View Diary: Write On! Well-done stakes. (145 comments)

•  You even say H instead of A! (3+ / 0-)
    SensibleShoes, cfk, JamesRhetor

You're adorable.

I read the first three when the third one came out, to see what the fuss was all about, but I'm afraid it make no impact at all, and I don't remember a single scene, except the first one where someone is a cat, and there's an owl, and Harry's under the cupboard, and I resented Potter for poking fun at the fat kid.

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 07:13:23 PM PDT

•  I am beginning to think you had a happier (3+ / 0-)
      GussieFN, SensibleShoes, JamesRhetor

childhood than I did.  :)

I identified with Harry and the idea that he could go to a special school where he could be himself and belong was appealing...though it didn't turn out well that way.

Hagrid as a friend was so cool.  I just loved Hagrid.

Join us at Bookflurries: Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 07:18:54 PM PDT

•  I identified with the fat kid! (3+ / 0-)
        SensibleShoes, cfk, JamesRhetor

And all the Muggles. I hate all special people, being such a normal myself.

And a buddy of mine said that there was some subplot about freeing gremlin slaves or something, but that just got dropped because, hey.

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 07:21:04 PM PDT

•  No, people wanted there to be. (2+ / 0-)
          GussieFN, cfk
          A lot of the stuff in the books is analogies for stuff in the muggle world, so people wanted the house elves to be an analogy for something too, but they couldn't figure out what.

The house elves aren't really an analogy for anything.

-9.0, -8.3 "...the number of Mexicans killed or wounded by immigration authorities rose from five in 2008 to 12 in 2009 to 17 so far this year" --AP, 6/9/2010

by SensibleShoes on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 07:47:00 PM PDT

•  Oh. I thought they were slaves and the (2+ / 0-)
            SensibleShoes, cfk

girl wanted to free them but then decided--look over there, a unicorn! But as the man said, sometimes an elf is just an elf.

"Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror."

by GussieFN on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 07:50:26 PM PDT

•  Oh, they are kind of slaves but (1+ / 0-)
              cfk
              they get very upset with her for trying to free them, and so people were all what does this mean but yeah, it was just an elf.

by SensibleShoes on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 08:08:38 PM PDT

•  You are making me think (2+ / 0-)
              GussieFN, SensibleShoes

You liked the fat kid and I liked Hermione a lot and there were a lot of things that...well, that made her seem odd just for the sake of making her seem odd.

That bothered me.  That she was considered a mudblood was scary because it made her a special target.  That she wanted to free the elves and was ridiculed even by the elves...

not sure how I feel about that even now.

Join us at Bookflurries: Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 08:09:32 PM PDT

•  The third one was a how-to-plot text. (3+ / 0-)
      GussieFN, cfk, JamesRhetor
      The Shrieking Shack Scene (say that three times fast) ought to be studied by anyone who wants to write a billion-copy-bestseller.

Harry matures in re the fat kid. But it takes the first six books.

by SensibleShoes on Thu Jul 01, 2010 at 07:20:30 PM PDT