View Diary: BP Disaster Liveblog - Admiral of the Sea Edition - ROV 42 (336 comments)

•  off 17 here (1+ / 0-)
    mrsgoo
    down in san jose way....

if you're ever down my way, let me know - we can do coffee or tea?

email is in profile.

NOTE: i will no longer engage in rude or disruptive exchanges. if you are waiting for me to respond to one of these, please don't hold your breath!

by edrie on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 09:07:10 PM PDT

•  You're down by Smithwoods! when we had a life we (0+ / 0-)

went camping there with the Modesto Elks Camper Club - I remember I drove straight from work (peoplesoft) - cool place! And we rode the train, that was very nice also. Unfortunately, I now consider going to Rio Vista for groceries as a get-away! Such is owning a recreational business! But when we retire - I'm planning on going lots of places. If you find yourself coming this way - I'll buy you the beverage of choice from my store.

"I have ferrets with fins" - African Cichlids. And 3 pooties too! Ren, Stimpy (15 yrs) and Rocky (3 yrs)

by mrsgoo on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 09:41:28 PM PDT

•  hmmmm, mebbe (1+ / 0-)
        mrsgoo
        da woozle and i will make an excursion up your way this summer... wit da top down on m'97 'stang!

haven't been up that way in a few years - was very pretty, as i remember!  i'll let ya know we're comin and take you up on that coffee!

by edrie on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 10:29:57 PM PDT

•  You got it sweetie! /nt (0+ / 0-)

by mrsgoo on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 10:31:06 PM PDT

•  is that your rv park? (0+ / 0-)

funny - i'm just starting to renovate an 87 toyota sunrader (21') to sell.  (NOOOOOOoooooo - don' WANNA!!! - but have too many wheels to drive!

lived in it for almost 8 years - called it my rolling dog house and portapotty!

by edrie on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 10:40:32 PM PDT

•  ACK! Let's just say we don't do rolling doghouses (0+ / 0-)

and portapotties. It was kinda like that when we got here and that was not sooo good. That whole deliverance thing.... naw.  Now we just do people that go camping for a little bit. Everything looks much nicer now.

by mrsgoo on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 10:50:04 PM PDT

•  actually, my sunrader is quite cute. (0+ / 0-)

that was my insider joke.  spent those years on the road working.  it was more comfortable for my dogs when driving than a car.  they loved it - each staked out their own spot and considered it THEIR rolling dog house - i just got to drive it!

here's a pic of what the "baby" looks like (not mine, but same style) - what i loved about it was that i could park it in a metered parking space in ca. wish i had one of those neat boxes on the back like the pic shows.

sunrader pic stock

by edrie on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 11:31:18 PM PDT

•  who'da thunk there was anywhere from $5k to 50k (0+ / 0-)

of jewelry and findings amid all the stuff inside!

perfect means of carrying jewelry - no one suspected!

the down side was dropping findings in the shag carpet.  i swear when i pulled the carpets, they were worth their weight in gold!  8^)

by edrie on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 11:33:55 PM PDT

•  oops! just noticed this one is (0+ / 0-)

still different than mine.  mine has mid bath and huge pic windows on all three sides of the back.

sigh... maybe i won't sell it.  i love that little bugger!

by edrie on Thu Jun 03, 2010 at 11:34:54 PM PDT

•  I would keep that.Got a call today from a gal - (0+ / 0-)

I need to find a place for my dad. He needs a showerhouse, bathroom and  a plug for electricity. He's got a utility truck. At this point I'm freaking out. So - what you're telling me is that your dad is living in an Uhaul rental truck and you want to park him here? Yep. Sorry - we do not do that. Any RV park in their right mind won't do that. It's illegal - that is NOT a habitable space. If I was more of a bitch = I'd have strung her along and turned her in for elder abuse. You DO NOT DUMP YOUR AGING FATHER INTO A fucking used up U-Haul and the dump his ass ON ME!! FUCK YOU!! WE ARE AN RV PARK - NOT A FUCKING DUMPING GROUND FOR PARENTS AND CHILDREN THAT YOU WANT TO GET RID OF! REALLY! And I'll add one more thing - FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCKS! We operate a CAMPGROUND - NOT a HOME for LOST AND FUCKED UP SOULS. Really. Seriously.

