View Diary: HUGE Prop. 8 case news - Rekers peripherally involved UPDATE (189 comments)

•  What is it you mean by (0+ / 0-)

"jumping the tip jar"?
    (Just wanna make sure we mean the same thing when we say it. If we do, I agree with you.)

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est.

by kestrel9000 on Wed May 19, 2010 at 12:03:02 PM PDT

•  Jumping the tip jar (1+ / 0-)
      Darmok

is posting a comment as a reply to the tip jar.

Some people reply to the tip jar in order to get their comment close to the top of the thread,even though they arrived late, and there are already maybe 10 or 20 threads below.

in order to avoid that, I think that people should avoid responding directly to the tip jar, or to a thread hanging off the tip jar. One exception - if you HR the tip jar you should give a reason why.

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go. I'm standing here outside the door.

by senilebiker on Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:02:18 PM PDT

•  No (1+ / 0-)
        Ray Radlein

Jumpin the tip jar either means or used to mean posting in a thread before the diarist has achance to post a tip jar.
        Kinda obsolete now.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est.

by kestrel9000 on Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:42:39 PM PDT

•  Etymology (1+ / 0-)
          kestrel9000

I wonder if that's where this whole thing comes from: Maybe newcomers kept hearing that "jumping the Tip Jar" was bad, but, since it was also now impossible, they had no examples of it to demonstrate the term, and, hence, no idea what it was; so they had to make something up, more or less, and what they made up was that "jumping the Tip Jar" must mean replying to the Tip Jar.

And so, all of a sudden, a common practice that had never, ever been frowned upon in the slightest by anyone during the first several years of the site's operation becomes, to them, forbidden. That would explain why the whole thing is so new, and so confusing to old-timers.

"I play a street-wise pimp" — Al Gore

by Ray Radlein on Wed May 19, 2010 at 02:06:34 PM PDT

•  PS Clever sig line (0+ / 0-)

But just because its in latin doesn't make it true!

"I know I'm unhappy. I know things ain't right. For instance last week, I got drunk every night!" Loudon Wainwright III

by senilebiker on Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:12:02 PM PDT

•  I know that. (0+ / 0-)

It's true all on its own regardless of what language it's in.
        Don't worry. Next time your country gets invaded we'll arm your citizens again...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est.

by kestrel9000 on Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:41:52 PM PDT

•  Oh, excuse me. (0+ / 0-)

Next time your country gets invaded we'll arm your citizens again...

My bad.

Your country doesn't have citizens.
        It has SUBJECTS.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est.

by kestrel9000 on Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:44:43 PM PDT