View Diary: Wrecking Arizona for a law that doesn't solve the problem (206 comments)

•  New York has a drug problem (1+ / 0-)
    geomoo

as do many states.  The suggestion that tackling drug trafficking lies in racial profiling of immigrants is ludicrous.  I'd actually be interested in reading real studies pertaining to the rates of drug usage amongst new immigrants versus that of the native born.  I think the results would be illuminating.

climate.gov---POTUS' New Science-Based Climate Change Agency

by GN1927 on Mon May 10, 2010 at 11:40:24 AM PDT

•  And, btw, violence along the border is not up. (2+ / 0-)
      GN1927, Cali Techie

The statistics are quite clear on that.  Drug violence in Mexico is not spilling over into Arizona.  All they have is the one rancher, who died at the hands of a white person.

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 11:46:51 AM PDT

•  What's evidence on the rancher? (2+ / 0-)
        buddabelly, 3CPO

I just tried to google it, but I couldn't find anything that says we know who killed him.

•  I don't really know anything, (0+ / 0-)

just a couple of reports of reports.  And in that, all I've seen is what this diary reports--they believe it was drug related and the murderer was white.  I'm no reference for that.

I'm basing what I'm saying on a FP article on dkos, I'm pretty sure posted by Kos, maybe two weeks ago?  I'll go look.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 12:15:08 PM PDT

•  Here you go (2+ / 0-)
          emeraldmaiden, 3CPO

FP story.

Kos's link to a story about Krentz, the murdered man.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 12:18:22 PM PDT

•  you do realize about 50% of our region is (1+ / 0-)
            mariachi mama

hispanic right? Nowhere does it say anything about a white killer.

No one at this time knows who killed Krentz. All that's really known is he turned in a load of pot he found on his property and was shot the next day.

•  Then this story is incorrect, because kos claims (1+ / 0-)
              KevinNYC

Note -- the rancher Krentz was shot by a white guy.

I don't know the basis of this claim.

What does the demographics or your region have to do with my comment?

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 01:55:13 PM PDT

•  because if the killer is from the state, it's (1+ / 0-)
                mariachi mama

just as likely they're brown as white.

Nowhere that I've seen has even a name been released let alone if the shooter was white black brown or purple. Unless Kos has something else not published his statement that it was a "white guy" is pure bullshit.

I live 35 miles from the border, I live this daily.

•  I would certainly never guess the identity (0+ / 0-)

of a killer on the basis of demographics.  I don't know anyone who would be so idiotic.  As to Kos's claim, I would take it up with him before declaring "pure bullshit."  I doubt he pulled it out of his ass.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 02:04:13 PM PDT

•  I didn't, you seem to have made that jump (0+ / 0-)

I said no one knows.....

•  What's the stick up your ass? (0+ / 0-)

I never said you did.  You accused me of doing so.  I made plain I didn't.  Undeterred, you repeat yourself.  Here I am writing a third response to this happy horseshit.

I've developed a mnemonic device for remembering your name, so I'll know to avoid interactions in the future--he's nothing like the Buddha.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 04:14:22 PM PDT

•  Jesus, I'm still spinning around trying to see (0+ / 0-)

where the hell you are coming from.  Explain this, would you?
                      You:

Me:

You:

I didn't, you seem to have made that jump (0+ / 0-)

I said no one knows.....

WTF?  One comment you say "utter bullshit."  When I say, completely neutrally btw, that I would wait and see what kos' basis is before declaring "utter bullshit," you say you didn't.  You know the words are right there to look up, right?  That it is clear that you called it utter bullshit, right?  Then when I say I would like to know more, you fucking turn the tables back around again and say I'm claiming certainty and you're saying "You don't know."

I'm telling you, that's one of the most fucked up interactions I've ever had on this site, and that's saying something.  Or you drunk or stoned?  Just pissed off?  What. the. fuck?????

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 04:34:17 PM PDT

•  And all this after I've said plainly (0+ / 0-)

I don't really know anything. just a couple of reports of reports.

Yeah, thin gruel.  That's exactly what I said.  I don't really know anything.  Jesus.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 04:37:23 PM PDT

•  Also you are the one who cited kos when asked (0+ / 0-)

for evidence. Thin gruel indeed as now you say

I don't know the basis of this claim

•  If you doubt the veracity of this diary, (0+ / 0-)

take it up with the diarist.  I don't know why you're picking on me.  I read it from what I consider a generally reliable source.  If you have other information, I'm happy to hear it and glad to be correctly informed.  I don't have a horse in this race.  In fact, I don't give a shit what color the murderer was.  Psychopaths come in all colors.  It has no bearing on the issue of bigotry, as far as I'm concerned.

Really, I have no idea why the fuck you picked me out for this bullshit.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 04:09:54 PM PDT

•  There is some suggestion (2+ / 0-)
                    buddabelly, geomoo

that the police were investigating an American as the suspect in the killing, but that doesn-t mean the killer was white. Or brown, either.

•  And speaking of pure bullshit (0+ / 0-)

perhaps you can confirm that Muslims have been scattering their sacred book about the desert willy-nilly.  Maybe you've come across a few left behind by brown Muslim Mexican terrorists.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 04:11:22 PM PDT

•  Dude, I'm still walking around upset. (0+ / 0-)

Explain yourself.  I said I didn't know anything.  I offered what I had heard and where I heard it, all in the spirit of "for what it's worth," which spirit was plainly stated.  When you challenged that, my response was simply that if what you say is correct, then kos is wrong.

I want an explanation.

by geomoo on Mon May 10, 2010 at 05:05:06 PM PDT

•  KOS's info is outdated. Paper gave a correction. (3+ / 0-)
            buddabelly, mariachi mama, geomoo

Editor's note

Earlier versions of this news story referred to the possible suspect in the Krentz killing investigation as American. The story — as originally reported — said the suspect is believed to be in the United States. It was changed to 'American' in the editing process. To be clear, the suspect is believed to be in the US. The suspect's nationality is unknown.

The earlier story you link to has more qualifiers.  Today's post forgets about those and supposition hardens into fact.

•  Also, last I cked American /= "white guy" (1+ / 0-)
              mariachi mama
              •  Yeah, I don't think Kos looked this up (2+ / 0-)
                buddabelly, geomoo

before he wrote today's post.  I think he was going off the top of his head.

Here's what I think we know.  The sheriff says two things

1.  they are focusing on someone in the United States.
                1.  the night of the killing they followed a single trail of footprints to the Mexican border.

Putting this two together, either the killer entered Mexico and then came back and is now believed to be in the United States or they are focusing on more than one person. For example, the smuggler is in the US and hired/ordered someone else to kill.  The actual trigger puller then walked to Mexico.

•  That's unsurprising n/t (0+ / 0-)

climate.gov---POTUS' New Science-Based Climate Change Agency