View Diary: Lowden camp triples down on 'Chickens for Checkups' (334 comments)

•  They actually have a web page telling (1+ / 0-)
    dwayne

doctors how to use barter and how to deal with the tax laws of it. They realize it is actually something doctors have to consider. Especially in poor and rural areas. Make all the jokes you want. It is real and it is happening.

Wal*Mart isn't the root of all evil but you can buy the plastic, cadmium-tainted, Chinese knock-off of it there for $4.27

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 02:07:01 PM PDT

•  I wasn't making jokes at all. (2+ / 0-)
      Vicky, DrPlacebo

It simply wasn't clear what you were talking about.

In fact, while doctors have always on occasion bartered their care, neither the AMA nor anyone has ever claimed that barter is an appropriate, useful, or serious "basis for a health care system".

I wrote exactly what I meant, and I'm exactly right.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 02:12:45 PM PDT

•  I don't think too many people here (3+ / 0-)
      Vicky, AdamSelene, DrPlacebo

are denying that anyone barters health care.

What they're saying is

1. It should NOT be the main currency of medical finances;
      1. The chicken analogy is laughable to the point of embarrassing in this day and age;
      1. The idea that the HCR law should be struck down in favor of this is most certainly a joke, laughable to the point of embarrassing.

In fact I could see a Daily Show correspondent being all over this.  Comedy gold, I'm telling you.  The additional info about the fact that the AMA actually offers barter advice would be helpful.

The only part of my country I'm ashamed of, is Sean Hannity.

by dwayne on Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 02:52:51 PM PDT

•  And what many here are failing to grasp (0+ / 0-)

is how this going to play in the rural areas. We're so busy congratulating ourselves and laughing at the hick politician we're forgetting that people who vote might just decide this means she's one of them. Wow, the arrogance of the left can sure shine bright in a few areas.

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 02:56:20 PM PDT

•  how this will play in rural areas (1+ / 0-)
          mediapolitic

I doubt there are many people who do this and love it, and want it to be the preferred way or the government to ensure it happens this way.  I can't see that many people shoving affordable health care aside for the barter system if they have a choice.  And people who vote might also think she's a loon (there's the bird analogy again) for holding this up as a model, preferred policy.

I'm not looking down on the idea that some people use a barter system, but I am looking down on it as the beginning and end of a candidate's policy statement. And I still say, the chicken reference was unfortunate.

The only part of my country I'm ashamed of, is Sean Hannity.

by dwayne on Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 03:33:16 PM PDT

•  What do you think rural people (0+ / 0-)

do for a living? Hint - they're not all farmers.

Some are wealthy, some commute to the cities, some are entrepreneurs, and a few are farmers.

This isn't the 1900s. Farmers account for a very small percentage of the population.

•  When you're right, your're right (0+ / 0-)

I guess that's why there's an Electoral College, and a House of Representatives apportioned by POPULATION.

Seriously, though

Rural politicians have been using that "Aw shucks, I'm just a simple country lawyer" routine since Abe Lincoln ran for the Illinois General Assembly by channeling Andrew Jackson ...

It's not that they or their constituents are particularly unlettered or unobservant ... it's just that there's so many truly dumb city slickers who are willing to believe they are that it would just be foolish for want of sense to let them in on the secret.

People who work the land ... indeed people who work FOR the people who work (as in 'own') the land ... learned the shortcomings of barter about a thousand years before they learned the drawbacks of the Gold Standard -- as in Populist William Jennings Bryan "you shall not crucify mankind on a Cross of ..."

They know, for example when you trade goods for services, you generally DISCOUNT your goods to a wholesale price -- though you're only selling a retail quantity.  And how many butchered steers can one country doctor really eat -- assuming that someone too poor to pay the office visit actually HAS a steer to butcher.

So ... while the Urban Proletariat of the late 19th Century hadn't a CLUE why "Free Silver" might be a good thing ... most of the horney handed, overall wearing rural people had a pretty good notion of how banks' management of money supply and credit operated to keep farmers and farm workers poor and indebted.

So ... those rural folks of yours would have had to come down in the world a bit if you think they're really taken in by the notion that barter can replace the cash markets that have served them rather well since George III was King.

•  Yeah, where's the link?? (0+ / 0-)

I see you've mentioned this AMA website a bunch in your comments, yet I've yet to see proof.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 03:32:03 PM PDT

•  Right (0+ / 0-)

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 04:24:17 PM PDT

•  Read the article and find out (0+ / 0-)

how complex it really is and how few patients should be involved, even by this article's recommendations.  If I read the article right, it looks like you could even end up having to pay something just for the "privelage" of being able to barter.

The article talks about some kind of "bartering exchange."  My guess is the article is really a commercial in disguise for the bartering exchange.

•  The real shame is the AMA should be pushing (0+ / 0-)

for single payer. Then doctor's wouldn't have to be in the business of barter. But in rural parts of the country like I grew up barter is a reality. I'm sure it is in Nevada as well.

by ontheleftcoast on Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 08:18:10 PM PDT