View Diary: Carrots for Kucinich! (230 comments)

•  Ugh... just address the (8+ / 0-)

content. Not the person. Your post is trying to cast doubt on a fellow blogger's motives rather than the content of her post, and as such is a personal attack.

Furthermore, the idea of not taking someone seriously because they're not a common contributor to this site is a bad idea. Lastly, you build a strawman in that you say that anarch wants you to consider her an expert, which she does not do.

Your post is a beautiful example of what is wrong with the dialogue on this site. As such, it gets an HR.

If Congress passes it, the rich will benefit. Always.

by atheistben on Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 11:21:05 AM PDT

•  Anyone Who Has Been Here (21+ / 0-)

... for a very short period ought not to generalize about others on this blog.  People who have been contributing here for years have a record and before anyone makes any kind of assertion, they ought to first familiarize themselves with that record.  It's rather easy to do.

As for the HR, I'm going to ask you gently to remove it.

•  oh c'mon (0+ / 0-)

There have been people who have lurked on this blog for years - reading it for years. That fact that they have a newer UID means absolutely nothing. I don't recall you slamming me like that when I showed up here years ago. Or maybe you did. Should I go back and check?

"I have lived with several Zen masters -- all of them cats." - Eckhart Tolle

by catnip on Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 12:12:40 PM PDT

•  Did You Join This Blog (6+ / 0-)

... and within the first few days categorize everyone here as "neo-liberals?" thereisnospoon has made a number of comments in this diary about that term and how he dislikes it, as do many of us.

Think of it this way: if you join a new group -- any group -- in real life (political or otherwise), you wouldn't walk in off the street and make incendiary remarks or baseless accusations about those who've been long-standing members of that group. Or, would you?  No one has to prove anything here but at the same time one ought to be careful about making sweeping generalizations.

As for those of us with older ID's, you're right in that we aren't morally superior or more brilliant than any of the others.  Longevity doesn't establish credibility.  One's contributions do, as is the case with several newer members.  Many of the long-standing members here have played a significant role in establishing and popularizing this blog by starting regular features (Cheers and Jeers, Top Comments, Overnight News Digest, and the like), commenting widely over the years, and supporting efforts made by others.  It didn't all happen by itself.

Even Kos and MB would acknowledge that.

•  you moved the goalposts (1+ / 0-)
            efraker

and refuse to acknowledge that even if someone has lurked here for years and only recently signed up  that, yes, they can actually still be of the opinion that there are neoliberals here. I believe there are and I've been here for years. Just look at some of the neoliberal foreign policy and economic positions pushed around here. And you don't have to be around here all that long to figure that out.

Right back at you.

And if you want to argue against that commenter's actual position, do that. Attacking the commenter is out of bounds - as you well know.

"I have lived with several Zen masters -- all of them cats." - Eckhart Tolle

by catnip on Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 01:02:09 PM PDT

•  Just so you know... (0+ / 0-)

I'm going to leave the HR because I do feel the comment violates the letter and spirit of the rules. I responded in another thread about it here. It doesn't mean I think you're a bad person or a troll or anything like that. You've made a lot of positive contributions around here. That comment just wasn't one of them.

If Congress passes it, the rich will benefit. Always.

by atheistben on Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 02:34:49 PM PDT

•  Remove your abusive HR (5+ / 0-)

and read the Goddamn FAQ's again.

•  From the FAQs (0+ / 0-)

Hide rating: Comments whose only purpose is to disrupt the discussion.

His comment's purpose was to disrupt the discussion. The discussion was about whether or not Kucinich should be voting on a bill for which he raised money by opposing. Anarch was voicing frustration because she donated for that reason and now wants her money back. That was what the discussion was about. Jekyl disrupted that discussion and made it about the author of the position, rather than the position.

From Hunter's guide

that it isn't worth even a debate, but should be deleted from the discussion as being simply inflammatory, simply off-topic, or simply a lie

The comment in question is all three. It's off-topic as described above, it's inflammatory as described below, and it contains the lie that Anarch wants to be considered an expert, and the unsubstantiated claim that Anarch has only been here days or weeks. UID is not a valid indicator of familiarity with this site. (I created a this account a few years back because my first account had my full name in it, and privacy became an issue. I got the usual bs about being a new troll at the time, and I didn't appreciate it.)

Personal attacks on other site users

While not an explicit attack, the comment basically devalues anyone who isn't a long-term regular poster here. It says their opinion means less. And when you tell a person that their opinion means less because it is coming from them, that is a personal attack.

It's one HR and I stand by it. It's not going to have a big effect on anything. Also, I don't appreciate your tone and telling me to read the

Goddamn FAQ's

when I know them and am trying to follow them. That is not civil conversation. So check yourself.

If Congress passes it, the rich will benefit. Always.

by atheistben on Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 02:24:33 PM PDT

•  Please remove your HR from JiH comment (0+ / 0-)

There is nothing in that statement that warrants an HR. Remove it, please.

Please help StopRushLimbaugh. Because hate should not be profitable.

by marabout40 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 at 01:34:08 PM PDT