View Diary: ROV Liveblog #41: BP's Destruction of the GoM (344 comments)

•  okay, I'm calmer now. (4+ / 0-)
    Detroit Mark, godislove, Onomastic, DawnN

My shitfit is over. Do we know how many lease request or approvals were in the pipe when he was giving the speech? My impression (again correct if I am wrong) is that no NEW drilling will be going on for at least six-months. It will take awhile for these companies to get their stuff together and go out to start drilling, right?

Earth: Mostly harmless ~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (revised entry)

by yawnimawke on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 06:34:51 PM PDT

•  I don't have those answers. (6+ / 0-)

What I do have are my own cynical little suspicions.

One of them is that our president is surrounded by very powerful, very rich (beyond anything you can imagine) corporate executives who eat politicians for lunch, and can also make them wealthy for the rest of their lives.

And they are telling our president it would be best for all concerned if the rhythm of oil extraction is never, ever disrupted.

He is probably being advised to say whatever he needs to say to calm and satiate the angry villagers.  But in the end, he must behave himself as all of the other presidents have and let "nature take her course".

Catholic Church: Example of Religion thats TOO BIG TO FAIL

by Detroit Mark on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 06:41:04 PM PDT

•  Today He Called for Shift to Nuclear and Nat Gas (5+ / 0-)

If that clarifies anything.

by Gooserock on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 06:43:27 PM PDT

•  Talk is soothing. It's like a warm sweet roll. (4+ / 0-)

It's just talk.

Catholic Church: Example of Religion thats TOO BIG TO FAIL

by Detroit Mark on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 06:44:36 PM PDT

•  From his speech. (4+ / 0-)
          chickeee, ybruti, Yasuragi, DawnN

Now, I understand that we can’t end our dependence on fossil fuels overnight.  That’s why I supported a careful plan of offshore oil production as one part of our overall energy strategy.  But we can pursue such production only if it’s safe, and only if it’s used as a short-term solution while we transition to a clean energy economy.

And the time has come to aggressively accelerate that transition.  The time has come, once and for all, for this nation to fully embrace a clean energy future.  (Applause.)  Now, that means continuing our unprecedented effort to make everything from our homes and businesses to our cars and trucks more energy-efficient.  It means tapping into our natural gas reserves, and moving ahead with our plan to expand our nation’s fleet of nuclear power plants.  It means rolling back billions of dollars of tax breaks to oil companies so we can prioritize investments in clean energy research and development

And you know, where are the references to tidal, solar, or wind? Nada.

I realize that our transition away from fossil fuels can not be done over night. I know it's complicated. It's a massive restructing of our society and a way we live that generations have viewed as "normal."

But you can't say on one hand that we need to move towards a clean energy future, while advocating for gas and nuclear energy sources. It just doesn't not make logical sense. I'm not happy at all about that.

He's the man I voted for and I will not engage in bashing of any kind, but I've got a few questions that need answering. I've also got a whole lot more research to do.

Sorry about that. Hadn't planned on getting into the political/policy aspect here. Things are difficult enough with just focusing on the Gulf.

I won't go there again.

Stepping up to life eliminates the capacity for bullshit. - Robinswing

by Onomastic on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 07:42:24 PM PDT

•  I'm just shaking my head here. (5+ / 0-)

I can only think when does the good guy win? I understand what you are saying. I guess I just still have this idealistic belief that we, the people, can overcome powerful forces when we need to. A reckoning will come against these corporations. They are not going to be able to hold the entire country down for very much longer.

Earth: Mostly harmless ~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (revised entry)

by yawnimawke on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 06:56:22 PM PDT

•  Kevin Baker in Harpers a year ago wrote (1+ / 0-)
          yawnimawke

in Barack Hoover Obama

Obama will have to directly attack the fortified bastions of the newest "new class"—the makers of the paper economy in which he came of age—if he is to accomplish anything. These interests did not spend fifty years shipping the greatest industrial economy in the history of the world overseas only to be challenged by a newly empowered, green-economy working class. They did not spend much of the past two decades gobbling up previously public sectors such as health care, education, and transportation only to have to compete with a reinvigorated public sector. They mean, even now, to use the bailout to make the government their helpless junior partner, and if they can they will devour every federal dollar available to recoup their own losses, and thereby preclude the use of any monies for the rest of Barack Obama’s splendid vision.

The author's point in the article is that Obama needs to emulate FDR (rather than Herbert Hoover) and welcome the hatred of the ruling class.

•  no - only, I believe, (0+ / 0-)

DEEP water drilling permits. So therefore totally ok to keep drilling in shallow water - like Ixtoc.

Now is the time for all good men to come to. - Pogo

by DawnN on Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 07:04:48 PM PDT

• Rescued (21)
  • 2016 (21)
  • Racism (20)
  • Media (20)
  • Environment (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site