View Diary: BP's Gulf of Mexico Disaster ROV #120 - Father's Day on the Gulf Edition (317 comments)

•  Loved your father's day tribute....... (15+ / 0-)

USM?

Such a lovely tribute to your dad. The memories are intriguing. Your dad was involved in your life as not all dads are and sharing music like that must be a precious gift despite the trials of practice. I would have loved that.

Do you play much now? I love piano and enjoy my cd's including a couple of Horowitz, Gould, etc.

Did your father's surgery make his hand well enough so he could continue playing? I heard some great pianists play with the Cleveland Orchestra in the 60's mostly, John Browning, Robert Casadeseus (sp?), Leon Fleisher, and others. I especially love Bach, Beethoven's concertos, the Prokofiev concerto (is there more than one?) and the concerto someone wrote for the left hand, I heard that one at the CSO.

What is your favorite piano recording and favorite pieces, concerto, sonata, or other? Would love to know, when you have time.

I have an adopted son (from Korea) and know that the love given to an adopted child can be huge, as I'm sure your dad's was for you. Hope you have a great day!

you (Repubs) lie down with "Nazi"-chanters, you get up with a responsibility for what they might do. -David Corn

by Gorette on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 10:14:16 AM PDT

•  So much for going outside! (10+ / 0-)

I can't miss a musical comment!  What would Jim think?!

USM is the University of Southern Mississippi.  I'll edit to correct that.  Thanks for noticing.

I never could take lessons from my Dad.  I started Suzuki (violin) when I was four and played until I was 20; in band through Jr. High, High School, and college I played oboe and English Horn, then was captain of the sideline percussion group during field season.  I was a music major for a while but gave it up for history when I realized that trying to get back into piano at 18 was a bad idea.

I have been known to pick up my oboe from time to time - and my violin.  I can still pick my way (slowly) through most of the pieces from the last Suzuki book I worked through - vol. 6.

Favorite recordings... Dad was a Brahms/Chopin guy, so I'm quite partial to Horowitz and Rubenstein's recordings of their oeuvres.  Carol Rosenberger is a favorite pianist; she's sensitive to the tempi written for most of my favorite Chopin and Brahms.  Barenboim's recordings of the Bach partitas and Scarlatti little pieces... and his new releases of the Well-Tempered Clavier... are lovely.  I also love Louis Moreau Gottschalk, and Gershwin's little pieces for piano as well.  Lang-Lang is a magnificent newcomer that I really enjoy.

Gould... I've never been a Gould fan.  Pollini either, for the same reason - I can hear them breathing, loudly.  Gould sang along.  Both pain me to no end.

Steven Osborne's new recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas and last year's Rachmaninoff preludes are TO DIE FOR.  They're perfection embodied.

I think you're thinking of the Ravel concerto.  As for Dad, he worked up some LH pieces during his recovery.  Then, a year later, he had a second operation at Touro for the same contracture.  I could always tell when it was bothering him - he'd miss some of notes - black keys - in the Chopin Nocturne in b.

"Katrina was no puddle and this is not a leak." Inspired by Another American Lie

by khowell on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 10:39:10 AM PDT

•  Thanks for all that! Especially (5+ / 0-)

that rec for the Beethoven and Rachmf. I'm going to put that on my Christmas wish list right now!

I too played violin but not for long enough. My older sister played it and I had to try to be different--it seems to have been my mission in life at that point. The oboe is another instrument I wish I could play, always loved it.

But history. I can relate.

by Gorette on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 10:59:42 AM PDT

•  I Grew Up (5+ / 0-)

Listening to my dad sing along with George Jones and Hanks Williams. My great love was and always will be rock and roll. The Beatles, The Stones, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix. That's the music I've lived and breathed my whole life.

"Perhaps nature is our best assurance of immortality." Eleanor Roosevelt

by Pam LaPier on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 11:20:50 AM PDT

•  Love Beatles and Stones as well......couldn't (4+ / 0-)
          Tomtech, khowell, Pam LaPier, Yasuragi

have done without them. But married a man who hated Rock. I know. Well, we're divorced. That's probably why. heh.

Just really was into choral music in high school, and voice lessons. My love of classical music is strongest.

by Gorette on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 11:24:54 AM PDT

•  My husband (5+ / 0-)

always says I was born 30 years too late.  I have more Beatles, Stones, Neil Young, Zeppelin, Clapton, and Bob Dylan than most people ... certainly most people who've just turned 30.  When I started listening to jazz (vibraphone in jazz band was what I loved about being a music major - that and theory) it was like people must've been in the teens and 20s...  an epic battle of conflicting cultures, wrought over Brubeck instead of Joplin.

by khowell on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 11:45:50 AM PDT

•  Sounds like me, only I belonged to the (3+ / 0-)
            khowell, temptxan, Yasuragi

Beatles, Stones, etc. era...I started listening to "Jazz Decades" on the radio with my Dad Sunday nights and fell in love with the music of the 30's and 40's, and a bit of 1920's Louis Armstrong and Bix Biederbecke. I even drove long distances to see musicians like Roy Eldridge, Benny Goodman, Teddy Wilson in the 1970s.

My dad died in a car accident over three years ago...in perfect health until then, always thought he'd live to his 90s...he only played music on the phonograph (later got a CD player), but he was great at that (left some wonderful records)...

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 02:08:32 PM PDT

•  Yes, Ravel! n/t (6+ / 0-)

by Gorette on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 11:21:42 AM PDT

•  When My Dad Was In College He'd Go to Severance (8+ / 0-)

hall to hear the Szell rehearse the orchestra, and sometimes when he could afford it would catch a concert that he'd heard rehearsed earlier and see how well they managed to clean it up!

I loved classical when I was growing up. He got me a 78 RPM 2 record set of song stories of Aladdin and His Lamp set to the themes of Scheherazade, when I was 4 back in the 50's (which I would kill to find a copy of today) and so it became a very personal emotional identity for me.

Both my brother and I ended up going into people's music. I went Celtic, he went blues, but there's always been music and musicians in our houses ever since. A party or reunion without people playing and singing would be unimaginable.

Thanks dad!

by Gooserock on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 10:53:41 AM PDT

•  "people's music" -- that's new to me but (4+ / 0-)
        Tomtech, khowell, Pam LaPier, Yasuragi

perfect. What a great thing it must be to have live music in your home. We recently had a big B-day blowout for my bro-in-law with a live jazz band, in Gainesville, FL. It was great!

Yep. In the 50's my grandfather gave me some 78's. You needed a box for the 4 records for any one symphony, remember? These were from Lakewood, OH, and many were E. European, and Russian composers. Khatchaturian (sp?), and others you don't hear very often, thunderous they were. Loved them and played them constantly. Then in for one year in college went to Severance Hall many times where tickets were pretty cheap compared to now. I got to sit close enough to see the faces of the violinists anyhow, and see Szell conduct.

Did you get to go through school to the Intro to Orchestra concerts every year as we did from John Marshall HS? (and from elementary school as well) James Levine was one of the conductors I think, and was it Louis Lane?

by Gorette on Sun Jun 20, 2010 at 11:09:43 AM PDT