View Diary: Ruthless (206 comments)

•  NOM (22+ / 0-)

making the world safe for men who can yell, "Honey I'm home." to their stay at home wives, before they say, "Where's my dinner, b****" if it isn't ready yet.

OK over the top, but, leaving the sexism aside for the moment, as a serious practical question about their program, do these folks have a plan for providing the living wage jobs that will allow a modern household to live without two wage-earners? In PDX about ten years ago, average households were paying over 50% of their income for housing--not much slack there. Have a health problem or have one of the two earners lose a job and your family can be on the street.

Their dream is based on a short period in American history, the 1950's and 1960's when we were experiencing the greatest boom in our history based upon our world domination, and extravagant use, of cheap resources. In the depression poor married women worked in record numbers. In the 19th century women on farms were worked to death or died giving birth, such that many men outlived their wives and had to get new ones to operate their farms. Those 19th century farms were two worker households. The only difference is that the women didn't get paid.

Now that wage slavery is the norm, everyone has to work. It is not a "social" choice. It's a survival choice. These folks are dreaming for the paradise that never was.

Yes we did, yes we will. President Obama

by marketgeek on Sun May 09, 2010 at 05:20:47 PM PDT

•  more likely (1+ / 0-)
      moosely2006

'bring me a beer, bitch'. Which I've heard said to someone else.

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Sun May 09, 2010 at 05:27:38 PM PDT

•  Even the 1960s had their issues (10+ / 0-)

My mom returned to the workforce in 1965, when I entered 1st grade, to help supplement the salary of my grocery clerk father in light of the fact of four kids who'd all eventually be heading to college (my oldest sister was just a year away), and she did it with the full support and encouragement of my father. That job became even more crucial when he died of a heart attack in 1970, leaving her with 2 kids at home under the age of 18 -- not only did that job help us keep a roof over our heads and food on the table, it also provided a support network of co-workers to help her through the darkest hours.

Normal is a setting on a washing machine. -- escapee

by Cali Scribe on Sun May 09, 2010 at 05:38:34 PM PDT

•  Sorry about your family's troubles and {{CS}} (2+ / 0-)
        Ahianne, Left in NY

That experience is precisely why this theocratic idea doesn't work. If you don't want to educate your children, or pay for healthcare emergencies or lose your house because of a slump in the national economy, you probably can't afford this idea.

This is not a helpful idea for working people, as you so well illustrate, it's a fantasy.

Yes we did, yes we will. President Obama

by marketgeek on Sun May 09, 2010 at 06:09:15 PM PDT

•  As I said in a past post, (3+ / 0-)
          marketgeek, Eddie L, Left in NY

I have no trouble with women (or men) making the choice to stay home with the kids -- it might take a bit of sacrifice, but in certain situations it might be a necessity especially for parents of special needs children where the costs of specialized childcare might outweigh the extra money made by both spouses working. But just as in childbearing in the first place, it should be a CHOICE, not forced upon one partner (the woman) by some autocratic decision from "on high".

I sometimes wonder if I would have had a better relationship with my mom if my dad had been around to run interference, especially in my teen years; I was 11 when he died and very much a "daddy's girl". He probably would have kept me from making some of my more catastrophic decisions, at least, and maybe I would have ended up studying what I wanted to study instead of going into business admin to make my mom happy.

Normal is a setting on a washing machine. -- escapee

by Cali Scribe on Sun May 09, 2010 at 06:19:08 PM PDT

•  You are right, it's the element of choice (1+ / 0-)
            bablhous

and pretty much, no-one has that anymore because of the fact that wages have not tracked productivity over the last 30 years. We produced more but wages were essentially flat in constant dollars.

I am sorry to hear about your regrets and sense of loss about your dad. My brother died when I was eight and it affected me profoundly, but I still had my parents. One thing I learned though is that I had to learn forgive myself because my brother was no longer around to say that all of the fights and arguments were ok. Some people do that with religion, others by reaching out. After my brother died my mom was very abusive and it wasn't until just a few years ago that we could both talk about how traumatized we both were. I forgave her, she forgave me (I was no prize at the time), and somehow we have achieved a kind of peace. We were all so hurt that it took years to settle. I hope you still have some time for gaining back some of what was lost as I did. Even though fifty years later, it has made my life happier.

Best wishes, marketgeek

Yes we did, yes we will. President Obama

by marketgeek on Sun May 09, 2010 at 06:34:24 PM PDT

•  No, it goes back further than that. (3+ / 0-)
      bablhous, marketgeek, Left in NY

It harkens back at least to the turn of the last century.  This was when many people who had made it to the middle and upper classes wanted to show off their status by the fact that their women didn't have to work, like the women of the lower classes, rural or urban.  The notion never really died, and after WWII, we saw a larger scale comeback of it amongst the wider population.