View Diary: ***  You Go Bernie  *** (190 comments)

•  If??? (8+ / 0-)

If Teddy Roosevelt could break up the oil companies, Obama can break up the banks.

If the queen had cojones, she'd be king.

Obama isn't going to break up anything.  And I'll bet good money, there is nothing Geithner could do that would make Obama fire him.

Obama is an organizer/committee chairman and not a leader.

•  Obama tends to take on his milieu (22+ / 0-)

In IL, he could fit right in the liberal good govt mold of his predecessors Paul Douglas, Adlai III, Paul Simon, and Dick Durbin.  It's a senatorial tradition dating back to the late 40's, and it was a comfortable fit that nicely contrasted him to his foes in the 2004 primary and GE campaigns.

Once he got to the Oval, he found that the WJC/DLC milieu fit him better.  His COS, his SecTreas, his chief economic advisor, his AG, and, of course, his SoS are all from that school.  The retention of his predecessor's SecDef and Fed Chair demonstrated further accomodation to the status quo.

As to the subject of the diary, I've given to every one of Bernie's campaigns since his first (narrowly) unsuccesful House campaign in '88.  One of the few slivers of light that shone through the gloom of '94 was that Bernie (narrowly) survived.  While I still wish that he and Paul Wellstone could've served together in the Senate, I'm thankful every day that Bernie is still around.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 02:15:22 PM PDT

•  Near As I Can Tell, The Democratic Party As Well (10+ / 0-)

as the Republican Party have become wholly owned subsidiaries of Goldman-Sachs.

Don't know about the other two, but Obama is no Paul Simon nor Paul Douglas.  No way, not ever.  Simon and Douglas were actual liberals.

The big banks are well protected from any threat to their power through legislation by Democrats as well as Republicans.

We peasants aren't.

JMO.

Best,  Terry

•  Senator Obama fit the IL good govt liberal (9+ / 0-)

profile.  Since Durbin is the current Senate Majority Whip, his record is readily available. Durbin, whom Simon enthusiastically endorsed as his successor, pushed Obama to run for the WH.

Simon was a mentor of Obama's.  Simon cut an ad for Obama shortly before his death from post-surgical complications in late 2003.  Obama's campaign ran the ad in S. Ill. in 2004.

As someone who was very active in Simon's 1988 POTUS campaign, I saw many parallels between him then and Obama 20 years later.  POTUS Obama, however has governed very differently.

by RFK Lives on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 04:52:59 PM PDT

•  And therein lies the problem (7+ / 0-)

POTUS Obama, however has governed very differently.

A candidate cannot run as an agent of change and then govern conventionally.  My best guess tell me Obama's disapproval numbers are equally split between those who think he's gone too far and those who think he hasn't gone far enough.

The fact is President Obama has turned off many supporters by his lurch to the middle.  You cannot gin up enthusiasm by attempting to go back into campaign mode.  Many voters have been turned off.  In a close election, that turned off voter can make the difference.

•  great insight - f'ing pollsters don't wanna know (5+ / 0-)

or at least they don't want US to know.

That is one GOD DAMNED IMPORTANT INSIGHT.

Mr. Moulitas PLEASE DO A POLL TO SEE IF THIS HUNCH IS CORRECT.

"The problems of incompetent, corrupt, corporatist government are incompetence, corruption and corporatism, not government." Jerome a Paris

by Earth Ling on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 08:18:01 PM PDT

•  Liberal vs. Conservative Is Not About Good Govt (2+ / 0-)
            RFK Lives, thethinveil

inherently but about change:

CONSERVATIVE, n.
               A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. - The Devil's Dictionary

It is most bizarre that Richard Nixon, of all people, had one of the most liberal administrations of the 20th Century though Nixon was neither a liberal nor a good guy in any sense of the word.

Nixon's opening to China betrayed his old friends and ended the Cold War.  Nixon's beginnings of a negative income tax offered the hope of ending the abomination of intrusivewelfare in a far different way than Clinton.

That in no way excuses Nixon's vicious anti-semitism, his employment of illegal means to satisfy his paranoia, his continuation of the Vietnam War at enormous cost in lives and treasure, etc.

I am only remarking on the theme of liberal vs. conservative.

Obama is frightened by change.  He is a conservative through and through, quite different from the reactionary Republicans who soil the term.

Best,  Terry

•  If these were the days of Sen Javits or (4+ / 0-)

even Sen Alphonse (You need a law fixed?) D'Amato, Obama would be understood as a Rockefeller Republican.

This says more about the huge shift in our governing class toward the Right over time, than it does about Obama. And that invariable rightward tilt on the big issues of Finance and War is the thing which needs correcting somehow.

Until we break the corporate virtual monopoly on what we hear and see, we keep losing, don't matter what we do.

by Jim P on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 10:21:14 PM PDT

•  Obviously There Are A Few Like Weiner, Grayson, (1+ / 0-)
                riverlover

Kucinich and a great surprise to me in the Senate: Jeff Merkeley.

I don't see any comparison between Paul Simon and Obama, no matter how famously they got along.  I am glad to hear that our friend was able to campaign for the great Paul Simon and wish with all my heart I could see another Paul Simon in Obama.

In my own state of New York, I now have two senators who are wholly owned by the big bankers whatever their other virtues might be.  My representative is a Blue Dog, for whom the health care bill written by lobbyists was too hard on the insurance vultures.

Sure different than when I was represented by the wild and woolly Sen. Morse, one of the only two men to vote against the Vietnam War. Both were immediately thrown out of office first chance the voters got to do so.

Never has been terribly rewarding being a liberal.  We seem to be cannon fodder mostly.  But never quite go away.  The yearning for freedom can never be completely crushed by tyranny of any kind.

Best,  Terry

•  I just hope that Bernie (6+ / 0-)

Doesn't fly in any small planes.

I do not like thee, Doctor Fell, The reason why I cannot tell; But this I know, and know full well, I do not like thee, Doctor Fell.

by opinionated on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 06:32:24 PM PDT

•  People took "The Democratic Wing of the (4+ / 0-)

Democratic Party" from Wellstone without crediting him. He meant it. I saw him on C-Span in his very first testing the waters in Iowa. He made the case, "National Security starts with a healthy, intelligent, self-confident citizenry. That's why my National Security Program makes sure that every single child within our borders, regardless of circumstance is offered the nutrition, the personal contact, the stimulation which every study says leads to such adults."

paraphrased. And about 100x more powerfully expressed in his words, with his presence.

To me, his death was a disaster for the United States. And I don't use the word lightly here.

by Jim P on Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 10:12:39 PM PDT