View Diary: Race and the Tea Baggers: the data we've been waiting for (234 comments)

•  45% of TEA-BAGGERS (4+ / 0-)

Much different.  Much smaller pool, and similar ideology interests I think.

So, NO!!!  Not all white people think this, we're not all cave dwellers.

*Newton's Law of Inertia also applies to politics.*

by mechboots on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 04:38:15 PM PDT

•  NOT 45% of TEA Baggers (1+ / 0-)
      mechboots

it's 45% of people who don't disapprove of the Teabag party.  As far as I can tell there isn't even any reason to think they know all that much about the tea party to have their answers included.

We're all one heartbeat away from Forever. kasandra.us

by KS Rose on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 05:16:08 PM PDT

•  Oh. (3+ / 0-)
        condorcet, dwayne, FarWestGirl

Ok, I don't know what to think now.

The survey reached 1,015 residents of Nevada, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, North Carolina, Georgia and California. All were battleground states in the 2008 presidential election with the exception of California, which was included in the survey to represent the West Coast.

The survey found that 30 percent of respondents had never heard of the tea party, but among those who had, 32 percent strongly approved of it. In that group, 56 percent of Republicans strongly approved, 31 percent of independents strongly approved and 5 percent of Democrats strongly approved.

Among whites who approved, 35 percent said they believe blacks to be hardworking, 45 percent said they believe them intelligent and 41 percent said they believe them trustworthy.

Whites who disapprove of President Barack Obama, the survey found, are 55 percent more likely to support the tea party than those who say they approve of him.

Conducted by telephone from Feb. 8 to March 15, the survey reached 494 whites, 380 blacks, 77 Latinos and 64 members of other races. The sampling error margin is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

New University of Washington Survey

But I will say this;  this was a phone survey, and typically phone surveys contact those with a land line.  Now-a-days, it's an older crowd who still have land lines, so this survey may reflect that.

I hope, because I truly don't think these views are a majority in the white community.

Any thoughts on this?

*Newton's Law of Inertia also applies to politics.*

by mechboots on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 05:33:57 PM PDT

•  A few (2+ / 0-)
          fiddlingnero, mechboots

One is that there is a lot of resistance against the health care plan and mandatory participation that seems to cut a swath across party lines (including indies). Another is that you are correct, the land line folks are rapidly decreasing, probably even less than 18 months ago pre-election.

Obama's disapproval numbers right now are about 45%. But the phrase "55% more likely' is kinda meaningless the way it's phrased. You'd have to look back at the raw numbers to ascertain any real meaning. it's saying IF 20% of folks who approve of Obama approve of the Tea Party then 30% of those that don't approve of Obama also approve of the tea baggers. But it could also mean 40% of those that approve of Obama also approve of teabaggers and 60% that don't approve of him approve of teabaggers. Since I don't know the raw numbers I can't really say what it means other than most folks are likely republicans who approve of the tea baggers. So it's kinda ungrounded.

As someone else pointed out, we don't know how many whites that didn't disapprove of the tea baggers think that whites are hard working.  Maybe they think everyone is lazy.

Also, one would have to determine what the depth of what someone knows about them for it to be meaningful. What does the respondant think they represent? Does the responding think that they are they anti health care folks? Does the respondent think they are anti taxes? Anti-choice? Pro hunting?

One final point, if someone asked me if I 'approved' of the tea baggers I might answer the question differently depending on what questions they asked beforehand and what my mindset was. ie, is it fine with me if a group of people split the republican party? Yeah, sure fine, I'm all for it.  If I'm thinking about the rights of people to express themselves through the formation of a subgroup of the Republicans? Yeah, I am fine with that too. But if you asked me if I approved of the ACTIONS and WORDS of the tea partiers.. hoo boy, no I do not.

It's too complex a question to draw conclusions from what I've seen and I really don't have the couple days it would take to really dive into his raws even if I had access to them.

We're all one heartbeat away from Forever. kasandra.us

by KS Rose on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 06:17:05 PM PDT

•  Good points all, thnx for the feedback (0+ / 0-)

I think there needs to be deeper analysis of this survey, hope the picture gets clearer...or this prompts more and wider surveys

*Newton's Law of Inertia also applies to politics.*

by mechboots on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 07:16:32 PM PDT

•  Yes, because a lot of white people (1+ / 0-)
      dwayne

are Latino too.

•  My grandma certainly would have (0+ / 0-)

considered herself white, and she was half Spanish and half Cuban.

It all depends on whether you think white is limited to being Anglo, or at least some kind of English-speaking person of primarily European ancestry, or whether you think "white" means everybody who isn't derived primarily from either African or Asian bloodlines.

When you start defining race, its ridiculousness as a scientific category becomes quickly apparent, but culturally and historically it's so powerful that it's dangerous to dismiss it, and possibly even disrespectful to the many people who have had their lives shaped by it.

But the bottom line here is, teabaggers don't consider Latinos white, apparently.  Since the survey is about their attitudes, that's what matters.

This is not home. ---Klaus Baudelaire

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 10:02:57 AM PDT

•  Hey, I'm white too (1+ / 0-)
      mechboots

That's why I was freaking out.

This is not home. ---Klaus Baudelaire