View Diary: Can an electoral wave wash out a financial edge? (132 comments)

•  Yeah, right... (2+ / 0-)
    Tom Taaffe, libertyvalence

This election is shaping up as a contest between the outright deceit and insanity of the Republican Party versus the not-so-subtle deceptions and corporate servitude of the Democratic Party. May the best Party win...since we the American people are going to be fucked either way.

"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never" W. Churchill

by Momus on Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 10:00:06 AM PDT

•  This is cyncial (1+ / 0-)
      Egalitare

We are frankly a better party because we stretched our reach beyond our base. This is what Dean did as party chair. This is what many on this site did in finding common ground with an assortment of 2006 candidates who are more conservative than we are.

yeah, I despair of it at times as well. But never enough to think that the Republicans offer any kind of alterantive. And I don't think there has been any point in my lifetime that the GOP has been loonier, less ethical, more beholden to its nutjob fringe, and with a worse recent track record than today.

Have you heard? The vice president's gone mad. - Bob Dylan, 1966

by textus on Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 01:28:04 PM PDT

•  Dean is gone, the old gang is back (1+ / 0-)
        libertyvalence

Dean did get some energy going and he opened the party up a bit. But when he left, the old gang took over again and went back to their lame-ass, crooked, graft-guzzling ways.

No amount of money will save them when they haven't done shit about jobs, joblessness and the death of living wage work in this country.

They saved the banks that bankrupted me, but they left me to drown. Do you realize how bad that looks up here in the cheap seats?  Bullshitting us with vague promises and ephemeral corporate-welfare won't work, because we feel lied to and betrayed by your false promises in 2008. Indeed, you will meet our rage instead.

And across the country, the economically privileged among us have utterly forgotten, abandoned and betrayed the poor and the working class. Without those communities, Democrats don't have a chance.

•  Dean is hardly gone. (0+ / 0-)

He just isn't party Chair any more. DFA still exists. I have no connection to it, but would give those of you who do much credit for Dean having such a successful tenure as party chair.

I got hurt too, let me tell you. I still blame Bush more, particularly since his third treasury secretary apparently chose to let Lehman fail mainly over a personal issue.

I don't know that I feel "lied to and betrayed." But then, I voted for HRC in the primary. I'm fine with Obama, but I've always considered Obama more a centrist with progressive leanings than anything else. I think he goes too far, but the guys he has surrounded himself with I am much more impressed with than the McAllife-era bunch of ex-Clinton types. I think they, among other things, totally screwed up HRC;s run for the presidency.

Have you heard? The vice president's gone mad. - Bob Dylan, 1966

by textus on Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 05:08:27 PM PDT

•  Do you mean the unelected power (0+ / 0-)

establishment of the DNC? That would put bothparties on the right and mousy little us on the other side. No wonder I could give a shit less what happens them.

Liberty Valence Saying, ''consumer protection'' is like saying, ''slavery protection.''

by libertyvalence on Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 06:01:15 PM PDT

•  Oh, so the R's are worse? Is that (0+ / 0-)

news because now they are worser than ever?
             If politicians cannot compromise because Congress and the President accommodate en bloc the unelected money and power interests
        then legislators can vote according to what they can get away with.

Do I have to name them? Too many.

by libertyvalence on Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 06:08:12 PM PDT

•  You know the answer to this (0+ / 0-)

The GOP has been on a slow creep since lord knows when toward a seven-fold reaction to its perceived slights. Nixon had to resign. Let's impeach Clinton. Bush used a stolen election to ranm a bunch of activist revisionist right-wing judges and some of them got delayed. Let's stop almost every Obama appointment.

Yeah, our guys are too wedded to "unelected money and power interests" than I'd like, but supporting the GOP isn't an option. Treasonous scum. They have rationalized torture. They made a religion of deregulation. They practiced cronyism at a higher level than this country had experienced before. They abused the poltiical process.

How can you even think of acquiescing to a group taking back over goverrnment that would run ads implicating a political opponent in the torture and murder of a DEA agent because he happened to own stock in a bank where drug smugglers had a checking account?

I could go on with more examples but you get my point.

Have you heard? The vice president's gone mad. - Bob Dylan, 1966

by textus on Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 04:39:40 AM PDT

•  I have dropped the 'our guys'/' their guys' (0+ / 0-)

bullshit.
                Politics is an integral part of the sports entertainment business. All entertainment and business with a sprinkling of sports.
                  The political parties hate each other in the same way that dogs trained to fight hate each other. Pundits, pollsters, strategists and party operatives get all the benefits.
                 Citizen partisans are gamblers, they will never be respected just as everyone addicted to oil will never get ant respect because they have no self respect.
            If you want to change things you have to find a way to do it yourselves. Relying or looking to a government whose elected officials can no longer compromise but accommodate en bloc unelected power and money interests is hallucinating.
                   Politicians vote according to what they think they can get away with. In the case of someone like Ben Nelson, that is a lot.
               I do not focus at the horrible particulars from which people so easily generalize from and react to with vitriol that inspires further outrage. Cynicism is conservatism is nihilism. It is a spiritual conflict and I will not accept conservative behavior to defend myself. That leaves them the winner. That leaves politics with an important but narrow role. It is not fulfilling that role.
              My opinion, go in peace, I mean you no disrespect.

by libertyvalence on Mon Jul 12, 2010 at 11:00:48 AM PDT