View Diary: Why I'm feminist (205 comments)

•  if you're not... (4.00)
    ...then you already have a definition of feminism that you reject. What is it?
    •  Well, (none)
      I take feminism to be the theory that the differences between men and women, (e.g. the fact that women are more likely to be the ones taking care of children), are primarily socially constructed, rather than genetically ingrained. And I think Darwinism argues against that pretty convincingly.

Of course, the meaning of feminism has bled into the sentiment "women are swell!", and who could disagree with that?

•  Where (4.00)
        did you get that idea?

It's a point that feminists of different stripes argue about.  But: (1) it's not something that people who call themselves feminists agree on, and (2) the answer to the nature/nurture question is not central to the primary goals of feminism - social and political equality.

I think you are a bit off on your definition of feminism.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

by johnny rotten on Mon Jan 17, 2005 at 01:46:02 PM PST

•  That definition... (4.00)
        is pure garbage.

Feminism: Women are endowed with their creator certain inalienable rights -- namely, all the rights that their male counterparts have. That these rights include life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Also: the right not to be beaten up by your spouse with no succor from the law.

The right to wear pants. The right NOT to wear pants. The right to go out without wearing underwear and not be crucified in court for it should you have the bad luck to get raped that night.

The right not to be burned alive on a pyre simply because your husband has died.

Stuff like that.

Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Mon Jan 17, 2005 at 01:56:22 PM PST

•  ack (none)
          my syntax SUCKED in that comment.

Women are endowed with BY their Creator... These rights include.
          Good lord. I must have been atad peeved when I typed that out without checking.

Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Mon Jan 17, 2005 at 03:52:14 PM PST

•  Only skinny minis, no pants allowed... (4.00)
          The right to wear pants...

In junior high back in 1970, I wore a pair of slacks to school. Guess you could call that my slippery slope toward rabble-rousing.  They called my mother and sent me home.  Mini skirts were okay, but those pants were just too much...

Politics is not about ...predictions. Politics is what we create by what we do, what we hope for, and what we dare to imagine. Paul Wellstone

by bronte17 on Mon Jan 17, 2005 at 04:50:45 PM PST

•  the simplest definition of feminism (4.00)
        as per dictionary.com

fem·i·nism  n.
        Belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.
        The movement organized around this belief.
        ----

Whatever people may choose to believe about the roots of the lowered status of women in society  throughout history that have manifested themselves into today's common attitudes, feminism is about levelling the playing field.

•  Just because there are (4.00)
        biological differences doesn't mean we shouldn't have the same rights under the law, the same opportunities, etc. That to me is what feminism is about.

The only shame is to lose heart.

by Debby on Mon Jan 17, 2005 at 02:00:23 PM PST

•  Yeah (4.00)
          This is the tack that the Equal Opportunities Commission is taking over in the U.K. They are an excellent clearing house for research on sexism, posters (U.K. applicable) and stuff, and legal info. They rock.

re. biology

Not disagreeing with you per se, but think it makes more sense to think of sex as involving a set of characteristics that usually, though not always, align in particular ways, rather than as a mutually exclusive binary. Mainly that's because I want an account of sex that includes people who are intersexed.

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth and I am a citizen of the world -- Eugene Debs

by dove on Mon Jan 17, 2005 at 02:14:17 PM PST

•  I personally think biological differences are (none)
          overrated, but even if they weren't they should still be mostly irrelevant.  Obviously we have to recognize social inequality, but we sure as hell don't have to support it in the legal system.
      •  Well, *obviously* (4.00)
        It's genetics that make women wear pink instead of blue, make them earn a smaller share of society's wealth than men, make them less literate globally, give them a smaller share of Congressional representation, tells them to shut up in church, and trivializes rape.

I mean, shit, what else could that be but genetics?

Speaking as a male, it's certainly not anything to do with enforcing the privileges of my sex!

Oh, and I think women are "swell" too.

•  Oh crap! (none)
          My genes are totally screwed up!

I hate pink, my favorite color is blue; I don't earn a smaller share of the wealth (unless you count the fact that I'm currently unemployed), I'm not illiterate.

On the plus side, I am underrepresented in congress, I'm not allowed to be a priest, and well, rape is a trivialized.

So, does this make me an andro?  I hope not, it would really confuse my kids, not to mention my husband.

Is there someplace I can go to get genetic counseling?

Most importantly: can I still have long hair?

/sacasm
          (p.s. JohnCLoki, I understood your sarcasm, just adding a "girl's" perspective)