View Diary: The algebra formula that saved an industry (258 comments)

•  The only caveat is (11+ / 0-)

we must not eliminate the opportunities for children to learn those things that can't be taught in school.

I was a notoriously bad student, primarily due to the complete lack of interesting challenges.  I learned a great deal outside of school.  Were you to read my CV now, you probably wouldn't believe that.

Justice deferred is justice denied. -MLK

by zephron on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 11:25:13 AM PDT

•  Extracurriculum (5+ / 0-)

I'd like to see kids get school credit for what they learn outside of school. It's important adults can claim education when they compete with each other for later education or work, or just their own self esteem. Achievement testing should measure more practical application of skills, not just reporting the words taught to kids able to remember and parrot the teachers.

I say this as a talented standardized test taker who's taught myself more than most people have, for fun and profit.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 11:37:44 AM PDT

•  Unfortunately, even the notion of "credit" (4+ / 0-)
        Sychotic1, kurt, codairem, Larsstephens

is complicated.  Not all useful skills are easy to measure.  How does one compare vastly differing backgrounds among job candidates?  What, even, does a given grade mean (diligence, mastery, promise; not all A's are the same, even within a single class)?  But yes, I agree that it might be nice to appreciate the extracurricular experiences more.  Perhaps they would then be encouraged more often.

Justice deferred is justice denied. -MLK

by zephron on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 11:45:16 AM PDT

•  You also were probably pushed to study something (1+ / 0-)
      Larsstephens

when you weren't ready or had got it and were ready to move on.

Fear is the Mind Killer

by boophus on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 12:48:25 PM PDT

•  From the very beginning I had (4+ / 0-)
        Sychotic1, ER Doc, kurt, Larsstephens

a visceral dislike for busy work.  The number of teachers I had who did not assign busy work could be counted on one hand.  That's par for the course, of course.  On the other hand, however, I did get to keep some semblance of creativity!  And I did get busy doing very interesting things in college and beyond.  So, things turned out alright in the end.

In fact, of particular relevance to this discussion, I have a BS in Mathematics and Physics and a PhD in the latter.  So it is not as if I was turned off of math as a result.

Justice deferred is justice denied. -MLK

by zephron on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 01:06:34 PM PDT

•  I agree, which is why an optional (1+ / 0-)
      Larsstephens

session is so valuable, and why it should have all kinds of project-based learning and activities that are different from the regular curriculum.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 03:05:30 PM PDT