View Diary: S.510:  Food Safety Bill Debate Continues (just not in the Senate) (37 comments)

•  perhaps I didn't state that (2+ / 0-)
    4Freedom, bsmechanic

as well as I could.  What I meant was that the bill would fill many of the gaps between the enforcement of the two agencies in with regards to food regulation.  I didn't mean to suggest that the two agencies would be rolled into one.

I would, however, argue that food and agriculture are two sides of the same coin and should be regulated by the same agency.  I am curious though about why you would prefer them separated.

"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" -6.75, -6.26

by gravlax on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 09:51:57 PM PDT

•  My preference would be for the FDA to not exist. (4+ / 0-)
      gerrilea, 4Freedom, gravlax, DawnN

I do not believe one agency should regulate both food/agriculture, of any kind, and drugs; similarly, I'd prefer one agency to regulate meat/livestock and the other fruits/vegetables.

Drugs, for sure, should be regulated by a separate agency with employees with that expertise. Food should be regulated by those with "agricultural/ food" knowledge. I believe this unnatural blending of food/drug regulation into one agency is what promotes things like chemical companies having free reign and running our food supply--something I abhor. There is a lot of collusion, I believe, between low-quality food production and drug development.

"[K]now that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy." -Barack Obama

by Battle4Seattle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 10:00:24 PM PDT

•  well said (4+ / 0-)

I hadn't thought of it from that angle.  I agree that drugs should be their own agency.  On that we agree completely.

I also like the idea of one agency regulating ranching and the other regulating crop farming.  I think that it is a natural and fair distinction.  Thanks for your comments and causing me to think a little bit.  I appreciate that.

"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" -6.75, -6.26

by gravlax on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 10:03:14 PM PDT

•  I thank you heartilly for posting this diary. (4+ / 0-)
          4Freedom, bsmechanic, gravlax, DawnN

There is far too litte discussion about agriculture/food issues in this country. We can do without a lot of things--but we all have to eat to live.

I believe in checks and balances, and I truly believe separate agencies are necessary to fulfill that purpose. Also, the separation of experts and necessary (and sorely lacking) studies.

by Battle4Seattle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 10:10:29 PM PDT

•  FDA & USDA (2+ / 0-)
      Battle4Seattle, gravlax

Why do we have a Food and Drug Administration, rather than something like a Food and Agriculture Department?

Blame Coca Cola, back in 1906?

•  thanks for pointing that out (3+ / 0-)
        Garrett, gerrilea, Battle4Seattle

I appreciate it.  I am far from an expert on any of this.  I'm just trying to bring some food issues to light here at DKos.  Of course the FDA exists in its current form due to patent medicines and things like Coca-Cola.  Thanks for pointing that out.

"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" -6.75, -6.26

by gravlax on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 10:54:04 PM PDT

•  Probably the first, but definitely not the last (3+ / 0-)
        Garrett, gerrilea, gravlax

"drugged" food allowed. First cocaine, then caffiene. That's what I mean about mixing poisons with food--bad idea.

by Battle4Seattle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 11:07:22 PM PDT