View Diary: ID-01: Worst candidate ever? In Idaho? (81 comments)

•  a "dem" endorsed by the tea party. (0+ / 0-)

that's how awful minnick is.

If God didn't want me to believe Creationists are stupid, why did s/he create Sarah Palin?

by whataretheysmoking on Tue May 25, 2010 at 03:38:51 PM PDT

•  He hasn't been that bad (2+ / 0-)
        sulthernao, brentbent

he's relatively quiet, and his vote isn't really needed that often, so he has free license to vote against most things he doesn't think voters back in his home district would support.

"For fools rush in where angels fear to tread". -Alexnader Pope

by ArkDem14 on Tue May 25, 2010 at 03:49:36 PM PDT

•  sorry, he needs to run as a republican then. (1+ / 0-)
          thethinveil

/nt

by whataretheysmoking on Tue May 25, 2010 at 03:50:47 PM PDT

•  I'd rather have him as a Democrat (5+ / 0-)

and at the same time not rely on his vote, but more so use him to build my party up in Idaho to pave the wave for better Democrats in the future. A vote for Nancy Pelosi and an occasional vote for certain bits of legislation, all I care about.

Of course he's going to be especially conservative this year. It's a rough year and it's his first reelection. He's not entrenched enough to take too many risks yet.

"For fools rush in where angels fear to tread". -Alexnader Pope

by ArkDem14 on Tue May 25, 2010 at 03:55:23 PM PDT

•  He's helped with some decent public lands (4+ / 0-)

legislation. That's one thing you wouldn't get from a republican, and may be the one thing that qualifies him as a democrat. I'll take it in a state like Idaho, where republicans have teed off on public lands since Cecil Andrus left office.

"I think the earth is a living being. I keep waiting for it to rear up and scrape us all off its back." - Tom Waits

by frankzappatista on Tue May 25, 2010 at 04:15:44 PM PDT

•  Disagree there a bit... (2+ / 0-)
              frankzappatista, brentbent

Both Crapo and Simpson have been working on, believe it or not, wilderness issues--and doing it for years when their own fellow GOP members were shooting them down.

The Owyhee Wilderness bill got passed and the White Cloud wilderness bill is looking better than it has for a long time.

'Needs must when the devil drives.' (Shakespeare -- All's Well That Ends Well)

by wheeldog on Tue May 25, 2010 at 04:43:13 PM PDT

•  Thanks for adding that (0+ / 0-)

I guess things have changed a bit since I moved to Texas. And now that you mention it I do recall Crapo being reasonable on these issues. Now that the Symms-Craig-Chenoweth juggernaut is behind us perhaps they're actually listening to hikers-hunters-fishermen-outfitters instead of the developers and Big Timber.

by frankzappatista on Tue May 25, 2010 at 05:27:59 PM PDT

•  Didn't DailyKos Cheer? (5+ / 0-)

I seem to remember folks got pretty excited when a Democrat.. any Democrat got elected in Idaho. Of course, it is Idaho. Real Democrats are not going to get a lot of support up there.

I had an aunt that got elected to the Idaho legislature. She would be mild next to these guys.

I am confused. No, wait! Maybe I'm not!

by Tuba Les on Tue May 25, 2010 at 03:54:57 PM PDT

•  Yes, liberal purity of essence is going to win (2+ / 0-)
        ipsos, skohayes

big in my state. This is one of the reddest red states and the fact we took ID-1 back from the GOP was one of the most unexpected victories for the Democrats from that election cycle. We haven't sent a Democrat to DC since Frank Church in the 70's. So yes, I am proud a majorly red state was capable of electing a Democrat even if he doesn't always vote the way I'd like, and, that is often, because I consider myself a socialist.

Krusty the Klown Brand Irate Emoticons (tm) So You Can Express the Hate You Didn't Know You Had!

by brentbent on Tue May 25, 2010 at 04:40:33 PM PDT

•  Larry La Rocco (1+ / 0-)
          brentbent

La Rocco represented ID-01 for a couple of terms in the early 1990s. Elected 1990 and '92, defeated in the '94 washout. He was a pretty good candidate for Senator last time but obviously didn't win.

I'm not a Limousine Liberal; I am a Prius Progressive