough - over at Free Republic (7+ / 0-)

they are saying that we are the ones threatening our own in an attempt to incrimminate them. They even bring in the Reichstag fire.

You keep saying that it's not possible right now. Ya think, Captain Obvious? unspeakable to me in a Fry'd Daze diary

by volleyboy1 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 04:31:49 PM PDT

•  Yes and that's actually not as funny as telling. (6+ / 0-)

It is not unusual for these kinds of subversive movements to identify their target as the enemy that they actually are.

If you read Hitler's rhetoric, the threats he identified were really the threats that he ultimately posed himself.

•  Precisely. (4+ / 0-)

I have made it a rule of thumb for over five years now to assume any Rep accusation is a clue to their game plan.  When they started accusing Dems of stealing elections, I got worried.  Accusing us of violence makes me even more worried.  They take pleasure in it, imho.  It's the same thinking that can murder three prisoners at Gitmo, not even try to make it look like anything else, then accuse the dead of committing suicide in an aggressive act of "asymmetrical warfare."

Some folks delight in being so right that they need not speak truth.

The falsifications and fictions that are ruling us have become life-threatening.

by geomoo on Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 05:01:39 PM PDT

•  Yep I feel the same way and do the same thing (3+ / 0-)

You know I think back to about One Month before the 2000 election and I was listening to the Drugster... (I like to know what the crazies think). He said and I quote (this one stayed with me)... "Don't count out Bush and Cheney - they have something planned for this election." Eight years later that still sends shivers down my spine.

by volleyboy1 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 05:03:58 PM PDT

•  I was wondering how long it would take them... (4+ / 0-)

to start trying to blame the "lefties" for the violence visited upon the lefties.

It's hard to tell if they are so delusional that they could possibly believe such crap, or if they just think that they can continue to deflect criticism by accusing the victims of the right wingnuts' behaviors.

•  Well they did this regarding (2+ / 0-)
          kurious, island in alabama

Von Brunn (the Holocaust Museum shooter) - they tried to say he was a Kossack and a leftie. That pretty much got a FAIL! right away but they still tried it. They have some serious illusions regarding themselves and their movement.

Notice they say: "We're Independents not Republicans" but ask them when they have not voted Republican - ever. Or they say well we don't want violence but then turn around and use only military phraseology to deal with problems. It is ridiculous.

by volleyboy1 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 05:01:48 PM PDT

•  We "threaten" them with primary challenges (1+ / 0-)
        volleyboy1

They make death threats.

We're properly using democracy. They are using terrorism.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Thu Mar 25, 2010 at 07:15:44 AM PDT