View Diary: HCR: Dem "No" Votes and Dem Switchers (287 comments)

•  A list of Blue State Republicans who voted "No" (39+ / 0-)

This should be our offensive front - can't always play defense or eat our own.

Politics is like playing Asteroids - You go far enough to the left and you end up on the right. Or vice-versa.

by Jonze on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 07:18:57 AM PDT

•  exactly (15+ / 0-)

put pressure on them

This Machine Kills Fascists

by aaraujo on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 07:19:50 AM PDT

•  All the YES to NOs (22+ / 0-)

Should be hit hard, and we can actually get in this round Arcuri and Lynch. Lipinsky really aggravates me because this coward was using Stupak as his shield, Stupak came through and it is going to be facing a primary and Lipinsky , dead line gone, will not and he is outrageous because he himself has a preexisting condition. Shed the light on this guys, we may not get this time but we should have good memory.

•  Being from Kratovil's district, I say no primary (16+ / 0-)

Yes to more and better Democrats, I 100% agree.

But here's the situation in Maryland-01: We have Frank Kratovil, a freshman, who came in on the 2008 wave, and who benefited from a bruising primary battle between Republicans after moderate Republican Wayne Gilchrest (who made several votes against the Iraq war that we all cheered on this site).  His 2008 challenger was -- and I say this with all the respect I can muster about this fine citizen -- a complete douchebag who thinks anything to the left of Charles Krauthammer is Maoist Chinese or whatever.

Yes, Maryland is a Blue State (and may it forever be so), but I live in a deep red district.  And Frank Kratovil votes with the Dems 84% of the time, which is about 86% of the time more than Republican Andy Harris -- who is again going to challenge Kratovil this fall -- ever would.

Now, am I happy that Kratovil voted no on this?  No, I think it was short-sighted, but I can see that it was probably animated by the fear of being Margolies-Mezvinskied (voted out after one term after voting for Clinton's budget).  I'm sure he got 10 to 1 times as many calls against this communist totalitarian unconstitutional government takeover of a system now committed to hooking granny to a Kevorkian machine and oh also the President is Kenyan and smokes cigarettes.  I'm more than sure that my encouraging e-mails and calls were in the minority.

I don't think I'll have the same gusto to contribute as much this time around (we'll see, November is a bit far off), but I sure as hell don't want to see him primaried, because I sure as hell don't want to see Andy harris crapping up my district with little tiny American flags and plastic foetusi everywhere.

It just raises the question: Gee, Gidge, what's a girl to do?

"Progress has never been a bargain; you have to pay for it." -- Clarence Darrow "Change takes time. It's a marathon, not a sprint." -- Widely attributed

by LarsThorwald on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 07:37:39 AM PDT

•  Kudos the the "Gidge" ref LOL made my morning n/t (5+ / 0-)

post hoc, ergo propter hoc

by RvgAqs on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 07:48:58 AM PDT

•  Thanks for this. (7+ / 0-)

Those are my questions/concerns too.  I'm also in MD-01, and I'm righteously pissed at Kratovil; but wingnuts Harris or Pipkin as alternatives?  God help us.  I don't like that I have to support Kratovil; but I'm going to need a lot of calming down before I pick up the phone for him again.

Frankly, I'm not sure Kratovil isn't toast either way, so I'd have surely preferred he took the high road and showed some solidarity instead of pandering to his red district.  We can find GOPers who will do that.

•  Well put (6+ / 0-)

We need to examine each district carefully, rather than adopt an "off with their heads" approach.

Some clearly need to be primaried (Lynch?), but others maybe not so.  In fact, I am aware of the political situation in Md-01, and agree with LarsThorwald on this.  Beating a guy like Harris is worth having guys like Kratovil.  Or, even if it isn't, our main focus should be on guys like Lynch.

•  That's Eastern Shore? (3+ / 0-)
        Miss Blue, rb608, LarsThorwald

If so, that's a fairly conservative area in a Blue state.  Nevertheless, when it's gut-check time, you need to know who your friends are.  Voting with the party on all the easy stuff (what was the number, 84%?) is meaningless if you don't take the hits on the tough votes.  So, no primary I guess 'cause we don't want to just give the district to a rethug.  But the 'No' votes should not get any resources.  If they want to stand apart from the party, then let them truly stand apart.  I know for myself that I have far better candidates to give to than the honorary members of the 'Party of No'.

{Clever sig goes here}

by NoVa Boy on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 07:58:14 AM PDT

•  It's the entire Shore (3+ / 0-)
          Odysseus, GayHillbilly, LarsThorwald

with the most red parts of Cecil, Anne Arundel and Harford counties thrown in. It was R+10 going into 2008 fall elections. McCain won the district 60/40, iirc.  Yet Kratovil beat a rabid and well-funded conservative, Andy Harris, who out-spent Kratovil and received $1 million just from Club For Growth.

Ironic part is, Kratovil's no vote may help him get re-elected, then the MD legislature can make his job a lot easier with re-districting for 2012. Once he's in a R+2 or even a D+2 district, we may find he votes a lot closer to the progressive ideals many of us here hold.

