View Diary: BREAKING VA NEWS: Blogs force Cosgrove to withdraw HB1677! (173 comments)

•  Next step... (none)
    Is there a legislative race this year?

If so, keep track of the moderate Repugs (if there are any) who we can target by rasing funds for their challengers on line.

We really need to go after Republican moderates by pointing out that they enable right wing extremists to control legislation.....

•  Yep. 43 Republicans ran unopposed in '03 (4.00)
      Including John Cosgrove.  I'd actually say our first target should be THEM.  How can we expect to have any control in the House of Delegates if we just hand over nearly 50% of the seats without a fight?

The good news is I know of at least two wingnuts who got off without opponents last time -- GoldPlated KingWingnut Robert Marshall in Manassas, and David Albo, both from Northern Virginia.  I'm hoping this story will motivate others to run against Cosgrove this time.  We've got a LOT of work to do!

•  Hrm. (none)
        Where is his district?

How can we get over it when people died for the right to vote? -- John Lewis

by furryjester on Mon Jan 10, 2005 at 10:04:38 PM PST

•  Chesapeake (none)
          Right on the shore...wanna move there and run against him?  :-)
          •  long range target (none)
            should start compiling diary/internet entry to track candidate and political climate in the area.

So once a viable candidate is out, he has all the information in his/her hand against this creep.

also figure out the cost of 'media' (any friendly radio, newspaper, collage, etc.?)

even scrap notes in the form of blog will help somebody in the future when election time come.

We should never wait until campaign time again.

Maybe somebody should create a dkos entry for this creeep?  plus make a page 'target 2006'?

•  Are there any likely local candidates? (none)
            That would be the best option, obviously.  It does look like a potentially good opportunity for the right person.

Are you going to be at the DC Kos-meetup thing tonight? If so, we could talk more there.  If not - email me.

How can we get over it when people died for the right to vote? -- John Lewis

by furryjester on Tue Jan 11, 2005 at 07:04:50 AM PST

•  Nope, I'm in CT (none)
              I'm still up here in CT taking care of my folks for the forseeable future.  I wish I had been able to attend your meeting tonight!

I have heard from a guy in Chesapeake who is working with local Dems to find a challenger for Cosgrove.  I offered him what assistance I could with framing this controversy and will definitely help him if they find a candidate and need publicity for money.

BTW, have you heard of Waldo Jaquith's new Virginia Family Values PAC?  Brilliant stuff.

•  Well, I'm a field organizer (none)
                with a hodgepodge of other skills as well, and I'm looking for work.  Can you get me in touch with this guy? Because, for sure I'd love to work a race like that, with a quality candidate.

How can we get over it when people died for the right to vote? -- John Lewis

by furryjester on Wed Jan 12, 2005 at 07:43:01 AM PST

•  Werkheiser vs. Albo... (none)
        Werkheiser for Delegate

Greg Werkheiser is making plans to challenge David Albo for his seat in the 42nd District.

Stateline.org: Portrait Of A Legislator: Virginia's David Albo..

It seems that Albo uses his transportation improvement issues to cloak his wingnuttery.

"But then I viddied that thinking is for the gloopy ones and the oomny ones use, like, inspiration and what Bog sends." -- Alex de Large

by rgilly on Tue Jan 11, 2005 at 03:55:35 AM PST

•  Albo... (none)
          Was the sponsor of the heinous HB 751 that denies contract rights to gay couples.

George Bailey was a Democrat. Mr. Potter was a Republican.

by 537 votes on Tue Jan 11, 2005 at 06:47:40 AM PST

•  Virginia Family Values PAC targets Albo (none)
              I assume you've heard of this, but Virginia Family Values PAC has chosen Albo as one of its first targets.

I love the writeups of targeted races on the site.  Brilliant stuff.

•  I don't know, Maura (none)
                Waldo Jaquith of Va Family Values is also supporting Chap Peterson, Dem of Fairfax, for Lt Gov.  Chap was either a homophobe or a spineless turd for voting for HB 751.  A Democrat, voting in favor of crippling the rights of gay couples.

It's difficult to campaign as a Dem in Va on a lot of issues, I know, but HB 751 seems to be a pretty clear dividing line.

BTW, congrats on your part in killing the Cosgrove bill.  Nicely done.

George Bailey was a Democrat. Mr. Potter was a Republican.

by 537 votes on Tue Jan 11, 2005 at 07:51:22 PM PST

•  Untrue (none)

That's not true -- I haven't made up my mind, and I likely won't for a while.  I am, however, not opposing him, and I think it's embarrassingly short-sighted of Democrats to fail to support him for his vote on a single bill, particularly one where his vote made no difference.  I have absolutely no idea of what that has to do with Virginia Family Values or why you brought it up.

