View Diary: I'm Gonna Say It Til I'm Blue in the Face (Or Sick With Salmonella) (206 comments)

•  I worked pressing apple cider one fall (2+ / 0-)
    Jill Richardson, Onomastic

for a nice family orchard in upstate NY. Do you want to know what used to go into cider? Perhaps not. It was delicious, but no way was it pure.

Great cider is still out there, but now it has to be pasteurized due to ecoli.  Which goes to show that small scale food production is not inherently safe and must be regulated, but as appropriate to the size of the operation and the product being produced. Cider mills went out of business, but more bought the $80,000 UV treatment equipment.

"While you're out there smashing the state, keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!" FFFreakbrothers

by the fan man on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 11:54:12 AM PDT

•  You should see all the spiders that get (3+ / 0-)
      Creosote, Eikyu Saha, Jill Richardson

squished in making wine, even if you carefully wash the grapes.  But I never got sick from them.  I figured they just make up part of that unique taste!

2.5 trillion dollars have been "borrowed" since the [SS] system was "reformed" in the 80s and they simply don't want to pay it back. - dKos Blogger -

by Silverbird on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 12:50:39 PM PDT

•  mmm (5+ / 0-)

it has the flavor of cherries, black pepper, and spiders

I wrote a book! You should buy it!

by Jill Richardson on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 03:02:12 PM PDT

•  I got into a great deal of trouble because I (2+ / 0-)
        Creosote, cai

guilted the grower into dumping a five hundred gallon batch (my days work) when I discovered a mouse had been pressed. Looking back on it, I don't know if I was overly cautious. I mean mouse scat had to be on the apples if a mouse was pressed. We washed the apples with a hose before pressing, but this wasn't really effective at removing all the junk found on them. This was when it was common practice to use drops, apples that fell off the tree during harvest.

Needless to say, I was canned shortly after that episode.

by the fan man on Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 04:29:28 PM PDT

•  alcohol content is around 14% tops... (0+ / 0-)

...occurring naturally in the fermentation process. Some wineries distill their wine to give it an extra kick, bringing the alcohol content up from 14% to another 4-8% points, which should kill any bacterium and any other bugs that got squashed. If it doesn't then at least you won't feel any pain right away. fwiw, I haven't inbibed in 10 years, but I've had a few meetings with the Night Train Express and Wild Irish Rose back in the day. I was also a major contributor to the Jim Beam, George Dickel, and Jack Daniels "retirement and benevolent association fund" way back in my wild and crazy days.

"Peace is the protector of genius. War is the mortal enemy of both peace and genius."

by ImpeachKingBushII on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 01:22:37 AM PDT

•  I've seen local unpasteurized cider (0+ / 0-)

sold at the farm that makes it.  It says on the bottle it's unpasteurized.  Presumably there's currently some kind of exemption for farm stands?

•  There may be an exemption, it seems unclear (0+ / 0-)

from my reading. I'm so used to farmers that sell at market as well as on farm, I missed that. It may be like raw milk, only on farm.

by the fan man on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 02:54:48 AM PDT