View Diary: RKBA - The duty of self defense (284 comments)

•  I Would Be Fully Behind That (11+ / 0-)

It is not as much that I want any government organization (state, local, federal) to know what guns you have. That is not really my point. I just would rather that any gun owner have a basic understanding of safety and be able to demonstrate that.

When I lived in DC, on Capital Hill, I lived in a area that wasn't that safe. I got mugged twice. Girlfriends car stolen. My place broken into.

Even though guns were illegal, many, many people had them. That guns were illegal in DC therefore law-abiding citizens wouldn't have any is one of the biggest jokes I've ever heard! I thought about getting a gun for protection and talked to people that knew something about them.

They gave me a lot of suggestions, but at the very top of the list was to learn how to use the darn thing.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

by webranding on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 06:29:20 AM PDT

•  I would like much more training. (9+ / 0-)

Especially something very comprehensive if you are going to carry concealed.

Don't believe what the politicians do, don't believe what they say, all they want to do is fuck you and get fat on their pay.

by oldpunk on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 06:32:09 AM PDT

•  Also - (2+ / 0-)
      oldpunk, Robobagpiper
      - - though this elderly vet was mentally & physically capable of operating a weapon safely, those of us w/ parents & grandparents growing older & dealing w/ dementia are already experiencing the difficulty of getting people to acknowledge their limitations when it comes to driving, etc.

Frankly, even a 20-y/old who needs thick corrective lenses probably shouldn't go hunting w/out his/her glasses.

I think permitting the owner (vs licensing the weapon) makes an awful lot of sense.

"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers quickly goes downhill." Robert A. Heinlein

by Timoteo on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 06:54:41 AM PDT

•  You mean (8+ / 0-)

you want me to have to put my name on a government list of gun owners?
        I'll pass on that, thanks.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est.

by kestrel9000 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 07:01:08 AM PDT

•  No - just a listing of - (1+ / 0-)
          oldpunk
          - people licensed to own a gun.

No guarantee that everyone on the list actively owns a gun, nor (as pointed out downthread) any indication of what type or how many guns you or others do or do not own.

It would indicate you had the basic training to operate a gun without placing youself or others at risk out of ignorance, or being legally blind, etc.

I'm not sure why such a list of people who've rec'd basic firearms training isn't touted as the "well organized militia" the Constitution outlines.  Hell, in the theoretical scenario of an invasion of the US by hostile forces, this would be the group of people local authorities would call and say "get your ass over here and defend our community!"

I know the greater fear is the gov't using such a list to lock up gun owners in some totalitarian move.  If "the list" is all persons trained to use firearms of any type, in my community of hunters, former military folks, people whose jobs currently include carrying a firearm, etc., etc. it would be a majority of the adult population.    Which I think kinda makes "the list" pretty useless for some future totalitarian initiative.

by Timoteo on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 07:12:39 AM PDT

•  no, kestrel9000: not owners. Qualified potential (0+ / 0-)

users.

Kinda like buying your annual duck stamp.

Texas is NO Bush League! LBJ, Lady Bird, Sully Sullenberger, Ike, Molly Ivins, Barbara Jordan, Ann Richards, Drew Brees -7.50,-5.59

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 10:44:03 AM PDT

•  Um, to be able to call up your militia, you gotta (2+ / 0-)
            buddabelly, oldpunk

know who to call. That means the evil database with contact information in case of need. I remember it as 'well regulated' not well-organized, militia.

Anyone here have thoughts about the propriety of selling weapons to persons with current protection orders for violence out against them?

•  As far as I know... (3+ / 0-)
              rockhound, oldpunk, KVoimakas

...most states already prohibit this.

I agree in principal, but knowing people who have had protection orders sworn against them by people just trying to cause trouble for them means that it isn't always a good thing in a real-world setting.

Luckily, such nuisance PO's rarely last even a cursory view by a judge, so it's a short-lived problem, in most cases.

As to your first point, though, we've discussed the meaning of "well regulated" in several other diaries now -- in no way would it require having a phone-book of militia members, in the definition as of the time the Constitution was written.

•  immoral unethical and illegal to boot if you (5+ / 0-)

know or have reason to know there's a restraining order.

Even misdemeanor DV pulls the right to keep and bear.

IMO there should be a mechanism to restore those rights to those able to show rehabilitation but as it stands I'm more than fine with pulling the rights in that situation.

Again though I do think there should be some mechanism for rights restoration.....

•  Nope. (6+ / 0-)

Just put out the "call" over the public broadcasting system:
              Show up at the village square/town hall/city park nearest you, with what you have, and a supply of ammo, then "run watchya brung".

No particular "lists" required.

Anything more formal that that, you are probably talking about a government-supplied body, and that's a different ball game.

•  your name is not recorded when you purchase a.... (5+ / 0-)

federal duck stamp.  you go to the post office, now you can get them at retailers selling hunting licenses and buy it just like it was a postage stamp.

you don't have to provide proof of hunter education to buy a federal duck stamp.  you do if it is required by the state to buy a hunting license.

"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand." Harry S. Truman

by duckhunter on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 12:19:34 PM PDT

•  hmm. I guess I made an assumption that getting it (2+ / 0-)
              oldpunk, KVoimakas

everywhere is similar to the way I've seen 'em bought here in Texas: with the hunting license. Using plastic.
              Clerk called up "last year's records" and changed the renewal / expiration dates, right there on the comp screen.

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 12:31:50 PM PDT

•  that was for their texas hunting license and..... (6+ / 0-)

migratory bird permit which used to be an actual stamp but in most states is now just an endorsement on your license.  the federal stamp is an entirely different deal it is an actual stamp.  now you can purchase the federal stamps where you get your state hunting licenses but it used to be they were only sold at the post office.  the federal duck stamp is the only federal hunting permit requirement.  the feds can require the stamp for migratory birds but not for say deer because migratory birds are in interstate commerce.

by duckhunter on Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 01:23:39 PM PDT