View Diary: Lewis Black: "Glenn Beck has Nazi Tourette's" (282 comments)

•  Glen Beck is a waste of skin... (10+ / 0-)

Just sayin.

I was watching the Ed Show and my wife overheard Michael Savage "commenting but not commenting" on Kagan's looks.

My wife overheard and say "My Mom loves Savage", but how can she tolerate such hateful speech?

Ah - yes - my MIL is a racist and winger.

Not all conservatives are paranoid, but all paranoids are conservative

by DrWolfy on Thu May 13, 2010 at 09:23:56 AM PDT

•  Sigh... (12+ / 0-)

My MiL is pretty messed up as well. What's worse is she grew up in Nazi occupied Holland as a child. She saw firsthand how brutal and savage that way of thinking and acting becomes. She lives in CA now and she wants to "get rid of those dirty Mexicans". My wife and I keep hoping we'll be able to get thru to her, make her see just how wrong Beck and his ilk are. Her rebuttal is always, "We're not talking about killing them". She doesn't see the progression of bad to worse. She just rationalizes it away.

Wal*Mart isn't the root of all evil but you can buy the plastic, cadmium-tainted, Chinese knock-off of it there for $4.27

by ontheleftcoast on Thu May 13, 2010 at 09:39:46 AM PDT

•  Yep.... (8+ / 0-)

I have noticed (at least with some hope), that this is a generational thing.

That Beck's audience as well as Bill-O's are the older generation.  The younger ones (my students and some others I speak to) don't hold the same vitriol for "different people" than the older generation.

Maybe by the time my son is an adult (10 years), there will be a lot fewer of those with such hate.

I'm not wishing for their death, I just hope that as they pass on, those behind them will be less hateful.

Not all conservatives are paranoid, but all paranoids are conservative

by DrWolfy on Thu May 13, 2010 at 09:54:54 AM PDT

•  My deceased MiL... (11+ / 0-)

...was rescued from Nazi Germany by the Kindertransport. However, she said the most scurrilous things about Black and Latino people, and did it both in private and in public. When one of her sons, who had been a celibate mama's boy for most of his life, finally found Ms. Right and settled down, she complained about him marrying "a Mexican" and would put down her new step-grandson, the child of her previous marriage (Ms. Right was widowed) because his father was of African descent. (Yoruba from Nigeria if my memory serves me right.)

The worst of all came at the wedding. Ms. Right's son was to be ringbearer. My BiL misplaced the ring he was to give to his new stepson. However, guess what MiL started screaming about...literally SCREAMING..."That Black boy...he took the ring...he's probably pawned it by now!" My nephew was of course crushed. My BiL was furious. And Ms. Right slinked off to the ladies' room and cried. I was there trying to comfort her.

The only way I can rationalize the kind of horror my MiL became before she died was that she was tormented by constant pain from advanced Arthritis, and frustrated by her loss of mobility from Multiple Sclerosis. And she did not get sufficient pain management...she was not only living in the US where doctors are more afraid of losing their DEA license than treat pain properly, but she was also on MediCal on top of Medicare because she had gone through financial reversals as well.

But yeah, this is a woman who fled Nazi Germany, the real Nazi Germany, with the sulfur stench of Adolph Hitler still in her nostrils. She lost close relatives to the concentration camps. She had close relatives who survived and had numbers on their arms. My late husband met the survivors when he and his family took a trip to Europe. They were living in  France and Switzerland, and meeting them was "an unforgettable experience."

The next OneCare Happy Hour will be TBA
        "How's that 'Drill baby drill-y' thing workin' out for ya?" -- me

by Pris from LA on Thu May 13, 2010 at 10:20:06 AM PDT

•  Perhaps not that uncommon? (11+ / 0-)

My grandmother's BIL's family expended great effort to get a relative out of Poland in the late 1930's. They were successful, and brought her to live with them in the DC area.

She hated it. It was too hot and humid, she couldn't pick up English, and she was afraid of the black people.

She went back.

To Poland.

In 1939.

The family tried to find her after the war but, not surprisingly, she disappeared into the camps and was never heard from again.

Part of me understands that she loved her home and perhaps didn't understand that her home was already gone, but I don't understand how one could be more afraid of the idea of black people than actual Nazis.

I'd say that hopey-changey thing is working quite well, wouldn't you?

by tethys on Thu May 13, 2010 at 11:21:36 AM PDT

•  Unknown (black people) always scary. (5+ / 0-)

She probably thought that she could survive the kinds of "known" behaviors that people had always done in her area (pogroms and such)--"how much worse could the Nazis be?"  Unfortunately, much worse.

I always distrust people who know so much about what God wants them to do to their fellows. --Susan B. Anthony

by ohiolibrarian on Thu May 13, 2010 at 11:52:16 AM PDT