I tried to come up with something clever. This is the best I could do.

by duck on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 08:41:26 AM PDT

•  I think it helped Kratovil (1+ / 0-)
            Hirodog

that Harris was just obviously batshit crazy.  Thanks to the nasty 3-way primary w/ Gilchrist & Pipkin, Harris' true colors were clearly seen by enough voters.

It'll be interesting how it will play out if Harris gets the nod this time without needing to out wingnut another GOP opponent.

•  It's a quand'ry. (5+ / 0-)

Frank's been getting a 'pass' on this stuff from the  DC leadership since he was elected.

If you're not "from'ere" you don't understand the dynamic.

1. Gerrymandered red district to protect the other Western Shore Machine Democrats. (Thanks, guys).
          1. 18 year incumbent Gilchrest, who was liked and respected by D and R alike, primaried out by wingnut Harris with tons of out-of-area-money.
          1. Motivated Dems and Independents could send Kratovil back. By 2012 there will be redistricting and the Eastern Shore may not be saddled with the wingnut-hued areas on the Western Shore.

The point is that voters here will go for a thoughtful moderate of either party.

There is a long tradition of the Eastern Shore voting for republicans generally because they don't like Baltimore. Which is of course heavily Democratic ... and heavily black. Don't underestimate the lingering racist undercurrent here on the Eastern Shore. It's evaporating, but slowly.

•  Two interesting maps (0+ / 0-)

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 06:10:35 PM PDT

•  Primary = move your district's Overton window. NT (2+ / 0-)
        mayan, rb608

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 07:59:01 AM PDT

•  What's with the chart? (0+ / 0-)

MD-01 Frank Kratovil -- 40 -- 36

There was no Democrat in the seat until '08. What does the " %age" mean?

•  It means... (1+ / 0-)
          rb608

what percentage of  MD-01 voted for Obama and what percentage voted for Kerry. As you can see, the Dem POTUS nominee hasn't broken 40% in the last two cycles. Yet we elected a Dem last time. A Dem that votes with Obama on 17 out of every 20 votes.

Just not this time.

I tried to come up with something clever. This is the best I could do.

by duck on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 08:43:00 AM PDT

•  My county went for Obama. (2+ / 0-)
            rb608, Hirodog

By about 100 votes... and also supplied a margin that helped Kratovil win.

Ironically enough the Eastern Shore proper (south of the canal) could benefit with progressive policies. ... it's the stepchild of Maryland state government.

•  I'm not happy either. (2+ / 0-)
        rb608, LarsThorwald

But Mad Hatter Andy Harris is truly awful.

He is not a shoo-in for the Rep. challenge to Kratovil. But should he come out of the primary on the ballot, we don't want him.

Now, am I happy that Kratovil voted no on this?

Maryland is a Blue Machine State where the Eastern Shore, which is rurally conservative and was united behind a thoughtful moderate ... Wayne Gilchrest ... has been gerrymandered into a republican majority district so that the Machine can keep a tight grip on the others.

So here's a tip-o-the-hat and a flip-o-the-bird to the Maryland Democratic Party.

•  The state Dem Party is paying attention (2+ / 0-)
          rb608, LarsThorwald

We have, for the first time in recent memory, a full-time party staffer dedicated to MD-01. The state party is making strides in coordinating volunteer contacts within each county. I've seen more outreach from the state party in the last 3 months than I ever have before. For the first time, I can say they're actually trying in MD-01.

I tried to come up with something clever. This is the best I could do.

by duck on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 08:47:49 AM PDT

•  The problem is not the 2% on our side (1+ / 0-)
        rb608

it's the 100% on their side.  The republicans have become an extreme, unyielding monolithic block.  But throughout history it was far more common to have moderate republicans in places like NY that would actually vote with dems on many issues.  Just like the dem in your district has to take his red district into account.

"Reagan proved deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney

by nyseer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 09:29:24 AM PDT

•  A fine pragmatic approach sorely needed. (0+ / 0-)

Politics should include as much strategic thinking, or more, than "heart" to make and keep gains. Going all with emotion and "like" is a sure way to win some, lose more.

The only foes that threaten America are the enemies at home, and those are ignorance, superstition, and incompetence. [Elbert Hubbard]

by pelagicray on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 11:48:07 AM PDT

•  Maybe we could give him a pass here (0+ / 0-)

but if he votes GOP for the Wall street fix, immigration, opposes DADT then he should be primaried..we may as well just get harris...

.....I'm sure he got 10 to 1 times as many calls against this communist totalitarian unconstitutional government takeover of a system now committed to hooking granny to a Kevorkian machine and oh also the President is Kenyan and smokes cigarettes....

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis, 1935 --Talk of foresight--

by tuma on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 12:13:05 PM PDT

•  And not only blue state. (1+ / 0-)
      Odysseus

The likeliest targets should be our priority, but remember:

The largest deficit reduction bill in decades passed without one single Republican vote in the house.

Which might better be expressed "and Congressman jones voted against it" in your locality.

If "con" is the antonym of "pro," what is the antonym of "progress"?

by Frank Palmer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 08:43:26 AM PDT