View Diary: Keep Abortion Safe and Legal? Yes. Make it Rare? Not the Point. (131 comments)

•  The word rare infers Abortions are bad. (7+ / 0-)

The Anti life crusaders have been on a successful crusade to demonize Abortions. Many on the left have bought into their lies concerning abortions. An abortion is no different than having our apendix removed. There is NO harm or destruction of life,involved PERIOD. If you believe Abortions should be rare you are legitimizing the false premise that a taking of life is somehow involved in having an abortion.

Disabled Viet Vet ret. My snark is worse than my bite

by eddieb061345 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 07:54:58 AM PDT

•  Abortion is worse than prevention (11+ / 0-)

While it's very safe as medical procedures go, it's still extremely painful and carries a nonzero risk of complication, both of which drawbacks increase with the duration of pregnancy.

Which is one of the many reasons that access and affordability need to be improved so that women who need abortions are able to get them as early as they are able to make the decision. But it's also the reason why access to and affordability of contraception needs to be a major priority; abortions will always be needed, but the number can be reduced, and that's undeniably a good thing. Nobody wants an abortion if simply not getting pregnant is an available alternative.

The problem with "safe, legal, and rare" rhetoric is that it opens the door for the "moderate" right wing to pursue "rare" by limiting access rather than reducing need.

Every horror committed by man begins with the lie that some man is not a man. - Jyrinx

by kyril on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 08:08:36 AM PDT

•  Not always (7+ / 0-)

They're not always extremely painful, if you have them early and have proper before-and-after care.  (TMI time) I've had periods that were worse than my abortion.

•  It's still and invasive procedure. It's just like (5+ / 0-)

saying it's best to keep any surgery from happening, by leading a healthier lifestyle.

How about brushing twice a day and flossing to prevent rotting teeth?

In most cases, prevention is better than requiring some form of surgery or intrusive procedure.

Progressives will win when the country becomes Progressive.

by auapplemac on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 09:26:04 AM PDT

•  Mine was awful (2+ / 0-)
          Nina Katarina, Mrs M

I had a medical abortion (so it was really really early) and it was truly horrible. Less intensely painful than giving birth, but it lasted for a week.

I'd still pick that over a surgical one because it's less invasive and involves less handling of that part of my anatomy, but it was a week of Hell nonetheless. I can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't been on leave that week. I couldn't have worked.

by kyril on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 10:23:01 AM PDT

•  Experiences vary widely (2+ / 0-)
            kyril, Mrs M

Mine was a couple of hours of weakness and then I recovered well enough to go out dancing past midnight the next night.  Then again, I was in labor for three whole hours when I had my kid, so obviously I lucked out in the uterine pain receptors lottery.

The problem, of course, is when a hater who might have similar levels of pain receptors takes her experience as the norm and thinks that women who actually do experience pain are faking it, or whiners, and thus tries to minimize the experience.

•  Let me ask you Eddie... (0+ / 0-)

at what precise moment does life begin?

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me' MT 25:40

by Ed G on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 08:23:16 AM PDT

•  The day your born. (4+ / 0-)
        Tonedevil, esquimaux, martydd, Mrs M

Look, we can go down this path and this is exactly what the riligous nuts want. This "when does life begin" issue is a red Herring. A fetus is not a Child. Most important the Pro Life Position is the PRO Abortion stance.

Disabled Viet Vet ret. My snark is worse than my bite

by eddieb061345 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 08:47:42 AM PDT

•  You may be right. (0+ / 0-)

I read an article recently that described a procedure where a fetus was aborted moments before birth and it made me sick to my stomach that a culture would find that acceptable.

I can't scientifically prove that a person becomes a person before the day they are born, it's just what I believe.

by Ed G on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 08:56:30 AM PDT

•  The more relevant question is (7+ / 0-)

At what precise moment does a woman lose her autonomy, and become nothing but an incubator?

My dogs think triciawyse is smart and pretty. They think I'm a strange, frumpy woman wth limitless snacks.

by martydd on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 08:52:16 AM PDT

•  never. (2+ / 0-)
          auapplemac, kyril

guess that's why those of us who grapple with both questions believe abortion should be safe, accessible, accepted, legal, and preferably less common than today.

There are ways to help reduce unwanted pregnancies that in no way intefere with anyone's ability to maintain their autonomy.

by Ed G on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 09:00:49 AM PDT

•  Instate the Draft (2+ / 0-)
          Tonedevil, martydd

Terminating the life of a fetus could be made illegal when a safe and free method is available to transfer the fetus to the belly of a man who is drafted for that purpose.

Until then, noone has any business telling the mother what to do, even if they regard abortion as abhorrent and the fetus as a human life.

The rights of the fetus end where the rights of the mother begin.

Religion gives men the strength to do what should not be done.

by bobtmn on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 11:39:29 AM PDT

•  not bad per se (1+ / 0-)
      kyril

but partially preventable.

i think everyone would argue there are a certain amount of abortions that could be prevented thorugh education and birth control.

and yes, i will admit i would rather see a pregnancy never happen than have someone get an abortion. i know that isn't by the line pro-choice, but it's how i feel.

but as i said, it's not my choice, and being a man, it never will be my choice in the end