View Diary: Deadly Force, Deadly Fears: How Many More Oscar Grants? (78 comments)

•  What if the President didn't have to (5+ / 0-)

What if instead of relying on people of color to lead on issues of racism, those of us with privilege used that privilege to lead the struggle? Now that would be something.

I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction, of the Constitution. Barbara Jordan

by Lcohen on Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 11:46:46 AM PDT

•  reced 1000 times if i could (2+ / 0-)

this is absolutely it

"....while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." Eugene V. Debs

by soothsayer99 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 12:02:54 PM PDT

•  Well, white people leading justice movements (2+ / 0-)
      sierrak9s, soothsayer99

in this country still remains problematic, even when we have the best of intentions.

But I'm right with you on the necessity and importance of us whites getting our asses out there and on the line, relentlessly.

I actually think it's important to center people of color leadership in terms of framing, strategies, etc.  But you're spot on about how us white folks need to be making up for lost time by getting OUT there and agitating like hell.

Teach us to listen to sounds larger than our own heartbeat; that endure longer than our own weeping in the dark. - Lillian Smith

by RadioGirl on Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 12:03:09 PM PDT

•  I hear you (5+ / 0-)

My concern is the ability of many whites to dismiss "angry black people". If only people of color raise the issue of racism it helps to marginalize it with those most in need of confronting the reality. Also it is just unfair to add, to the burdens of the oppressed, being the ones who always have to raise "uncomfortable" subjects.

by Lcohen on Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 12:12:31 PM PDT

•  those who have pivilege (3+ / 0-)
          Lcohen, blueness, RadioGirl

need to use for the common good

"....while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." Eugene V. Debs

by soothsayer99 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 12:22:15 PM PDT

•  Agree that white people should be (3+ / 0-)
          Lcohen, soothsayer99, lightshine

vigorously raising the issues and not placing the burden totally or even primarily on POC to speak up and speak out.

It's just the "leadership" issue.  This has nothing to do with your comment, and I fully appreciate your insightful suggestions.

It's that in my own work, I often find that white people tend to "take over" - and POC voices/presence ends up relegated to the "diversity" corner.

So often – and I know you've probably seen this, too – white leadership frames the issues and makes the strategic choices, even against the counsel of POC.

It's having seen that so often that caused me to comment.

I certainly do NOT disagree with your larger point.

by RadioGirl on Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 01:33:32 PM PDT

•  Back at you (3+ / 0-)

This is a both/and . I think it is also possible for white people to lead anti-racist on their own - not by leading diverse groups but by leading other white people. such actions can be powerful addition to the struggle not in place of broader anti-racist and social justice formations. What if white New Yorkers led an effort demanding the NYC end its "Stop and frisk" policy?

by Lcohen on Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 04:52:59 PM PDT

•  Yes! We should be organizing other (2+ / 0-)
              Lcohen, soothsayer99

white people - and also remain accountable to communities of color for what we do.

Wishing you a great weekend, Lcohen.  Thanks for good conversation on an important point.

by RadioGirl on Fri Jul 09, 2010 at 08:08:28 PM PDT