If you've got a better candidate, please, tell the rest of us.  Because, right now, we've got Chap!™ and some background noise in the form of three other people who are wholly unelectable.  I want to win, while you seem to be want to have a perfect candidate.  We can't do both in this race or, in fact, in any race.

-Waldo Jaquith

•  Check out my reply below, too... (none)
                    Just in case you don't come back to the whole thread, I commented on you below.  BTW, how 'bout if I choose not to support Chap based on 2 votes, not 1?  ;-)
                  •  Fair enough (none)
                    But if his vote on HB751 made no difference, why did he cast it that way?  By your logic, it wouldn't have made a difference if he voted against it either. But it would have made a huge difference to me, just as his vote for it does.

Am I short-sighted?  How far-sighted do I have to be to see Chap is one lousy candidate?

George Bailey was a Democrat. Mr. Potter was a Republican.

by 537 votes on Wed Jan 12, 2005 at 05:10:43 AM PST

•  Apples and Oranges (none)
                      But if his vote on HB751 made no difference, why did he cast it that way?

It made no difference to the whether the bill passed or not.  His vote makes a big difference regarding his support -- his vote either way would be used as a litmus test, as you're doing now, in his run for Lt. Governor.

I don't think he's a lousy candidate; at least, he's a much better candidate than the other three, to my estimation.  (Though Leslie Byrne I haven't met, unlike the other three.) I don't like some of his votes, and I think Maura's right to be pissed about both of those votes of his.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: we don't have a better candidate for the seat.

We Democrats are forever cutting off our nose to spite our face.  In so many races, we nominate an eco-terrorist, bisexual, paraplegic, bisexual, African-American Jew [1] so we can feel real good about ourselves, and then accuse Republicans of being anti-whateverists when our candidate loses.  I'm not a Democrat that believes that we should move to the center, but I am one who understands that there are limits to how far to the left that we can move.

If we back a lesser candidate, we'll lose.  We'll feel all warm and fuzzy about ourselves.  But we'll lose.

-Waldo Jaquith

[1] Note that some of my best friends are eco-terrorist, tree-hugging, bisexual, paraplegic, bisexual, African-American Jews.

I would have e-mailed you, but I can't find an address for you.  Check out the Peterson/Albo bill (that old duo ;), HB2490.  Just submitted on Wednesday.

-Waldo Jaquith

•  Agree on Chap's votes, not on Waldo (none)
                  I think there are two strikes against Chap Petersen.  And those two strikes are so big that they in themselves constitute a third strike.  I cannot actively support Chap Petersen for Lt. Gov. in the primary.  I think he's a personable guy and I think he's a remarkable campaigner and a helluva hard worker.  But I agree with you on the seriousness of Chap's vote on HB751, and I also cannot support him after his vote in favor of the "feticide" bill, even after the legislature refused Gov. Warner's recommendation to revise the bill to clarify that it was not meant to erode abortion rights.  The legislature made clear that they DID mean for it to erode abortion rights by refusing that recommendation, so essentially Chap Petersen went along with that.  Two strikes so big that the third isn't even needed.

Waldo spoke up below and said he wasn't yet supporting Chap actively.  But even if he was, I'd stand up and support Waldo's PAC wholeheartedly.  Because it is precisely what Waldo is trying to do that is going to turn around the institutionalized hate in HB751.  We will NEVER get the current General Assembly to overturn HB751.  Never.  The only option is to get the king wingnuts in the legislature out of office, and Waldo's PAC is focused on doing just that, starting with Robert Marshall, the author and chief sponsor of HB751.  I would think you'd support that goal, even if Waldo chose personally to support Chap for Lt. Gov.

Thanks much for the support and encouragement -- we've made Cosgrove blink now.  That bodes well.

•  Why don't you run next time? n/t (none)

I can't think of a good sig.

by SneakySnu on Tue Jan 11, 2005 at 05:38:08 AM PST

•  I'd love to (none)
          I definitely have "the bug".  I'd love to take on a race myself.  Unfortunatley, right now is a bad time - I don't have a job, and I'm caring for my ailing parents in Connecticut of all places!  I don't have a great sense of a time-frame for this role (although my savings account is not endless, alas, so I have to work again soon.)

My district in Virginia is ably represented by a great Senator, Mary Margaret Whipple, and by a Democratic delegate, Bob Hull.  Hull I barely know.  While the wingnut brigade is busy introducing dozens and dozens of bills, Hull hasn't filed any yet this session, which is pretty disappointing.  He votes the right way, though, so I'm not particularly motivated to mount a challenge against him while there are SO many Virginia Republicans who need challengers.  I'd have to move to run against one of them, though.  :-)