View Diary: "Honor" Killings: Two-Day Old Baby Girl Buried (329 comments)

•  so it means we should ignore (2+ / 0-)
    churchylafemme, efraker

gender-related violence in the world because of problems within our own government and society?

Join Our Countdown To Health Reform! Project I work with Progressive Congress Action Fund, a 501(c)4.

by slinkerwink on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 07:37:46 PM PDT

•  What specifically is being proposed to fight... (1+ / 0-)
      protectspice

gendered violence in other societies? That is the question. (At least it's my question.) What are the specifics of this bill? I followed the link and didn't get much of an answer even  there. This is a reasonable question to ask, isn't it? Just because something is done in the name of ending gendered violence, doesn't automatically make it a good idea.

ORGANIZE early, ORGANIZE often.

by bicycle Hussein paladin on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 07:56:41 PM PDT

•  I've read thru the thread, paladin (4+ / 0-)

and I have no idea what you're getting at, your critical comments seem to
        1.Attack Slink for writing the diary
        2.Criticize the very motives she has for writing it
        3.Suggest that it's a pointless exercise because our country isn't perfect and since we're not prepared to invade Turkey to make it stop, we should just shut up about it.

Your comments really seem pointless and meandering.

How about if you go write your own diary, and we'll come and make pointed and pointless criticism because your diary isn't perfect and besides we can't really do anything about the subject anyway.

Maybe I'm full of crap, but that's how your comments add up to me.

I really can't discern a coherent thought in your comments, perhaps it's just too tired and I'm getting too late.

"Ronald Reagan is DEAD! His policies live on but we're doing something about THAT!"

by leftykook on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 08:21:45 PM PDT

•  Don't play that game (3+ / 0-)

It doesn't suit you.

No. It means that when we actually respect and value the lives of women in nations where these atrocities occur, instead using them as objects to prop up the crumbling and false mythology of our own divine benevolence, then and only then will we have the moral right to demand that others do as we do.

When the countless Iraqi and Afghan women and girls who have been murdered in their own countries as a result of US military violence are regarded as equally deserving of the justice you seek for the victims of "honor killings", then we'll be on the same page.

Illegal Alien: Term used by the descendents of foreign colonizers to refer to the descendents of indigenous people

by mojada on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 07:59:02 PM PDT

•  can't help others until we're moral paragons? (4+ / 0-)
        slinkerwink, Shhs, Alice Olson, erush1345

We don't have the moral right to demand that people stop infanticide... because we do immoral things, and our reason for helping people isn't solely for the people's own good.

Hypothetical: you're getting mugged. Someone comes up and says 'hey, if I help you out, can I get a reward?'

Well clearly you tell him to go jump in a lake - since he's not doing it for all the right reasons.

I've heard someone said 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'; you're the first person I've ever seen advocate 'let he who is without sin help those in trouble'

"Any plan I sign must include an insurance exchange ... including a public option" President Obama, 7.18.09

by efraker on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 09:56:47 PM PDT

•  I understand (0+ / 0-)

I've met American exceptionalists like you before.

"We had to destroy the village in order to save it".

You would have had a blast in Vietnam.

We don't have the moral right to demand that people stop infanticide

If you think that US military-engineered infanticide in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Iraq is justified because of your "noble intentions", we don't have anything to talk about.

by mojada on Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 11:48:53 PM PDT

•  I think you don't (0+ / 0-)

I'm not an American exceptionalist; I actively opposed Viet Nam, and over a dozen other US military operations since then. I oppose every war we're in right now, and I'm comfortable going out on a limb and saying that I oppose the next ones, too.

If you think that military force is the only way to influence the events in another nation - if you discount the humane efficiency of trade incentives, targeted diplomacy, and non-violent action - then indeed, we don't have anything to talk about.

by efraker on Sat Apr 17, 2010 at 03:06:52 PM PDT