View Diary: Science Fiction - The Literature of True Dreams (89 comments)

•  It did diversify quite a lot. (2+ / 0-)
    Linnaeus, wolfie1818

I still prefer science fiction whose goal is to inspire and create a sense of awe and reverence, a kind of hymnal to a limitless.  Asimov's Foundation series does that for me; so does the Dune series; so does a lot of what Arthur C. Clarke wrote.  Those authors, even when they writing about dystopias, something in their viewpoint screamed inspiration.  There's not a trace of nihilism in their work.

"Consequences shmonsequences, as long as I'm rich." --Daffy Duck, Republican Hero

by Troubadour on Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 02:30:30 PM PDT

•  There's a place for that of course (2+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, wolfie1818

I probably prefer the grittier, "ground-level" stories that are heavily influenced by anthropology & sociology.  But even very expansive stories, e.g., Dune, Foundation, etc. can have those influences as well.

I've been reading a lot of sci-fi from the 1970s, and I find that a lot of the books from that period are more "social", even when they deal a lot with "hard" topics, and I find that really appealing.

Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

by Linnaeus on Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 02:41:05 PM PDT

•  Joe Haldeman pissed me off. (2+ / 0-)
        Linnaeus, wolfie1818

Such transparent timeliness and finger-wagging in a genre that's supposed to be about the future and large concepts.

by Troubadour on Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 02:45:17 PM PDT

•  Just read The Forever War (1+ / 0-)
          Troubadour

I thought it was outstanding.  I thought it was a very good response to books like Starship Troopers.

by Linnaeus on Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 02:48:31 PM PDT

•  Starship Troopers was naive. (1+ / 0-)
            wolfie1818

The Forever War was consciously obnoxious, and would have seemed dated even by the '80s.  Haldeman's sin was that he wasn't actually trying to explore anything, just to rail against current events and transpose the Vietnam War into space.  It was so blindingly obvious, I had to force myself to finish the book.  It was the SF equivalent of that song "Eve of Destruction."

by Troubadour on Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 02:58:06 PM PDT

•  That didn't bother me at all. (2+ / 0-)
              Troubadour, wolfie1818

I don't think sci-fi always has to be about exploring what's "out there".  Sometimes it can be about exploring what's going on within humankind; furthermore, as we've no doubt seen, justifications for war seem to endure no matter what era we're in.

by Linnaeus on Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 03:06:28 PM PDT

•  Yes, but the very premise was never plausible. (2+ / 0-)
                Linnaeus, wolfie1818

He exaggerated it beyond all credulity, ignoring the complexity of reality (a cardinal sin in this genre) in order to scream a political point.

by Troubadour on Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 03:27:40 PM PDT