View Diary: BP's Disaster - Turtle Hurdles Edition - ROV #37 (328 comments)

•  I'm reminded of Oppenheiner's lament: (12+ / 0-)

Oppenheimer speaking in a 1965 television broadcast about the moments following the Trinity test: "We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

I fear we've turned a very dangerous and deadly corner and nobody knows the end of it.

"The first step towards madness is to think oneself wise." ~Fernando de Rojas

by Annalize5 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 08:35:26 AM PDT

•  'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' (4+ / 0-)

Make that:

Now I, BP, am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Of course we too are part of it for our use of oil and not demanding enough safeguards. Still, we thought our government was doing its job but in that regard it was not.

you (Repubs) lie down with "Nazi"-chanters, you get up with a responsibility for what they might do. -David Corn

by Gorette on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 08:55:48 AM PDT

•  Reagan and his marriage to GE. (6+ / 0-)

Bush and Cheney with their marriage to Haliburton, etal.

And the American people who voted them into office.

Stepping up to life eliminates the capacity for bullshit. - Robinswing

by Onomastic on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 09:03:31 AM PDT

•  Democrats Still Back Defining Reagan Policies (2+ / 0-)
          godislove, Onomastic

On economy, trade, media, trusts, taxation.

by Gooserock on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 09:30:14 AM PDT

•  Goose, I'm too tired and heartsore to even (2+ / 0-)
            godislove, Maverick80229

begin to deal with Dem bashing right now.

You may be absolutely correct.

You may be only partially correct.

I don't see Sanders, yes, I know he's an Independent, Franken or others as Reagan doctrine embracing Dems.

This nation as a whole has not begun to deconstruct the myth around St. fucking Ronnie.

This nation as a whole has shown a huge resistence to acknowledging mistakes made.

Until we get past blanket statements, finger pointing and dualistic thinking, I don't know how we can.

And now I'm going to try to clean house and find a decent frame of mind before the grandtoddler arrives.

Stepping up to life eliminates the capacity for bullshit. - Robinswing

by Onomastic on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 09:42:02 AM PDT

•  I have to wonder if the BP guys... (2+ / 0-)
        godislove, Onomastic

are even capable of self reflection.

"The first step towards madness is to think oneself wise." ~Fernando de Rojas