View Diary: I Study Homophobia (234 comments)

•  some would find it disgusting (1+ / 0-)
    Shesk

no matter if it is done by hetero or homo-sexuals.

I really don't care what consenting adults do behind closed doors.. but, if asked, I will not hide my disgust for certain acts simply to appear less "prejudiced".

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - G. Marx

by Skeptical Bastard on Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 09:37:15 AM PDT

•  I actually have some data on this. (4+ / 0-)
      musing85, kyril, synductive99, ridemybike

I was discussing this in another diary a few days ago.  My comment is here.

The few, the proud, the Pro-Israel Kossaks.

by psychodrew on Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 09:51:05 AM PDT

•  Interesting and it appears to support my point (5+ / 0-)

that it is WHO is doing and not WHAT they are doing that is the problem with homophobes. Of course, I think anyone who, like the legislator in the video, is THAT fascinated with a particular sex act might have other problems...

"Maybe life's meaning is not so much found, as it is made." Opus, by Berke Breathed

by Lisa in Bama on Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 10:06:03 AM PDT

•  why am I a "homophobe" if I find (1+ / 0-)
          MyBrainWorks

something disgusting?

That puts a negative connotation on involuntary feelings.

by Skeptical Bastard on Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 10:23:53 AM PDT

•  What I meant was that people are more or less (3+ / 0-)
            kyril, JWSwift, Keori

disgusted by a particular act depending on who is doing it. And if someone spends a great deal of their public life talking about the details of other people's sex life, like the legislator in the video, then they have in my opinion a problem beyond politics. If you are equally disgusted by a particular behavior regardless of who is engaging in it, then you're just human. If you base your political views on that visceral reaction, then you're crossing into "-phobe" territory.

by Lisa in Bama on Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 11:14:49 AM PDT

•  Anyway, any phobia is involuntary. (1+ / 0-)
            kyril

If you're an arachnophobe, it's not like you choose to be squicked out by spiders.

I was talking the other day to a friend who's phobic of snakes.  She realizes it's irrational, and laughed at herself as she recounted making a sudden u-turn to avoid some little garter snake in her path.

The "disgust" research interests me, because I have a fairly high squick response to things I find disgusting.  (I stepped in some poop in my stocking feet last week, and used the Sanitize setting on the washer when I washed the sock, though I doubt that was at all necessary.)  But I've never transferred that sense of disgust to the private sexual behaviors of other people.

Even reading Samuel R. Delany's "The Mad Man", which goes into great detail about an obscure and particular fetish with an unusual bodily fluid--for that one I had to make a definite effort to get past the squick, because it really was unusual.  But when it came down to it, the novel's an erotic love story, and the emotions overrode the particulars for me.

So anecdotally, it seems there must be some component of empathy that can counter the involuntary disgust factor?

•  How involuntary is it? (1+ / 0-)
            kyril

Some people ("prudes") are disgusted by any hint of sexuality of any sort. People used to be shocked and disgusted by men & women dancing the waltz; they actually touch each other!!! The man puts his arm around her waist! OMG!!!

•  Socially constructed, maybe. (2+ / 0-)
              kyril, Tropical Depression

People are indoctrinated from infancy with various behavioral norms, and have different levels of discomfort with transgressive behavior. But since they are norms, just 'the way everyone thinks,' many people aren't really aware of their existence -- those reactions are so deeply held that they feel 'involuntary' to the holders. And even when they are aware that 'some people' do things differently, that discomfort that keeps them following the rules themselves  translates into disgust towards those who break them.

(I think I got all the 'thems' and 'thoses' lined up right...)

•  The State Legislator From New Hampshire Should (3+ / 0-)
          kyril, synductive99, ridemybike

quit doing anal sex if she doesn't like it anymore.

250 is the new 180

by kerplunk on Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 10:46:23 AM PDT

•  Indeed, it does support your point. n/t (2+ / 0-)
          kyril, ridemybike

The few, the proud, the Pro-Israel Kossaks.

by psychodrew on Mon Jun 14, 2010 at 11:21:19 AM PDT