View Diary: The people speak: 100% Dean endorsements at DNC/CDC meeting (203 comments)

•  We need YOU! (3.50)
    ... to write speeches like this for Democratic candidates of courage who see the need to reform and revolt.

A thought ... how about a guerrilla group dedicated to writing speaches for Democratic pols and candidates ... for no monetary fee and anonymously (or semi-anonymously if they wish to later get hired by a candidate.) Say, a website where any Democratic candidate must subscribe with an identifiable e-mail address just to look at the speeches and "bid" on them. "Bids" not being money bids but "exposure" bids, the wider the audience delivered to, the more likely to win the bid.

Sort of like term papers bought online but these are guaranteed to be original one-of-a-kind speeches.

Help me I'm desperate here! I want things to change ... by any means necessary!

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case." - Ken Kesey

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 06:24:29 PM PST

•  I appreciate that. Thank you. (none)
      Encouragement is all the fuel I really need. Thank you for the kind words.
    •  You're talking about a wiki (none)
      Dumb name, great idea. Basically it's a collaborative website, where anyone can write and edit the posts. A couple of prominent examples are Wikipedia and our own dKosPedia.

Let me know when and where.

I've figured out how to know what the Republicans are up to. Just listen to what they accuse the Democrats of doing. -- Me

by Our Man In Redmond on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 11:10:13 PM PST

•  Good idea. (none)
        But I don't want freepers snagging the best stuff. I mean, just look at the pure cadence of Kyle B's brilliant riff. One could easily substitute right-wing garbage to lesser, if not also lethal, effect.

That's why it has to be a limited registration site.  Say 2 kinds of registered users:

• the first kind allowed to post only but not view any of the other posters' speeches (so as not to freep) These could be anonymous registrants or anonymously-"handled" registants like we are at dKos.
        • the second, must be from a recognizable campaign with the e-mail recognizably from the website of the candidate. These registrants could view all speeches, and potentially "bid" on them.

Hey, what can I say ... I'm a refugee from a dot-com mindset!

[But how to get basic funding?  ... do you think George Soros could be hit up for some pocket change? I'm talking a couple grand here ...   ;-)    ]

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 11:34:37 PM PST

•  Oh I agree completely (none)
          I just didn't want to bog my post down with a bunch of details about who gets to participate, or even read the darn thing. Especially since you already mentioned subscribing.

Surely someone could come up with the seed money for this. There has to be an activist who would fund a full-time webmaster and a staff position or two, and maybe a leftward-leaning ISP willing to provide a couple of servers and the bandwidth to make it all run.

This is just too good an idea to not implement. I wish I'd thought of it.

by Our Man In Redmond on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 11:44:59 PM PST

•  Hey if you help this along ... (none)
            I'll swear it was entirely your idea!

[That's the long-time SW product manager in me ... always give credit away. Makes the job easier in the long run.]

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 11:56:48 PM PST

•  Like the man said (4.00)
              It's amazing what people can accomplish as long as they don't care who gets the credit.

Personally I would be happy to just be lumped in with a much larger group collectively titled "The People Who Restored Sanity To America."

by Our Man In Redmond on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 08:28:54 AM PST

•  Problem is (none)
          The media would classify it as a form of "cheating." and nail any politician that uses an E-Speech.

Also it would be tough to keep surfers interested if they can't read the other speeches or even know which ones have been used.

He who lives in the present, has no knowledge of the past nor vision for the future.

by DeanDemocrat on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 02:20:52 AM PST

•  I really don't think we'd want surfers (none)
            This is for the "non-pro" speechwriter like Kyle B who has written something powerful and would like to see his/her words delivered. And the reward is you get to see which pols' organizations have "bid" on your speech, pick the "winner" and negotiate changes to the language.

And as for the media classifying this as a form of cheating ... well wouldn't that be the old pot and the kettle thing. I can't tell you how many one-of-a-kind "white papers" my old MarComm teams used to craft for specific tech journalists so that they could steal huge paragraphs verbatim and pass off the analyses as their own. I mean, after all, what is a press release? Just a way of allowing journalists to be a little lazy.

by Glinda on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 07:26:02 AM PST

•  Check out my sig (4.00)
              for my opinions on the Republicans classifying this as cheating.

In my opinion projects like this would be a counter to the conservative think-tank machine, where speeches gets written and policies get formulated and language gets crafted. I think of it in a way as an analogy to writers of free and open-source software. If we can't get software -- or in this case, politics -- that doesn't suck from the professional providers, we're just going to have to go out and create it ourselves.

by Our Man In Redmond on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 08:33:30 AM PST

•  Loved this comment! (none)
                I'll definitely check out your opinions.

Diaries or Comments or both?

by Glinda on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 11:31:51 AM PST