View Diary: FL-Sen: Crist is officially an independent (249 comments)

•  So did I. Which is why i am torn (3+ / 0-)
    mdmslle, Eddie L, LaurenMonica

I really think he could beat Rubio hands down if it was not a 3 way race.  Don't think Meek can

Barack Obama: "Dr. King said, "We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope." Jan17, 2010

by vc2 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 03:13:25 PM PDT

•  meek would have been OK (3+ / 0-)
      Matt Z, Eddie L, vc2

head to head with rubio.

rubio is nuts. he's not disciplined. he's got a quick mouth and shoots off and has blundered several times already (seen in the local news) and said off putting things that would have turned indies and moderates away and toward the only other sane choice: Meek.  Now, that's not going to happen. Now voters have a choice between a moderate republican (who likes education and voting rights) and a progressive down-the-line democrat. In FL, that's spells bad news for Meek.

damnit.

Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I will tell you what you believe. h/t MeteorBlades

by mdmslle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 03:20:34 PM PDT

•  The polling for Rubio vs Meek (1+ / 0-)
        mdmslle

is not very good. From 4 polls, Rasmussen, DKos/R2000, Quinnipac and Mason-Dixon, Rubio averages 8.5 points over Meek in a head to head:

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul, And sings the tune--without the words, And never stops at all. -Emily Dickinson

by skohayes on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 03:50:05 PM PDT

•  well it doesnt matter now anyway (2+ / 0-)
          Matt Z, skohayes

i think those numbers would have tightened in our favor. meek has been running stealth since declaring while rubio's been running ads on TV non stop.

i think an 8 point spread at that point was not a big deal.  meek was running stealth because he COULD. there was a GOP primary and all meek needed to do was raise money and sure up his own base. It's politics 101. Then come out hard once the GOP primary was over. It's basically the way any candidate would do it.

And FWIW meel is very active in the state among dems. He collected 160,000+ signatures statewide to make the ballot and he's got his grassroots base in place. Steve Schale is managing his campaign. He wads Obama's FL director in 2008. No slouch.

Now? I'm much less optimistic. But I'm just giving you my vantagepoint from Florida. Check out his Facebook page. It's extremely active and has been for quite  while now. He was  visible where he needed to be given the circumstances. Now that Crist is in, expect a lot more visibility.

by mdmslle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 04:19:51 PM PDT

•  oh and I also follow schale's blog (3+ / 0-)
          gogol, skohayes, Alise

by mdmslle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 04:21:52 PM PDT

•  Great link (1+ / 0-)
            mdmslle

"Cristpalooza" has already started here, I think.

by skohayes on Thu Apr 29, 2010 at 04:34:51 PM PDT