View Diary: Bill Halter comes out swinging - SLAMS (!!) Lincoln for bailout vote (193 comments)

•  It's a cheap and easy attack (4+ / 0-)

And frankly, Halter would probably have voted for it if confronted with the same scenario.

As I said above, it doesn't mean I don't support Halter in this race, but I still find this attack pretty lame.

What tends to happen when DKos backs a netroots candidate is so many refuse to hear criticism of their chosen candidates.  It reminds me when Ned Lamont ran against Lieberman and put Markos in an ad.   I remember criticizing it and saying, "who the hell knows or cares who Markos is?  This ad is a waste of money."

Man did I get hammered for that. Good to see there are others who feel as I do about this one.

I'm shocked to learn that 1 in 12 Americans do not know that the bird, is in fact, that word.

by dansac on Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 11:54:21 AM PDT

•  Let's assume you are correct (2+ / 0-)
      slinkerwink, condorcet

for the sake of argument (because I disagree with you on the substance.  The banks should have been allowed to live/die by the swords of their own making)...

But let's say you are right and this is a "cheap" attack bereft of seriousness.

Thousands of progressives have given Halter money to win his primary campaign.  If the campaign has reason to believe that Lincoln is vulnerable on this vote, should they not attack her for it?

What I mean is that a lot of people have trusted them with dollars that are pretty hard to come by these days.  They want him to be the Democratic candidate.  Is he supposed to ignore the reality of Arkansas politics and somehow rise above politics?  Even if it means all that donor money will have been lost?

I don't think that's the way the game is played.  You fight to win.

StarkReports.com: Unscripted, unvarnished and unedited

by Mike Stark on Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:03:05 PM PDT

•  Win the battle, lose the war? (0+ / 0-)

Win at all costs - even if you have to reinforce GOP themes to do it?  That's not what I gave him money for (and yes, I gave him money and still want him to win).

I don't want him to win his election by convincing more people that Obama and most Dems haven't done the right thing by preventing our financial system from collapsing.

The word bailout is bullshit to begin with - it's inaccurate in the extreme.  Almost all money has been repaid (in some cases with profit).

It's teabagger framing, and I don't want to see a Dem reinforce that frame.

by dansac on Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:06:45 PM PDT

•  It's not true that "almost all" money is repaid (1+ / 0-)
          lgcap

See ProPublica's summary.

The AIG money isn't paid back.

Citi's money isn't paid back.

Fannie and Freddie aren't paid back.

And while the bailout might have helped states like Michigan, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, New York, and California, the whole thing DIDN'T help Arkansas.

And Bill Halter is running for Senate from Arkansas, not any of the other states.

Remind me where you're from again?  (Not trying to get personal in order to attack, just trying to remember where you're coming from to understand you better.)

"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses." - CS Lewis, Weight of Glory

by Benintn on Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:16:58 PM PDT

•  I answered this above (1+ / 0-)
            Aexia

If you think Arkansas would have benefited from a collapsing financial system, that's great.

States have nothing to do with it, our system is far too entwined.

by dansac on Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:21:32 PM PDT

•  A couple reasons: (1+ / 0-)
        lgcap

I like the video, by the way.

But...

1.  We should explain the case clearly why TARP was necessary, instead of playing off frustrations and fears.
        1.  It helps the Democratic Party brand to be able to say, "Government can do big things and intervene in crisis situations, and we can actually make money off of it."

I think you and I are in agreement that the real problem wasn't so much TARP as it was the Fed's buyouts and secret deals...  Attacking TARP (a loan program) is a little unfair, when the real issue is irresponsible banks.

What I DO like about the video is that it pulls together the whole narrative - that Blanche Lincoln's support of globalization and deregulation helped create the mess we're in now.  I think that fuels the "anti-incumbent" mood that has already claimed Banking Committee chair Chris Dodd as a victim.

Blanche Lincoln ALREADY IS unelectable - all you're doing is holding up the mirror so that primary voters can see that fact.

Bill Halter has the advantage of being outside of Washington and representing the state's values and interests.  That is what a Senator is supposed to do.  And Bill Halter gets to be the "loyal opposition".

It's an uphill climb but that's the right path to victory.

Can Bill Halter make clear what was wrong with TARP and what the bailout vote means in context?

by Benintn on Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:13:15 PM PDT

•  Many great points (0+ / 0-)

But again - you don't need TARP to hit Lincoln for being pro-Wall Street.  Would have been pretty easy to craft this narrative without it.

by dansac on Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:22:44 PM PDT

• Education (18)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Racism (17)
  • Politics (17)
  • Media (17)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site