View Diary: Breaking:  Adoption and Foster Care Ban Ruled Unconstitutional (146 comments)

•  Going through the ArkTimes comments... (1+ / 0-)
    Clarknt67

Lots of folks are pointing out that, though the decision is a good one, the timing of it could not have been much worse.

Now we're gonna have to deal with a bunch of ticked-off Baptists who'll start to be whipped into a frenzy come Sunday, and these folks will not shut up until they get their way.

More importantly, if the fundies stay fired up all the way through November, then not only Blanche's Senate seat (hope to make it Halter's) but even Berry's & Snyder's open House seats, might fall to the wackos. There is a chance that the GOP could control the majority of the Congresional delegation for the first time ever, and this decision doesn't help on that front.

People here need to remember, Initiated Act 1 passed by over 2:1. That means a lot of Democrats voted for it too.

"I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear..." --Obama, 1/20/09

by SouthernFried on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 05:10:26 PM PDT

•  using that line of reasoning (6+ / 0-)

there would never be a good time to do the right thing.  When it comes to GLBT rights, it never seems to be good timing, does it?  That's the Democrats' standard line when asked why they aren't doing more to advance equality for GLBT Americans.  I call bullshit.

•  Don't call bullshit on me; I support this... (3+ / 0-)
        bustacap, LeftOverAmerica, john07801

And you're right. It is bullshit.

It's bullshit because of all the fundies from Texas and California that have taken over my state, and the evil corrupt preachers that have created a flock of even-crazier fundies out of the natives. All these horrible nasty people want nothing more than to take everyone's rights and dignity away save their own.

They exist, they are relentless.

All I'm doing is pointing out the possibility of a backlash that could possibly wind up making things worse (that does happen).

Restoring human dignity in the South is a long, hard, slog.

"I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear..." --Obama, 1/20/09

by SouthernFried on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 05:36:41 PM PDT

•  "As long as your lungs breath (3+ / 0-)
      Bob Love, john07801, majii

you fight." - Leon Uris

All evil needs to succeed is for good people to say "the votes aren't there in the Senate."

by Jacques on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 05:32:53 PM PDT

•  Exactly. (2+ / 0-)
        john07801, Jacques

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight. GOD NO!

I am part of this fight. But I, like the folks commenting on the ArkTimes blog that I was referencing, am a realist.

We must continue to fight, and we will. But never forget that the forces of darkness have both power and numbers. There will be setbacks on the way to the promised land.

"I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear..." --Obama, 1/20/09

by SouthernFried on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 05:39:48 PM PDT

•  When I was transitioning... (9+ / 0-)

...as a professor at UCA, it was never a good time for anyone to be supportive of me, apparently.  I've had more former students and colleagues there contact me here at Daily Kos, than ever said anything supportive to me when I was there.  And that's not even talking about the citizens of Conway who tried to run me out of town.

•  I lived in conway for a few years (2+ / 0-)
        Bob Love, Cali Techie

I'm well aware of all the anti-gay stuff that goes on there. Like that gay couple who had two tons of manure dumped in their yard a few years back. That was shortly before I left, and it made me sick to know that people are willing to harass other people like that.

You and I have never met, but the fact that I know I would have been afraid to support you in front of the wackos says a lot of unpleasant things about myself. I know I should speak out more. That I don't is my fault.

I guess the reason more sympathetic locals don't speak up (my own family among them) is that they don't want to be targeted by the crazies. I know at least a few liberals in my hometown who admit that if people knew their politics, they'd lose their jobs or their business.

We shouldn't have to run scared from these crazies. But it's hard to change tradition. I suppose we gotta start somewhere though.

"I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear..." --Obama, 1/20/09

by SouthernFried on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 05:54:41 PM PDT

•  Act 1 DID NOT pass 2:1, it passed (0+ / 0-)

57% to 43% during the election where Obama lost to McCain by even more than that 59% to 39%

•  Well, what DO the Baptists do there about the (1+ / 0-)
      Bob Love

straight but unmarried couple? This law has no exception for adoption or fostering by kin, so it prefers strangers to kin for kids in this fix, not really a good Arkansas idea or a good idea anywhere.

The way this one was worded, there are at least two separate constituencies there, not just the one originally intended, and even racist Rs would agree that Arkansas white  straight folks got rights, the ones reserved to the (white)(straight) people under the Federal Constitution. And state law and Constitution is being treated here as paramount and governing, so States' righters can't complain either. This decision genuinely has its interesting points.

•  57 to 43 is not 2:1 n/t (2+ / 0-)
      jsamuel, Cali Techie

"Baby, if I told you I was a race with 1% of precincts reporting, would you call me?"

by Daxton16 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 08:41:28 PM PDT