View Diary: Fred Thompson pitches government-backed reverse mortgages (89 comments)

•  As an aside (0+ / 0-)

What I will never for the life of me be able to understand is why millions of people continue to eat such unhealthily when it's so blindingly obvious that it's literally killing them (not to mention costing them). I'm talking morbidly obese people chowing down triple bacon cheeseburgers with plus size cheese fries. W. T. F.!

Do they not know, do they not care, or is it literally addictive behavior?

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything...Mankind are forever destined to be the dupes of bold & cunning imposture" --Alexander Hamilton

by kovie on Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 08:29:20 AM PDT

•  Or is it cultural? (0+ / 0-)

Or perhaps an infantile passive-aggressive and self-destructive way of saying FU to people who would tell them how to live their lives, even if well-intended?

I just don't get it. A nation of self-destructive children and fools.

by kovie on Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 08:31:09 AM PDT

•  A few of us got into a bit of an online (1+ / 0-)
        kovie

dust-up a few years ago over the issue of overeating and its place on the spectrum of disordered eating.  The story of the rapper Fat Joe came up:  he vowed as a child that when he grew up he'd eat everything he wanted.  I've seen a photo of him as a young man; he was slender.

I work with the overweight and obese every day.  It's a commonly held misconception that all of them continue to overeat regularly.  That isn't what I'm seeing or hearing.  We talk about their addictions, which are hard to face when you actually do have to eat versus taking drugs, drinking, or smoking.  You might be surprised at how many people don't (1) know how to eat properly and (2) don't see the connection between their behavior and the outcome.  They don't look at portion sizes but just assume a bottle/bag/pack is a serving.

Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way. Booker T. Washington

by conlakappa on Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 08:45:46 AM PDT

•  I'm sure you're right (0+ / 0-)

It's just hard for me to understand how a grown person could be this ignorant.

Of course, we're dealing with a population where up to 80% don't believe in evolution and 25% don't know who we fought in the Revolution. As someone who's benefited from a good education, I simply don't understand why so many Americans are this ignorant and really stupid. How does that happen? What went wrong?

by kovie on Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 08:57:58 AM PDT

•  They've been seduced by a culture that (1+ / 0-)
            kovie

encourages them to consume.  It doesn't matter the good, does it?  And, yeah, we don't value education but at the same time serving sizes are getting larger while true portions are static.  I remind them that evolution takes a long time time to occur and that we cannot consume any more than we were able 50 years ago.  Whatever his masters and their messages, I give full props to David Kessler for nutritional labels.  It was an important first step but, clearly, the journey isn't complete.

I can understand your skepticism but I hear from women of all ages about lack of awareness of food and nutrition.  They're still the primary decisionmakers for shopping and activities, really in charge of health and fitness in the family.

Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way. Booker T. Washington

by conlakappa on Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 09:10:22 AM PDT

•  Oh, I don't doubt the ignorance (0+ / 0-)

I just find myself astounded by its pervasiveness. Am I THAT much smarter and more aware than most Americans? Why? How? We're not talking about quantum mechanics or rocket science here. It's really a very simple concept. You can only burn up or excrete so much of what you eat. The rest mostly gets converted into fat or muscle, and of that the overwhelming portion gets converted into fat, which anyone with eyes can see for themselves. Why is it so hard for people to make the connection between overeating and expanding waistlines? Where do they think all that fat is coming from, the air? Either people are actually this stupid and ignorant, or else they're choosing to be this stupid and ignorant because it's easier and more pleasing--or else something has seriously broken down in most Americans' brains. Or maybe they know that they're making themselves fat, but don't think it's harmful to their health.

I suspect that it's a combination of actual ignorance and willful denial. Most people prefer to be fit and healthy, but they prefer to indulge their apetite even more, and are making a tacit decision to sacrifice the former for the latter, and pretending that it's ok, or choosing to just not think about it and hope it that their bodies don't notice.

It's yet another form of infantilism that's taken over the country in so many ways.

by kovie on Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 11:27:00 AM PDT

• Science (25)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Media (24)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • Education (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (19)
  • Economy (18)
  • Congress (16)
  • Labor (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site