View Diary: Unemployment Filibuster- It Is Time For Daily Hearings (187 comments)

•  Sorry, don't agree (3+ / 0-)
    417els, snackdoodle, dendron gnostic

but won't get into a fight or go any more OT. As one who has worked in the public sector all my life as well as run and served in an elected position, all I can say is that it's a different form dance than I had imagined. I had to learn it and dance it for a while. I'd be doing the same thing as Obama (indeed I have) -- and hating every second of it, feeling impatient, but knowing I had to do it. I also know what it looks like from the outside. I'm less disappointed than you. I will remain a strong supporter is my bottom line. You have to make your own choice and it sounds like you have.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. -- Sir Winston Churchill

by bleeding heart on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 10:21:44 AM PDT

•  Reagan didn't meet Dems halfway, nor did W (15+ / 0-)

If (God help us) someone like the Mittster wins in 2012, he won't be meeting us halfway, either.  Dems had Senate pluralities in '01-'02 and in '07-'08, yet they weren't half as effective in thwarting W then as GOP is in thwaring Obama w/ 41 senators now.

To make matters worse, we're told that we have to appease the likes of Blanche Lincoln to get things passed, but, when a viable primary foe emerges, the entire party machinery mobilizes behind her.  The machinery mobilized behind JoeMentum in the '06 primary, it stayed on the sidelines in the GE then, and it let him off the hook w/ a light wrist slap after he willfully committed political treason in '08.

While no one should ever have to experience what you went through personally, the situations don't appear to be analogous.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 10:40:05 AM PDT

•  I HEAR You and I Get It. If You Have To Step (3+ / 0-)
      bleeding heart, zedaker, drgedde

out, we can take if from here, and thanks.

I've been sayin' over and over lately, he could be Cassius Claying them (yes, before he was Ali, he was floatin' like a butterfly - man was ALL THAT from Day #1!), he could be suckering them all right in close, just waitin' for the shot that counts.

I'm out on a limb here sometimes, but I'm bettin' he's been swimming with the sharks plenty of times before and not just into jumping them (I still don't know WTF that means and I've seen it explained more than once).  He plays basketball, not whack-a-mole.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king; in the land of the braindead, the intelligent person is cast as the village idiot."

by dendron gnostic on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 11:04:09 AM PDT

•  where and when is the payoff? (3+ / 0-)
      RFK Lives, Jesterfox, cpresley

If all this niceness and bipartisanship from Obama never yields any dividends, how is it not a waste of time?  During the stimulus debate, the meme was that Obama was throwing a "rope-a-dope" on the Republicans, by acting nice and reasonable while they acted crazy and against the wishes of the people.

The latter has happened in spades, but where is the second half of the rope-a-dope - when you counterattack and knock your opponents ass out?  Is Obama ever going to say "no mas"?

I'm a part of the reality-based community, not the personality-based community.

by Uberbah on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 01:49:31 PM PDT

•  When Roberto Duran had his famous "no mas" moment (0+ / 0-)

he was quitting in a fight with Sugar Ray Leonard.

And, of course, you have to get in a fight before you quit it...

www.bushwatch.net - Kicking against the pricks since '98!

by chuckvw on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 03:25:20 PM PDT

•  too bad I was referring to the Spanish language.. (1+ / 0-)
          chuckvw

...and nothing connected to boxing.

And, of course, you have to get in a fight before you quit it...

Indeed.  I was thinking we would see some of this from Obama, some day.  I stopped holding my breath a long time ago though.

title=

I'm a part of the reality-based community, not the personality-based community.

by Uberbah on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 03:42:30 PM PDT

•  Since you used "rope-a-dope" in the same graf... (1+ / 0-)
            Uberbah

I'm probably one of the few old boxing fans on the site!

www.bushwatch.net - Kicking against the pricks since '98!

by chuckvw on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 04:07:12 PM PDT

•  you ever watch Around the Horn... (1+ / 0-)
              chuckvw

...when Max (huge boxing fan) was still hosting?  The final question on one show was...name the greatest athlete over 40 years old.

Kevin Blackistone (IIRC) named Archie "The Old Mongoose" Moore, who had a great career through his 40's.

Woody Paige said, 'Okay, since you mentioned boxing, I have no chance whatsoever.  So I'll go with a great performer, who's remained active well into his 70's....Hugh Hefner.'

I'm more in Woody Paige territory than Max territory.  :)

I'm a part of the reality-based community, not the personality-based community.

by Uberbah on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 04:36:34 PM PDT

•  Ha! (1+ / 0-)
                Uberbah

Didn't see that one.  To be fair, Hef didn't spend his career getting punched in the face.  There may have been a few pretty rough pillow fights though!

www.bushwatch.net - Kicking against the pricks since '98!

by chuckvw on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 06:35:04 PM PDT