View Diary: The other 40% (31 comments)

•  I can't decide how to vote! (6+ / 0-)

While I'm a chronically dissatisfied leftie at heart, you won't find me in the chronically complaining crowd either, as hope springs eternal with me and I know that until I/we get some more people to think like me/us, my Utopia shall remain a dream.

Good, thoughtful diary. Unbelievable as it may seem to us, there are still a few otherwise reasonable and intelligent folks out there who have yet to realize the horrors and hypocrisy of the modern-day Republican Party. It is our duty to reach and teach them.

There is no more important struggle for American democracy than ensuring a diverse, independent and free media. - Bill Moyers

by StepLeftStepForward on Wed Jun 16, 2010 at 08:53:00 PM PDT

•  understandable (3+ / 0-)

thanks for your viewpoint

"Of the 500 promises [Pres. Obama] made during the campaign, he's kept, or at least made progress on, 400 of them in his first year alone"--Jonathan Alter

by thoughtful3 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 at 08:55:39 PM PDT

•  In the end, I voted for the (3+ / 0-)
        kpardue, awcomeon, thoughtful3

only 'yes' choice, as I really do believe we - the Left - do ourselves a huge disservice by just writing off and refusing to engage with everyone doesn't see things our way. I grew up in a liberal oasis in Kansas; I have a pretty good picture of the types around there who vote Republican. I would characterize about 10-20% as misguided/hoodwinked/brainwashed, rather than greedy and/or stupid.

by StepLeftStepForward on Wed Jun 16, 2010 at 09:09:33 PM PDT

•  I grew up in a moderate to conservative area (2+ / 0-)

although not as conservative as many believe it to be (Omaha, NE).  It's probably more fiscally conservative (and, I mean truly fiscally-conservative, not the fakers) than anything else. I now live in a moderately liberal/progressive state, although my area is definitely more conservative than the state as a whole, or at least the big city that populates the majority of my state, I should say.

by thoughtful3 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 at 09:18:26 PM PDT

•  So you're a rural Nevadan? :) (1+ / 0-)
            thoughtful3

We're all politics geeks here, that's enough to guess where you are. But, great diary, and I definitely count myself in the 40%.

Support Dennis McDonald and Montana Democrats in the 2010 election!

by twohundertseventy on Thu Jun 17, 2010 at 02:10:13 AM PDT

•  no (0+ / 0-)

grew up in omaha, now live in a suburb of chicago, il

by thoughtful3 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 at 02:35:41 AM PDT