View Diary: So.. about that swine flu hysteria... (92 comments)

•  I had the swine flu. (9+ / 0-)

I'm a teacher.  It wiped out half the school for a couple of weeks last fall.  And I got it.

At the time, my wife was six or seven months pregnant.  The swine flu seemed to hit pregnant women and children particularly hard.

People did actually die in significant numbers from this.  I think that this diary is irresponsible.

by DingellDem on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 07:45:53 AM PDT

•  maybe provocative? (0+ / 0-)

John McCain - 894/899 of his graduating class at Annapolis.

by sedrunsic on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 07:52:26 AM PDT

•  I can only speak from my personal experience. (2+ / 0-)
        Catte Nappe, sedrunsic

I've been a teacher for twelve years.  And I can't remember a virus/etc. that moved as easily from kid to kid as this one.

I do think that U.S. health officials have some questions to answer about the vaccine production and distribution program.

In places like Canada, there were ingredients added to the vaccine that made more doses available more quickly.  This would have been helpful.

I do actually appreciate your action in pointing out the story.  It is actually good to look at these pandemics after the fact to see what should be done during he next pandemic.

by DingellDem on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 08:10:44 AM PDT

•  Yes, people did die (2+ / 0-)
      creekobear, Dcoronata

of H1N1. But not in numbers we see every single year from the regular seasonal flu. Thing is, the demographics of who died - younger people previously healthy, pregnant women.

Fact is that around 20,000-40,000 people die of flu every year in the United States. Many are elderly and compromised people who got their annual vaccination, which often doesn't render immunity but is supposed to diminish severity. Last year's death toll [CDC] from H1N1 was less than 11,000. That is of course low because not all cases were confirmed, but it is considerably less than an average flu season. Even if you know someone who died of it.

I'd love to attribute the lower toll to the vaccination campaign, but the fact is that H1N1 vaccine did not become available until months after the flu had already moved through my state (and many others).

Now, more than ever, we need the Jedi.

by Joieau on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 08:23:18 AM PDT

•  it's not how many died, but who (2+ / 0-)
        rockhound, FrugalGranny

H1N1 was killing healthy adults in their prime - people who almost never die of influenza unless their systems are otherwise compromised.

Fossil fuels are the reason you can sit comfortably in air conditioning and sneer at BP.

by Orbital Mind Control Lasers on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 08:29:18 AM PDT

•  I mentioned that (1+ / 0-)
          Dcoronata

in my first line. Surely you aren't actually trying to weight mortality statistics here, per "important, worthy" people and throw-aways. Though when healthy young and middle age people die, it more directly impacts the economy than when a retired elderly person dies.

In a standard year flu comes in at #7 on the list of primary causes of death - for all people, without any such value rating. #1 is heart disease, #2 is cancer, and surprisingly enough (or not), health care comes in at #3. Iatrogenic disease, medical and prescription errors, etc.

So a year like the last one when flu deaths are half or less than in a normal year is pretty darned good.

Now, more than ever, we need the Jedi.

by Joieau on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 08:50:14 AM PDT

•  In an average flu season (2+ / 0-)
      sedrunsic, Joieau

nearly 40,000 die.

The number of severe illnesses and deaths caused by H1N1 was significantly lower than what would be expected by a nominal flu season, let alone a bad one.

This may have been a highly transmitted flu variant, but it wasn't a very dangerous one.  Thank goodness!