by mrsgoo on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 09:05:02 PM PDT

•  that is so sad. (1+ / 0-)
                      mrsgoo
                      part of the problem is lack of affordable housing... and that rests solely on the shoulders of government!

many rv parks are filled with those who cannot find housing they can afford!  i stayed at many on my travails up and down the coast - was saddened by those who were left to live in boxes - but better than cars, i suppose.

the saddest part is that many are alcholics, addicts, ex-cons and they are desperate for any place to live that is "safe".

i've seen way more than i wanted to see as i was doing the coastal miles.  many gorgeous parks that were more than most rentals for space to keep out the poorest folks.

other parks exploited them.  people who are like this "daughter" are so indicative of people who turn a blind eye to relatives who are in deep trouble.  they won't try to find services that can help, or they can't afford to do so.

our society has a dark underbelly that makes the great depression look... well, great!

the saddest i can remember was reading of an old rv that was towed away only to find the occupant had died inside weeks earlier - and no one noticed.

my little rv was a great solution to travelling with my dogs - the most convenience for them and i had my portapotty when i needed it - not to mention a fridge, comfy bed and sink!  still, it was tight, but better than hotels and much less expensive, especially when i was working horseshows, there were facilities to park there.

i understand your anger. i understand your frustration.  there doesn't seem to be a solution as long as our society continues to "throw away" a fairly large segment of the population it deems "useless".  i really don't know what the solution is anymore.  it seems to have grown like this oil spill - beyond containment.

but... that's another diary for another day.  one of the reasons, btw, i am considering selling the sunrader is that someone somewhere needs a roof - and i'm not using it.  maybe it will make a difference in one life.  it is shelter that looks good enough to be accepted in most of the parks and for those who do permanent hookups, it would give someone a "home".  i hate waste.  it is just sitting where it could be some good to someone somewhere.  my little contribution to society?  maybe.

i feel selfish keeping it sitting empty and unused to rot away when it could be doing some good somewhere... like that old man living in a box truck.

sigh... what has our country devolved into?

by edrie on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 11:29:57 PM PDT

•  Yep, if you're not using it, might as well move (0+ / 0-)

it along to someone who can. I apologize for being so strident. But you learn quickly in this business that people lie and lie and lie. My career was spent in IT so I was ill prepared for this change. But hubby said - you'll figure it out. Trust your gut. And he was right. Just by asking the right questions in the right order - you know what you have on your hands. It truly pisses me off that local govt counts RV parks as "low income housing". That is just wrong. RV's were NEVER built to be lived in. Neither are boats. I can't tell you how many calls I've taken for "live aboard" slips. When I get somebody that is like - well, I don't have a boat yet but I think this is a cheap way to live - oh boy - they get an earful. It isn't! Boats require huge maintenance. And if it's large enough to live on - haul outs, bottom paint and insurance, taxes and registration will likely make it not cost effective. Not to mention many counties are outlawing live aboards here in CA. Contra Costa did it a couple of years ago. San Joaquin is considering it and Sacramento is thinking about it. One of the most heartbreaking phone calls I ever took was from an elderly woman who had a 60' floating home over in Contra Costa. The marina raised her berth rent to 1800.00/month. The contra costa ordinance places the oneus on the marina owner to flush the live aboards. So - apparently the only way they figured they could do it was raise the rent to such a ridiculous level they would leave. It was just sad. We can't take anything in our marina past about 40'. As awful as it sounds, I know why they did it. Lots and Lots and Lots of tweeks, freaks and wierdos living on boats with no proper sanitation. Lots of crime and cooking of crank. They finally said enough is enough.

by mrsgoo on Sat Jun 05, 2010 at 09:44:41 PM PDT