View Diary: BP LiveBlog - Diary 11 (303 comments)

•  how come? (10+ / 0-)

I wasn't expecting any new revelations... I would hope to God that he wouldn't be learning anything new just because he was here in person.

I think it was mostly to assure people who need to see the POTUS at the locale to believe that "stuff is happening".

Lisa

All Kossacks are my allies.

by Boston to Salem on Fri May 28, 2010 at 12:13:08 PM PDT

•  Oh I dunno. (10+ / 0-)

I know there's nothing he really could say.

I'm just upset that he didn't visit the marsh. He should have. And should have talked to coast guard and BP personnel on the ground there.

Every time you purchase food you are casting a vote. Eat wisely.

by alkalinesky on Fri May 28, 2010 at 12:14:21 PM PDT

•  We don't know who he spoke to (9+ / 0-)

And he announced that they were trippling the # of people protecting the shores.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum."

by mark louis on Fri May 28, 2010 at 12:15:20 PM PDT

•  We do know (3+ / 0-)
          blueoasis, Lady Libertine, yawnimawke

he didn't go to the marsh.

Every time you purchase food you are casting a vote. Eat wisely.

by alkalinesky on Fri May 28, 2010 at 12:17:31 PM PDT

•  True (3+ / 0-)
            itskevin, alkalinesky, MKSinSA

Which is why I didn't dispute that, although it's not much of an issue for me.

by mark louis on Fri May 28, 2010 at 12:21:10 PM PDT

•  CNN about those 'nickle sized mini tarballs' (3+ / 0-)
            alkalinesky, pdx kirk, Onomastic

pullease. lame.

No oil could be seen in the water during Obama's helicopter ride from New Orleans, over Louisiana bayous, to Port Fourchon down the coast from Grand Isle.

That changed when he arrived at Fourchon Beach, however.

A shirt-sleeved Obama walked to the water's edge, stooping as Adm. Thad Allen of the Coast Guard explained what he was seeing.

The beach, sealed off with crime-scene-style yellow tape, is one of the few sandy stretches on Louisiana's coast, where most is marshland. Obama called reporters traveling with him to the water's edge and picked up a few pebble-sized tar balls. No other oil was visible.

"These are the tarballs that they're talking about," he said. "You can actually send out teams to pick up as they wash on shore.

He added, "Obviously the concern is that, until we actually stop the flow, we've got problems."

After about 15 minutes at the beach, the president headed to Grand Isle for a formal briefing from Allen, who is overseeing the spill response for the federal government. At intervals along the way were handwritten wooden signs stuck in the sand with "BEACH CLOSED" in black block letters. One woman held up a sign saying "Clean Up the Gulf" while two people played guitar and sang.

Obama was joined by the governors of Louisiana, Florida and Alabama. He was spending a total of about three hours in the region.AP

Where pics of that crime scene tape? etc.

One good thing I heard, and again, they need to hype it more I think, was about getting med units in all coastal areas affected to ensure health of workers and residents.

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does all the work." ~Mark Twain

by Lady Libertine on Fri May 28, 2010 at 12:35:27 PM PDT

•  maybe he did. (5+ / 0-)

I mean - talked to the Guard and BP personnel. Re: the marsh, I agree that would have been good, although perhaps he had to choose btwn visiting the marsh or speaking with people and chose the people. You know that if he DID go to the marsh, some would be complaining about him "blowing off residents" ;)

If I were him, I would have asked for a flyover of all the impacted areas, including the marsh areas. I hope he's learned that BP absolutely cannot be trusted.

Lisa

All Kossacks are my allies.

by Boston to Salem on Fri May 28, 2010 at 12:17:31 PM PDT