View Diary: Oh-Sen: Primary in its last day. Go, Jennifer Brunner! (81 comments)

•  I haven't got a horse in this but (1+ / 0-)
    Eposter

isn't it the case that she trails very badly in the polls? If you think she has a chance, you need to try to make the case. Not the case that she's the best person for the job, but the case that she has a realistic chance of winning this election.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sun May 02, 2010 at 09:45:34 PM PDT

•  Why? (1+ / 0-)
      Lawrence

You should vote for the person you most want to win, regardless of the "polls".

DARTH SPECTER: I am altering the deal! Pray I don't alter it any further!
      LANDO REID: This deal keeps getting worse all the time!

by LordMike on Sun May 02, 2010 at 09:56:48 PM PDT

•  I agree with that (2+ / 0-)
        Lawrence, RandomNonviolence

because polls have been all over, and the latest poll on the race against Portman actually shows Jennifer doing a tad better but not enough to give that as a reason for favoring one candidate over the other. So yes, you should vote for the candidate you think would be a better senator.

Stop Rob "The Job Outsourcer" Portman. Jennifer Brunner for Senate http://www.jenniferbrunner.com

by anastasia p on Sun May 02, 2010 at 10:02:03 PM PDT

•  General election polls aren't helpful... (1+ / 0-)
          prdrums77

Lee Fisher's inherent weaknesses have not been highlighted yet by his opponent.  As you well know, Lee fisher has a lot of serious vulnerabilities that have been papered over here, not to mention 20 years of electoral failure.

DARTH SPECTER: I am altering the deal! Pray I don't alter it any further!
          LANDO REID: This deal keeps getting worse all the time!

by LordMike on Sun May 02, 2010 at 10:04:03 PM PDT

•  She's suddenly trailed in the last week (4+ / 0-)

but oddly, we're not hearing any evidence of this movement in making calls. I was tipped off that the weird last-minute Suffolk poll may have been commissioned as an attempt at spin by the DSCC. It is very hard to tell what is going on here honestly. I think at this point either candidate has a chance, and it isn't for me to "make a case' about who can win the primary. The voters will decide. As far as winning in November, the same Quinnipiac poll that showed her behind by 17 points, also showed both candidates beating Portman by a few ponits, with Jennifer beating him by a slightly larger, but statistically insignificant margin. So there's no case to be made, apparently, that she is the weaker candidate for November. I think there's a lot of factors that say she's stronger, but the poll says about equal.

by anastasia p on Sun May 02, 2010 at 10:00:19 PM PDT

•  I wasn't talking about the general. Polls (0+ / 0-)

do matter, when they are so far apart with little time left. It always strikes me as a bit desperate when the losing candidate's supporters inevitably declare that "polls don't matter" and no matter how bad they are that "we're gonna win this thing". We have to make choices in election years, we all can't support everyone, and having a realistic chance to win in the primary is critically important to me.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sun May 02, 2010 at 10:13:03 PM PDT

•  No one is saying "We're going to win this thing" (2+ / 0-)
          LordMike, prdrums77

Even Fisher isn't saying that. I'm not saying polls don't matter but in a sense, they don't — you shouldn't base your decisions on them. Polling this race is like polling fog.

by anastasia p on Sun May 02, 2010 at 10:14:25 PM PDT