View Diary: "Barack Obama is taking everybody away" says little girl to first lady (98 comments)

•  It's An Apples An Oranges Comparison (2+ / 0-)
    burrow owl, commonmass

Were European settlers in North America in the 16th and 17th Centuries "Illegal Aliens"?

You're talking about a time before there was any notion of national soverignty, before there even was a United States, more importantly before there were any federal or state taxes, and before the creation of what is the modern welfare state that the U.S. has become. This was a time when it was 'every man/woman for themselves', and if someone told you as a person in the U.S. even up to the early twentieth century that you would have to pay for the education of a child who's parents just walked across the southern border you would either laugh ... or shoot them.

<div style="font-size:10px;text-align:center;background-color:#ffd;color:#f33">If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow - G. Bush

by superscalar on Thu May 20, 2010 at 04:40:45 PM PDT

•  I respectfully disagree. (5+ / 0-)

I think that there were some very, very strong sentiments of sovereinty when it came to the Native American nations.

Have you read Howard Zinn's "The People's History of the United States"?

And, by the way, very few people "just walk" across our southern border.

I congratulate Indiemcemopants on his Netroots Nation scholarship!

by commonmass on Thu May 20, 2010 at 04:59:01 PM PDT

•  I Disagree (2+ / 0-)
        burrow owl, commonmass

And, by the way, very few people "just walk" across our southern border

I think a whole lot of people 'just walk across the southern border'. It is estimated that between sixty and seventy percent of all illegal immigrants are from Mexico, and 76% (82%) are from a combination of Mexico, Central America, and South America.

It is also estimated that about 40% of all illegal immigrants enter the country legally and overstayed their visas. That leaves about 60% that did not enter the country legally.

I think that leaves plenty of room for a lot of people 'just walking across the border' (with a coyote leading them of course).

by superscalar on Thu May 20, 2010 at 05:05:59 PM PDT

•  Correction (1+ / 0-)
          commonmass

It is estimated that between sixty and seventy percent

Pew Hispanic Center says 56% (57%), DHS says sixty percent.

by superscalar on Thu May 20, 2010 at 05:08:38 PM PDT

•  What I disagree with (2+ / 0-)
          prettygirlxoxoxo, thethinveil

is the statement that they "just walk over the border". Many of them endure tremendous hardship is so doing. It's not like "just walking to Canada over the Friendship Bridge" after showing your passport in Niagra Falls.

Overstaying one's visa is one thing, and it happens frequently. That's one thing. But my understanding is that "just walking across" or its attempt, often results in the loss of life on the part of those who attempt it and is highly arduous and dangerous.

Clearly, this issue deeply devides the progressive community. As what I call a 2.5 generation American (one of my grandparents was born in Europe, and my mother's father was) who's paternal grandmother's entire remaining family line perished in Central Europe during the last world war (for the high crime of being Ruthenians and Slovaks in the wrong place at the wrong time), I have a natural affinity towards those who seek a better life here. No one who leaves their motherland behind, for whatever reason, and comes here either legally or not, will ever be my enemy. They are my kin, they are my kindred spirit.

The initiative, even when technically illegal, to take refuge in this country, I applaud it.

Our policies must meet reality.

I congratulate Indiemcemopants on his Netroots Nation scholarship!

by commonmass on Thu May 20, 2010 at 05:23:58 PM PDT

•  My Next Door Neighbor (1+ / 0-)
            commonmass

Is an illegal immigrant, as I am pretty sure are many of my neighbors. The two of us (along with Adnon, the Syrian father of one of my neighbors on the other side of me who doesn't speak a word of english and is just hilarious) spent an hour or so today getting the landlord's lawnmower running so I can try and get a lawn growing in the patches of dirt we have as shared yard right now. Jose has two great kids who I hear outside playing right now. Jose is not my enemy, he's my friend, but I separate my views on U.S. immigration policy and illegal immigration from my friendship with him.

by superscalar on Thu May 20, 2010 at 05:34:00 PM PDT

•  You have yet to explain (0+ / 0-)

why, besides current law, you have a problem with "illegal immigration". I just don't see it. Let me clarify, I think people should come legally. I think that the problem would be quickly solved if more people were allowed to.

I congratulate Indiemcemopants on his Netroots Nation scholarship!

by commonmass on Thu May 20, 2010 at 05:40:06 PM PDT