View Diary: Cyclist-attack motorist arrested in SF (128 comments)

•  I agree, it has served its purpose. (2+ / 0-)
    homogenius, citisven

Cycling is going much more mainstream now.

Families who want occasional car free street play days for their children are starting to get organized.

"Play Streets" are found all over Europe in the summertime.

And the Ciclovia movement has taken off worldwide.

"One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity nothing beats teamwork." - Mark Twain

by greendem on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 04:01:46 PM PDT

•  Yes, and San Francisco has Sunday Streets (3+ / 0-)
      Caelian, greendem, homogenius

which has been very popular and drawing way more people than critical mass. Check it out.

Live life. Not too fast. Mostly walk. (or bike)

by citisven on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 04:07:36 PM PDT

•  Critical mass is about (2+ / 0-)
        erratic, citisven

commuting on a bike, not just riding bike.  As much as I like Sunday streets it isn't intended to address any cycling issues other than recreational cycling.

I'm not going to be happy til we get rid of all the cars down town.  There's no reason to have them there.

I refuse to represent my political beliefs using numbers. It isn't accurate, nor is it helpful. But I'm around a -10 on both scales.

by AoT on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 04:26:43 PM PDT

•  I'm with you (2+ / 0-)
          AoT, erratic

being from Germany I know it can work without cars, despite what people say.

Live life. Not too fast. Mostly walk. (or bike)

by citisven on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 04:34:01 PM PDT

•  Certainly for the able-bodied (1+ / 0-)
          erratic

If they want to bring a car downtown, it should be expensive, like London.

At least $10.

by greendem on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 04:46:44 PM PDT

•  With the saturation of public transportation (1+ / 0-)
            erratic

in the downtown area there's no reason for cars there.  There are plenty of options for mobility impaired folks, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was easier than driving.  I read a news article a couple of years ago about how there are more handicap tags in San Francisco than there are parking spots.  Doesn't surprise me.  I know I've seen a lot of folks who simply don't need those using them, and I think there needs to be more police action in terms of that.

by AoT on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 05:07:52 PM PDT

•  In Oakland they cracked down hard (0+ / 0-)

$750 tickets, first offense.

by greendem on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 05:16:36 PM PDT

•  public transit has hit the skids though (1+ / 0-)
              homogenius

in SF

•  Say what? (1+ / 0-)
              AoT

Have you ever taken public transit with impaired mobility?

Seriously?

I don't have enough time to explain all the ways that you are spewing teh stoopid. I'm not exaggerating.

I've navigated all the major transit methods in SF in a wheelchair, walking on my prosthetic leg, and on crutches. Until you have experienced those "options"...FUCK OFF!

As for your PERCEPTION that you have "seen a lot of folks who simply don't need those using them", HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW THAT???

Oh, yeah...I get plenty pissed off at the idea of people parking in disabled spots who don't need them. I have permanent tags and I don't use them a lot of the time because I know there are lots of folks who need the space more than I do. But who made you the instant expert on who is disabled and who isn't?

Fuck that fucking shit.

Do you have any idea the complexity of disabilities and who needs to use that handicapped space and who doesn't?

Fuck. Just...Fuck.

Somebody please explain just how stupid that is because I can't.

Yes, there are massive abuses of handicapped tags. But you don't have clue-one about how to discern who really needs them. Moreover, you think mass transit is more gimp-friendly than it really is. How many times have you missed a scheduled bus or train because of disability?

Christ on a cracker, spare me the stupidity of the ignorant.

"[The GOP wanting to debate Obama is like saying] 'Let's see how tough Aquaman is when we get him in the water.' " --Seth Meyers

by homogenius on Fri Jun 04, 2010 at 09:00:19 PM PDT

•  Sorry (0+ / 0-)

for that.  I understand that there are serious problems with muni and people with mobility issues.  There shouldn't be, it's entirely possible to run them in a way that works for everyone, including folks with mobility issues.  I was thinking more of the downtown area, which seems like it's better than the rest of the city.

I'm thinking about the folks who I've seen park in a handicapped designated spot, put the tag up, then literally run two blocks.  My mom has a tag, and needs it, but doesn't "look" like she does.  I'm not talking about that.  I mean the folks that use other people's tags, or have obtained them under false pretenses.

I do have a good idea about these issues, and I'm sorry for the way my post glossed over it.  The issues of disabilities is far more overlooked than anything having to do with bicycles, mainly because disabilities don't have the same political cache as bikes do right now.

In terms of the "easier than driving" comment, I meant that in regard to the fact that there aren't enough parking spots for all the people with handicap tags.  Obviously, having experienced all of this first hand, you know a lot more than I do, so I'll defer to that experience.  I will say that I'd be happy to simply convert all the parking spots to handicapped spots.

by AoT on Sat Jun 05, 2010 at 03:16:32 PM PDT

•  Thanks for your reasoned reply. (0+ / 0-)

I'm afraid you hit a nerve and I over-reacted.

You are correct that there are is an epidemic of people abusing placards and disabled spaces. However, there are a lot of people with hidden disabilities who get abused by know-it-alls who don't have the first clue how to deal with the situation.

My preferred form of verification is if someone asks "are you the holder of that placard". That is vastly preferable to "you can't park there" or "you don't look disabled" (both of which can get a fast "fuck off" from me, most likely if I'm wearing long pants). Bear in mind, however that the placard can be used if a driver is dropping off or picking up the holder.

Sorry for the rant--but there is a lot of misinformation out there.

by homogenius on Sat Jun 05, 2010 at 04:29:09 PM PDT

•  I don't begrudge you (0+ / 0-)

your anger at all.  I've known a number of people with mobility issues and even in places that do a better job of policy around the issues, and in my experience San Francisco is one of those, there are still a huge number of problems.

I'm afraid you hit a nerve and I over-reacted.

Completely understandable.  When it comes to getting around in the world everyone gets irritable and riles easily, especially when they are thought about last, if at all.  That's one of the things I learned as a cyclist and from being around people who use wheel chairs.

I had an eye opening moment when my best friend got back from a trip to Europe with her now late brother, who was used a wheel chair.  He had huge problems getting around because even areas that said they were wheelchair friendly really weren't.  Soon after I was at a bar talking with a few english folks who started on about how they could tell that Americans were lazy because we had so many elevators.  I'll be damned if I didn't blow up at them over the fact that I didn't remember seeing a single god damned person in public in a wheel chair when I was in Europe, and the reason for it was that people in wheelchairs simple had no reasonable way to get into most buildings and such.

I've never actually said anything to someone who I thought was misusing a placard.  Mostly because I'm a bit of a coward that way, but also because I know that physical problems that might necessitate one aren't always obvious to me.  That or the fact that they ran too fast after getting out of their car.  That was always the one that got me.  I could not believe it.  It was always around the college, SFSU, so I assumed it was asshole kids using their parents or grandparents placards.

by AoT on Sat Jun 05, 2010 at 05:02:36 PM PDT

•  A little more on the topic (1+ / 0-)
                homogenius

I think it would be really easy to rework buses and trolleys to be much more friendly for people who are mobility impaired.  I don't know exactly how to do that, although I have a couple of ideas, but I imagine there are other people who have thought this out a lot more than I have.

by AoT on Sat Jun 05, 2010 at 03:19:10 PM PDT

•  Improvements are being made. (0+ / 0-)

Slowly. In some places.