View Diary: Morning Feature: Leaders and Stories, Part I - Planning vs. Prophecy (172 comments)

•  Carpe Diem (13+ / 0-)

Leadership is about seizing moments and opportunities as nothing goes as planned. It is less about planning than objectives.

We learned more about the true agenda of Bush when we watched what he did in the face of 9/11. A terrorist attack soon became justification for a war to occupy a nation with oil reserves, domestic surveillance, torture, and the erosion of human rights.

Unfortunately, we are also learning how invested the Obama administration is in pursuing dirty energy in the face of the BP disaster in the Gulf at a time we need rapid transition to clean energy.

I love this post about Montgomery and the questions you raise about leadership. Always a lovely to way to start the day. Caffeine for the mind.

Good morning!

Please help the people of Haiti

by DWG on Thu May 20, 2010 at 04:48:03 AM PDT

•  DWG, I always had a sneaking suspicion (14+ / 0-)

that Obama's willingness to allow offshore oil exploration (at the expense of the oil companies)  was a switcheroo in the making.

Because of course, the oil companies which have been trying to buy leases, now have to prove the is oil there (at their own expense) before they have a hope of obtaining a lease.

Then before they start drilling, environmental impact studies will come up.  And right now they're not going to look too good.

We've been hearing a constant drumbeat of "drill, baby, drill" from oil money.  As if that will solve our problems.  I think there are going to be many opportunities, especially after the BP thing, to shut down the chant and simply say, "Nope, it won't work, won't solve the energy crisis, and oh, by the way, if you drill you need to make payments into a fund for green energy from your profits."

As concerned as Obama has been about the environment, I honestly think this was a poker move: Okay, you say it's there, now go all-in and let us see your cards.

I hope.  I think Obama is far more wily than the Coyote ever was.

"No man is my enemy, my own hands imprison me, love rescue me." -- Love Rescue Me/U2

by winterbanyan on Thu May 20, 2010 at 05:23:41 AM PDT

•  I've had similar thoughts, winter (11+ / 0-)

Many progressives were gob-smacked at the Obama admin decision to expand off-shore oil leasing opportunities. Seemed like a bone-headed backwards move, and that's putting it kindly.

But as you say, it calls the bluff of the Drill Baby Drill crowd. Now, instead of yelling about arbitrary government restrictions, they have to let the discussion move on to the actual costs (very high) and benefits (not that great) of off-shore drilling. More Americans will come to understand the main point: off-shore drilling, even if maxed to the max, does not solve our energy problems. Until a solid and durable majority understands that, we will not be able to make progress on the thing that will really kill us if we don't address it, which is developing a national energy strategy and capability that will actually work.

•  And to top off this (8+ / 0-)

what-I-think(hope)-was-a-smart-move from the administration, if you don't pay for the exploration to find the oil, you don't get to bid on the leases.  Period.

That means upfront money from oil companies with no guaranteed return.  Might make them a bit more cautious, one hopes.

And, as you say, the actual cost vs benefits if made public, might get it through the public's head that oil is not the way to go.

Then maybe we can get down to progressing on a national energy strategy without the puppets yelling "drill, baby, drill."

Wouldn't that be nice.

Hugggs and good morning.

by winterbanyan on Thu May 20, 2010 at 09:14:53 AM PDT

•  As an incrementalist, right now I would settle (5+ / 0-)

for them pausing for a few seconds as images of the animal carcasses washing up on Gulf coast beaches covered in oil flash in their brains before they say: "drill, baby, drill."

I can see why people are saying that the oilmaggedon is a lefty plot...it serves to underline,  bold and CAPITALIZE the terrible cost of drilling.

For the longer term, we need to stop "needing" the oil...then we can stop drilling for it.

Much of life is knowing what to Google

by JanF on Thu May 20, 2010 at 09:45:50 AM PDT

•  Yes, and also (6+ / 0-)

The further point is that even if we drill every off-shore drop, and supposing there is no environmental cost whatsoever (ha!)... there isn't enough oil to be gotten that way to make a material difference in our overall energy situation.

Apologies for the over-energetic italics. Something in the coffee this morning :)

•  Seizing opportunity is important, yes. (9+ / 0-)

Good leaders adapt to changing circumstances, both threats and opportunities. Part of being able to do that is having enough extra bits - resources, time, etc. - that you can commit to forestalling a threat or seizing an opportunity. While I agree that we must transition to clean energy sources and that the BP spill offers an opportunity, I don't think we have enough extra bits to make that transition as quickly as I'd like. Monty could improvise in Normandy and reach the borders of Holland and Germany ahead of schedule, but he could not have reached Berlin in 1944....

Good morning! ::hugggggs::

•  BPI Nutshell Award™ for this (10+ / 0-)

and a Noddie for this:

Always a lovely to way to start the day. Caffeine for the mind.

Much of life is knowing what to Google

by JanF on Thu May 20, 2010 at 05:31:08 AM PDT

•  'No battle plan ever survives first contact with (4+ / 0-)
      JanF, NCrissieB, addisnana, KVoimakas

the enemy.'. I suspect that it's a standard military axiom, but it's here via Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid