View Diary: Why I Am Running for U.S. Senate in Arizona (116 comments)

•  I was there, (8+ / 0-)

from about 7 to 10. We must have missed you.

•  I was there at Nimbus as well, (2+ / 0-)
        TheShovelJockey, Spedwybabs

with Azazello (who was wearing the brightest orange sleeved dKos shirt he could find and regularly scouring the bar for sight of you), Emerald Maiden, and a few other kossacks. The time and place were selected by you/your staff and relayed through Spedwybabs, who no longer lives here anyway.
        This wasn't the first time Azazello and I had been stood up at a time and place of your choosing, remember coffee at the Good Egg?
        Our whole conversation began when I related a story in your previous dKos diary about how you'd treated me like dirt in front of the county Democratic HQ during your first run for elective office.
        Maybe you'll make a good Senator, but, frankly, I'd rather see your name on the ballot for dogcatcher first. I think the experience, and the opportunity to interact with common Arizonans would do your legislative perspective a world of good.

I had a brother at Khe Sanh, fightin' off them Viet Cong, they're still there, but he's all gone. The Boss

by DaNang65 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 08:47:40 PM PDT

•  Tell us the story here - might be revealing (1+ / 0-)
          TheShovelJockey

How did he treat you at the Good Egg, or the Dem HQ?

Well? Shall we go? At least that man is gone.

by whenwego on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 08:54:08 PM PDT

•  I'd like to hear both sides of that story. (2+ / 0-)
          TheShovelJockey, Eric Nelson

I have to say, this has whole diary and comment section has a pretty controlled message, insincere, feel to it so far, but that's not a condemnation.  I know it's tough to come across in a campaign, and there is simply not enough of one person to go around to everyone.

DaNang65, were you being polite and respectful, for your part?

War is brutal, dehumanizing, and unpredictable. It is not a viable instrument of policy.

by geomoo on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 08:58:42 PM PDT

•  To reply to both you and when we go (5+ / 0-)

My first encounter with Rodney Glassman the day in 2007 I went to Pima County Democratic HQ to pick up an Obama for President window sign and Mr. Glassman was a first time candidate for public office (Tucson City Council).
            The HQ is on a small side street, and I had to park two blocks away, limping back on my arthritic knee (I'm disabled enogh for SSDI) to get my sign and limp back to my car. On my way out I was nearly blown off the sidewalk by a guy who double parked on the narrow street with a look of "I'm somebody and you're not". I used to live in the House Majority Whip's district, among other politiians, and never saw before a vote seeker who didn't stick out his hand and say "Hi, I'm so and so and I'm running for such and such, and I'd sure appreciate your vote" Maybe I'm just spoiled.
            Anyway, the fella who blew me off had plenty of time to stop just inside the HQ doors and accept the acolades of the HQ volunteers who rushed out to meet him. I was offended he didn't even have fifteen seconds to ask for my vote.
            I commented on that encounter in one of Mr. Glassman's dKos promo pieces, and received an email from him inviting me to coffee so he could apologize. With his consent I made it public knowledge and Azazello and I sat and waited two and a half hours beyond Mr. Glassman's self selected time, at his selected place. He never showed.
            Through a series of emails the "assistant" took the blame for the scheduling mishap. Repeated attempts to reschedule led to Azazello suggesting a place where we could drink beer and shoot pool. Azazello suggested the Nimbus microbrewery.
            In private correspondence with "Spedwybabs" I was informed that Mr. Glassman's people prefered the newer Nimbus bistro on the other end of town. Being agreeable we consented. We met, shot pool, had a beer or two, talked politics and history with some pretty smart folks, but never saw hide nor hair of Glassman, "Babs", or anyone else.
            Azazello went out and bought the most perfect dKos Orange shirt to wear as a sign, and repeatedly trolled the premises for our missing stars. After a while we gave up, not just on Mr. Glassman's appearance but his candidacy as well.
            The picture displayed above, of the smiling paid politicos is just one more straw than this camel's back can bear.

by DaNang65 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 09:36:20 PM PDT

•  Thanks. That says a lot. (3+ / 0-)
              TheShovelJockey, elwior, DaNang65

I still give some points for wanting to make it up to you.  I presume they weren't just lying or intentionally blowing you off.  I mean, that is trying to be accessible.  Otoh, it would likely never have happened had you "been somebody."

Thanks for the useful anecdote.  Much appreciated.

by geomoo on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 10:20:43 PM PDT

•  Can you let me know the next time (1+ / 0-)
              Spedwybabs

there's a meet up in Tucson?  I live in Catalina, as does revgerry.  It would be nice to meet some other local Kossacks.

When shit happens, you get fertilized.

by ramara on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 11:52:10 PM PDT

•  arggggggggg (2+ / 0-)
          TheShovelJockey, RodneyGlassman

nooooo don't tell me that! dammit! i wanted to meet you guys soooo bad :( now i haz a serious sad

Support the BWIU and Shop the BWIUBS Store today!

by Spedwybabs on Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 09:37:23 PM PDT

• Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • International (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site